Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Do you have a link? That's interesting re VPI.
    https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Fo...ransferPortal/

By my "quick" count, I saw 10. There might be more.

Sorry for the slow reply.

Thanks. That is a great link with a wealth of info.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Starting WR Aaron Young has announced he is graduating and will transfer to another school. Big blow.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Starting WR Aaron Young has announced he is graduating and will transfer to another school. Big blow.
    Man that ruins my day. Dang.

And is it just me, or did we really get only a tiny whiff of potential out of Young and Anthony Nash....while over relying on a couple of receivers who I think had little of the top end potential of those two?

Wow! This catches me completely by surprise. Huge impact.
    Bob Green

Dang I really thought he was primed for a big year n would help our Receivers have a big year!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Yeah, I thought he might be our top receiver next year if he were healthy.

Of course, this raises a huge question of who will we be seeing at WR next year? I'm ignoring the TE position for now even though they will likely factor in heavily because while they are talented they are somewhat of a known commodity (Noah Gray, Mark Birmingham, and likely we'll see some more Marwede).

Mostly based on name recognition for last year, two of the leaders would be Jake Bobo and Damond Philyaw-Johnson (downfield threat). I thought there was another young WR who saw some snaps late in the season who was kind of a burner, but either the stats I'm looking at are wrong or I am misremembering. Philyaw-Johnson has by far the best name, so at the very least he has that going for him. Could this be the year of Scott Bracey?

As far as new faces, we had two early enrollees at WR this year, Eli Pancol and Darrell Harding. Both are big guys, listed at 6-4 and 6-3 respectively. I would guess at least one of those two sees meaningful action as a true freshman. I don't know enough about them to speculate which. My bet would be Harding, who has an outstanding offer sheet.

We also have two other incoming WR who will be arriving in the fall, Jalon Calhoun (5'11) and Jordan Waters (6'1). This is a position where we routinely play true freshmen, so any of these guys could factor in (although based on offer sheets I would expect both to redshirt, but maybe we got a diamond in the rough with them).

Then we have the young guys we haven't seen yet (unless one of these is the burner I thought I remembered from earlier!). Jarrett Garner and Dennis Smith both redshirted last year, but could factor in.

My (completely non-insider and non-expert) guess:

Likely Starters:
    Bobo, Philyaw-Johnson, Darrell Harding

In the rotation/contending to start:
    Eli Pancol, Dennis Smith, Jarrett Garner

Wildcards:
    Scott Bracey, Jalon Calhoun, Jordan Waters

Worth noting this is not a super deep position this year. The above is pretty much every WR on the roster excluding walk-ons which means we only have two guys not on the two-deep available and that assumes nobody redshirts this year (the math may sound wrong, but our third WR position almost always has an x OR y for the backup of the 3rd spot, which means our three WR 2 deep generally includes 7 players).
    Last edited by Acymetric; 01-30-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Yeah, I thought he might be our top receiver next year if he were healthy.

Of course, this raises a huge question of who will we be seeing at WR next year? I'm ignoring the TE position for now even though they will likely factor in heavily because while they are talented they are somewhat of a known commodity (Noah Gray, Mark Birmingham, and likely we'll see some more Marwede).

Mostly based on name recognition for last year, two of the leaders would be Jake Bobo and Damond Philyaw-Johnson (downfield threat). I thought there was another young WR who saw some snaps late in the season who was kind of a burner, but either the stats I'm looking at are wrong or I am misremembering. Philyaw-Johnson has by far the best name, so at the very least he has that going for him. Could this be the year of Scott Bracey?

Garner is the speed guy you were thinking of....and he's turned out to be faster in football situations than Philyaw Johnson, who is a track sprinter. We need Garner to break out, big time. I was hoping it would be him and Young.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Garner is the speed guy you were thinking of...and he's turned out to be faster in football situations than Philyaw Johnson, who is a track sprinter. We need Garner to break out, big time. I was hoping it would be him and Young.
    I'm guessing he was targeted but never recorded a catch, and played in few enough games (less than 5) to keep his redshirt? I was thinking it might have been Garner but I couldn't find anything indicating he accumulated stats and since he still got the redshirt it was hard to tell if he played. Thanks!

I'll update my wild speculation above and guess that Bobo will start, with Harding, Garner, and Philyaw-Johnson competing for the other two spots.

If with your contacts you run across any insight into this, I'd be very grateful...

Austin Davis made an AAF roster: https://aaf.com/salt-lake-stallions/roster

Quentin Harris interview

David Shumate interview with Quentin Harris:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

DS: Let’s talk about you a little bit, taking over as the starter heading into the spring. You’ve played quite a bit so it’s not like it will be new for you to be on the field, but I would still think it’s a different mentality as you go into the offseason.
    QH: Definitely. I think it’s a little different but I think having the experience in the past where I was the starter while Daniel was hurt, going through those reps in practice, I’ve learned the right way to prepare each week, studying how guys did it before me, like Thomas Sirk and Daniel. I think that allows me to believe in myself, know that I can do this and take this team where we want to go. That being said, we’re going to take it one week at a time. I’m very confident in the guys we have coming back.
    Good stuff.
    Bob Green

David Shumate interview with Quentin Harris:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Good stuff.
    Thanks for the link! Good read for sure. That said, I had to chuckle a little bit at the spin from Shumate:

Coming out of high school you were characterized, or at least discussed, as one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks.
    I'm not trying to rag on Harris...but while he was a solid 3 star prospect I don't think there was any chatter that he was "one of the top" dual threat QBs.

New QB with all new receivers is a scary proposition with our schedule next year.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New QB with all new receivers is a scary proposition with our schedule next year.
    It could, equally, be an exciting proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I agree...our receiver corps was experienced, but not that dynamic. Jackson out of the backfield appeared to be the biggest break away threat. And Bobo had the best hands on the team, albeit with small body of work to show for it. So I'm kinda excited to see what we have with Garner getting more PT...and more Bobo and Deon. (admittedly, I was MORE excited when I thought Aaron Young was coming back).

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Alabama will not have much film on us. We’ve got them just where we want them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Alabama will not have much film on us. We’ve got them just where we want them.
    Hear! Hear! With the Dragon Con the same weekend bringing 70K to the city plus Atlanta Black Pride hosting a weekend event, Atlanta will be so full of folks that the blank film dilemma will be a part of an even bigger picture. I'm aware that Alabama is accustomed to the fanfare of national championship games, but Dragon Con is something else altogether!

Where will the RVs park? They'll be there no later than Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Hear! Hear! With the Dragon Con the same weekend bringing 70K to the city plus Atlanta Black Pride hosting a weekend event, Atlanta will be so full of folks that the blank film dilemma will be a part of an even bigger picture. I'm aware that Alabama is accustomed to the fanfare of national championship games, but Dragon Con is something else altogether!

Where will the RVs park? They'll be there no later than Thursday.
    Really?!? Damn, now I have a scheduling conflict.

I better make hotel reservations, got my tix ordered through Iron Dukes but it’s gonna be crA-z.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Really?!? Damn, now I have a scheduling conflict.

I better make hotel reservations, got my tix ordered through Iron Dukes but it’s gonna be crA-z.
    Please check your messages.