Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I generally agree with your substantive analysis, but I wouldn't look to NET for substance. I'd much rather look at Pomeroy and T-Rank, both of whom has MSU at #3, despite the injury problem. And yes, MSU lost to Louisville and Kansas, but McQuaid was out against Louisville and Winston got in foul trouble, so MSU had to use a freshman PG who just isn't ready yet. And Kansas still had Azubuike, who made them a much better team.

As to matchups, I agree that Ward wouldn't be a big problem for Duke and that Duke should be able to contain Winston. And MSU still has turnover problems. Still, MSU is tough. We'll know more after they've played Michigan twice.
    Fair enough with regards to the NET, I was just using that as the best available tool... when the "talking heads" point to how well MSU is playing and the "quality wins" they are having it's implied (at least to me) that something along those lines is what justifies calling something a "quality win", which is why I attempted to deconstruct that notion a bit.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Ha ha, the next one!

Looking at others' responses, I guess I'm just a nervous Nellie, but EVERY tourney game makes me anxious regardless of the opponent.
    Good. I was scrolling through in fear that I was alone.

And any team filled with Seniors makes me doubly nervous. Uh Mercer...

Any 8 or 9....

If we're a number one seed, any 8 or 9 seed in the second round. To me that's always been the nervous round...8s and 9s are generally power conference teams who are used to playing some elite competition, and beating them from time to time. So a top ranked team, carrying the weight of expectations, ends up playing much better teams than whoever benefits from the usual 3-14 or 4-13 or 5-12 upsets...

The 1 seeds simply cannot benefit from that...(though last year an 8-9 team did...)

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I think I need to stop talking down about MSU, because it seems like they're reading my posts and taking it as bulletin board material the way the keep pulling out wins, haha. Now for the reverse jinx... MSU isn't going to lose a game until they play Michigan! It'll be the game of the century in the B1G! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I think I need to stop talking down about MSU, because it seems like they're reading my posts and taking it as bulletin board material the way the keep pulling out wins, haha. Now for the reverse jinx... MSU isn't going to lose a game until they play Michigan! It'll be the game of the century in the B1G! Haha.
    I doubt that you are that important. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I doubt that you are that important. 😂
    I don't know, I'm pretty sure Tom Izzo must read my stuff. I've made my Sparty hate pretty clear... hahaha.

If we get the number one seed overall, then it should be a much easier path to the final four. As long as the committee don’t pull some wierd stuff!

Not worried about any team out there except maybe Gonzaga. They are hella deep and matchup well against us. But I’m sure if we meet them again in the championship game, we will be extra motivated to get revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    If we get the number one seed overall, then it should be a much easier path to the final four. As long as the committee don’t pull some wierd stuff!

Not worried about any team out there except maybe Gonzaga. They are hella deep and matchup well against us. But I’m sure if we meet them again in the championship game, we will be extra motivated to get revenge.
    Hate to state the obvious, but if you need revenge as a motivating factor for a championship game than something’s not right.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hate to state the obvious, but if you need revenge as a motivating factor for a championship game than something’s not right.
    If I may....it's got nothing to do with "need" as far as motivation goes....but you never know when there's a little "edge" related to something that might've been said in Maui etc.

Do teams need extra motivation for a title game? Absolutely not. Does a little extra help? Hey, ask the Patriots about this weekend. Ask the Eagles about last year's Super Bowl.

Kentucky. Because they'll be much better than in November and would be itching for payback.

No other team worries me specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Kentucky. Because they'll be much better than in November and would be itching for payback.

No other team worries me specifically.
    Beat me to it .do not wish to see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Not anyone that we would be projected to meet in the Final Four (i.e. fellow 1 seeds, hopefully). At that stage, you have to expect a tough game.

But teams that will be better than their seeds. This list will grow as we get closer to March but Nevada is going to be somebody's terrifying 4/5 seed.
    LSU as a 4/5 seed. Just a very talented, very athletic team.

I notice Nugget already mentioned them much earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I would agree it makes little sense to think about which other Top 10 teams/potential Elite 8 opponents we would be concerned about, since everyone in there is good and can beat you. But, I can think of a few teams I would rather avoid in the upset-range 2nd Round and Sweet 16:

2nd round: agree that it's the teams with hyper athleticism who could possibly take advantage of us inside if we have an off shooting night. I'd be very nervous to see Maryland or LSU as the 7-10 seeds in our region. They would both be live underdogs in 2nd rounds, with lots of athleticism plus very good PGs -- although with Tre's superb on-ball defense, we are less susceptible to being killed off the dribble by Cowan or Waters than in years past.

Sweet 16: In addition to the possibility of teams like Nevada and Marquette, which don't play much defense but could get so offensively hot they might shoot us out of the gym by hitting 15-20 threes, I would prefer to stay away from a rematch against Kentucky, especially if it were in Louisville where the South region is being played.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    LSU as a 4/5 seed. Just a very talented, very athletic team.

I notice Nugget already mentioned them much earlier in the thread.
    After watching a few minutes of this game, came here to post exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    After watching a few minutes of this game, came here to post exactly this.
    Vitale predicted tonight they'd beat Kentucky...or at least that LSU would give UK serious trouble.

Louisville!!!

The way this crowd is playing tonight, a sixteen seed. Maybe even the Notre Dame women.

LSU also has a PG who really wanted to come to Duke. Duke made initial contact and then for some reason (possibly his father's involvement) just dropped contact. It seems that similar players have used that as motivation to burn Duke in the past (Battle comes to mind this year).

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    LSU also has a PG who really wanted to come to Duke. Duke made initial contact and then for some reason (possibly his father's involvement) just dropped contact. It seems that similar players have used that as motivation to burn Duke in the past (Battle comes to mind this year).
    Louisville?

Not Louisville anymore. They'd have to be shook.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    yes, including the year LSU beat Duke in the NCAAT...