Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
    I don't have a problem with our ranking or the 1st place vote. We finished 6th last year but would have finished 2nd or 3rd playing anybody but Clemson. I break the season down into 3 parts: Army/NW (the 10 win potential wrapped up in a Pyrrhic Chicago hot dog); Baylor-UVA (Jones was out or medically cleared); Pitt-Wake (no bodies left for rush defense).

I am jinxing it, but I fear we could easily finish 7th (and 0-8) with a significant injury to Harris (part 2 deja vu) or by universally surrendering 250+ yards on the ground again (part 3 deja vu). The schedule favors UVA, VT, and Miami, but we are capable of beating or losing to every ACC team on the schedule in 2019 without getting 14+ points gift wrapped +/-. Consistency and momentum wins the Coastal in 2019 for everybody.

The pollsters are just trying to look smart. Although UVA is a reasonable pick, a different ACC team has won it every year since 2012. It's UVA's turn since they are the only one left. The other smart pollsters will pick a team ranked 5th or lower since the winner has almost always come from that spot. I'm really having a hard time seeing GT or UNC win more than 1 ACC road game (or really any at all) right now, making us the best choice of those three.

The X factor to me right now is whether the Clemson grad transfer RB chooses VT. That might be enough to swing things in their favor decisively even if Foster's defense gives up 25 PPG instead of the usual <20.

IIRC....the best Tennessee team Cut coached (as OC) was the first team right after the run of Peyton Manning at UT. Good omen?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Now if we get a kicker on a watchlist I’m excited.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    IIRC...the best Tennessee team Cut coached (as OC) was the first team right after the run of Peyton Manning at UT. Good omen?
    I bet the QB of that team had more than 2 P5 offers - just saying.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I bet the QB of that team had more than 2 P5 offers - just saying.
    Which would be one more than the recent 6th pick of the NFL Draft had...

Tee Martin, who followed Peyton, set a record for completed passes in a row that year (1998) and was then first team all-SEC the next year. Seven players from that 1998 team were first or second team all-SEC, and at least six of the players were drafted by the pros after that season alone. They had Peerless Price at WR

If we got all that — we’re set.

Deon Jackson Named Preseason All-ACC

Duke junior running back Deon Jackson was named to the 2019 Preseason All-ACC Team by a vote of 173 credentialed media members at last week’s ACC Football Kickoff in Charlotte.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I am so excited to see how we use Deon's immense and varied talents. If he can stay healthy he is going to have a monster year.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I am so excited to see how we use Deon's immense and varied talents. If he can stay healthy he is going to have a monster year.
    Yes and yes!!!!!

Is this the ACC version of a "watch?"

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The same goes for Brittain Brown who is another proven playmaker. I'm excited to see all our running backs in action as we have a lot of talent and depth.
    Bob Green

The same goes for Brittain Brown who is another proven playmaker. I'm excited to see all our running backs in action as we have a lot of talent and depth.
    Really looking forward to what Cut comes up with for Alabama. I’m not unrealistic about the challenge, but I expect Cut will have a workable game plan if we can execute it.

I hear Cut’s gonna split Jackson and Brown as wideouts with a naked backfield and throw mostly bubble screens with the occasional QB draw.😀

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I hear Cut’s gonna split Jackson and Brown as wideouts with a naked backfield and throw mostly bubble screens with the occasional QB draw.😀
    Dude, taunting Bob may cause adverse health reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Haha...I realize you are (partly) kidding around but I'm sure we will see the naked backfield a lot this coming season because the offense achieved success running that formation last season. The formation will provide opportunities to get the ball into playmaker hands with space to operate. Here are two examples (plays start at 2:30 and 4:00 mark of video clip):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKWgO5v2st8

As far as the screen passes go, I'm not one who complains about them a lot because they set up downfield passes such as this TD pass from Jones to Quay Chambers against Notre Dame (play starts at :38 second mark of video clip) when two defenders stick with Shaun Wilson in the flat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9wdmpy96ow&t=48s

This is the same play to the opposite side of the field with Quentin Harris hitting a wide open T.J. Rahming in the win over Baylor (play starts at :52 second mark of video clip):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QULqVvZy2eI

Those downfield TD passes are the result of the defense keying on the running back in the flat. Thirty-eight days to kick off! Who is ready for football?
    Bob Green

Haha...I realize you are (partly) kidding around but I'm sure we will see the naked backfield a lot this coming season because the offense achieved success running that formation last season. The formation will provide opportunities to get the ball into playmaker hands with space to operate. Here are two examples (plays start at 2:30 and 4:00 mark of video clip):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKWgO5v2st8

As far as the screen passes go, I'm not one who complains about them a lot because they set up downfield passes such as this TD pass from Jones to Quay Chambers against Notre Dame (play starts at :38 second mark of video clip) when two defenders stick with Shaun Wilson in the flat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9wdmpy96ow&t=48s

This is the same play to the opposite side of the field with Quentin Harris hitting a wide open T.J. Rahming in the win over Baylor (play starts at :52 second mark of video clip):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QULqVvZy2eI

Those downfield TD passes are the result of the defense keying on the running back in the flat. Thirty-eight days to kick off! Who is ready for football?
    Raises hand immediately.

Great finds, Bob.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

5th year

I think our QB is going to be great. Why put in all the hard work. The coaches see it . Otherwise go with the younger cats. I think at the end of the year he will be sorely missed. Brace yourselves, this year is going to be special- 11-3!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Tee Martin, who followed Peyton, set a record for completed passes in a row that year (1998) and was then first team all-SEC the next year. Seven players from that 1998 team were first or second team all-SEC, and at least six of the players were drafted by the pros after that season alone. They had Peerless Price at WR

If we got all that — we’re set.
    Since I don't think our bar is set at being National Champs, I don't think it's likely nor necessary that we have "all that." The key is, do we have enough to go 6-6 or better? I think QH will play well enough to do that - less worried about him than I am about O line, receivers, depth on D, kicking game.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    ... a different ACC team has won it every year since 2012 ...
    2019 Champ: ??? (presumably 6 wins needed) -- prior year (teams w/ 3-5 wins: GT, UVa, Mia, VT, Duke)
    2018 Champ: Pitt (6-2) - prior year 3-5
    2017 Champ: Mia (7-1) - prior year 5-3
    2016 Champ: VT (6-2) - prior year 4-4
    2015 Champ: UNC (8-0) - prior year 4-4
    2014 Champ: GT (6-2) - prior year 5-3
    2013 Champ: Duke (6-2) - prior year 3-5