DBR Podcast #142 - Cam... Just... Did... That!

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/db...-just-did-that

Welcome to the party, Cameron Reddish! We bask in the glory of the biggest shot of the year (so far). Plus, it is time to look ahead to the matchup between #1 and #1.

Timestamps:

0:00 Byrd Campbell was cheering
    0:30 Welcome to the pod, in which Donald is not worried by lots of snow on the ground
    1:25 Recapping Cam Reddish’s heroics against FSU
    5:30 To be clear, the play was called for Cam. He was option #1 when the game was on the line
    8:20 We need to talk about rebounding and how bad it was once Zion went out
    10:45 Phil Cofer has been at Florida State since 1964
    13:00 Fast break points, a key stat in this game
    15:40 Sam speaks the 4 most predictable words of any Duke January… “the rotation has shrunk”
    19:50 Looking back at Zion’s inhuman performance against Wake
    24:50 Duke welcomes Wake to the block party
    26:00 Sam unveils “Blockadile Dundee” and we like it
    28:15 Thanks to Byrd Campbell, a pair of former Durkeys who love the pod
    28:55 Looking ahead to the game Syracuse… and the week of playing slowly
    32:30 Jason talks about how god-awful Syracuse is at shooting the ball
    36:30 #1 vs #1, we preview the big game against Virginia
    37:25 Sam is glad we get them in Cameron first
    41:00 Donald talks about the unstoppable force vs. the immovable object
    45:25 Player of the week time
    47:55 Parting Shots – Donald gives Sam the Black Tenting Quiz… with Jason grumbling in the background
    56:50 Parting Shots – Sam on how NC State and UNC is always the same… every single time
    59:45 Parting Shots – Jason on Coach K’s good advice for men in answer questions from women
    1:04:10 Good bye and Duke band
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I have spent at least 10-15 minutes studying the image on the front page article about this week's podcast. It is so fabulous!

Yes, the players reacting to Cam is great, but look beyond that to the background. There are Duke fans, amid the sea of FSU supporters, with arms raised and hugging each other. There are FSU fans in utter disbelief, including one who has his face fully buried in his hands (his son, next to him, seems to be screaming for joy, but is more likely screaming in pain). Many of the FSU faithful have a look of dispassionate resignation on their faces, like they knew what was coming and have fully accepted their fate. I spotted some "Beat Duke" FSU t-shirts, something almost unfathomable to me. We aren't rivals with FSU, are we? Can you imagine a "beat FSU" t-shirt in Duke blue? It would make no sense.

Anyway, enjoy the photo and enjoy the pod...

-Jason "I totally forgot to mention in the UVA preview that they play Va Tech this week before they play us... I wonder if the Cavs can avoid looking ahead to our game?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have spent at least 10-15 minutes studying the image on the front page article about this week's podcast. It is so fabulous!

I spotted some "Beat Duke" FSU t-shirts, something almost unfathomable to me. We aren't rivals with FSU, are we? Can you imagine a "beat FSU" t-shirt in Duke blue? It would make no sense.

-Jason "I totally forgot to mention in the UVA preview that they play Va Tech this week before they play us... I wonder if the Cavs can avoid looking ahead to our game?" Evans
    Couple thoughts...can't wait to dig into the podcast....and on the Beat Duke t shirts, I am not at all surprised. We aren't BB rivals with FSU per se, but Duke at FSU has been a huge event down there for nearly 30 years, since the Noles joined the conference. This is especially true when Duke is ranked 1. Duke BB has a lot of non rival one sided rivalries.

Also, there was a certain UConn game years ago where there were a lot of Duck Fuke tees in the crowd....and it wasn't even a Duke game. (I think it was UConn).

is Nate James (or is it Nolan, I will blame the resolution...) holding a juice box?

Surprised there was no mention of Dick Vitale. His schtick was so tiring after about 8 minutes that I had to put the TV on mute. Even moreso than usual.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    is Nate James (or is it Nolan, I will blame the resolution...) holding a juice box?
    Nolan... and he is holding a piece of paper and a pen, not a juice box. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Yes, the players reacting to Cam is great, but look beyond that to the background. There are Duke fans, amid the sea of FSU supporters, with arms raised and hugging each other. There are FSU fans in utter disbelief, including one who has his face fully buried in his hands (his son, next to him, seems to be screaming for joy, but is more likely screaming in pain). Many of the FSU faithful have a look of dispassionate resignation on their faces, like they knew what was coming and have fully accepted their fate. I spotted some "Beat Duke" FSU t-shirts, something almost unfathomable to me. We aren't rivals with FSU, are we? Can you imagine a "beat FSU" t-shirt in Duke blue? It would make no sense.

Anyway, enjoy the photo and enjoy the pod...

Great post and observations, Jason!

I note the large number of FSU fans who simply have their arms folded in front of them.

I also noticed what must have been a slightly stealth Duke fan center top in a coral colored shirt with his fist raised in excitement.

Without being able to zoom in (I did try to download from your post and open it, to no avail), I can't find any truly iconic image capture like "Crying Carolina Girl," but this is a great shot none-the-less.

I'm also still trying to find Waldo.

But most importantly, are there any DBRers in the shot?

I downloaded the photo from the front page and picked out a few good shots I call

Happy Couple:

happy couple.JPG

Huh?

huh.JPG

Arms Crossed:

folded arms.JPG

Crossed arm, BTW, in body language is described as such:

The arms crossed on chest gesture is universal and is decoded with the same defensive or negative meaning almost everywhere. It is commonly seen among strangers in public meetings, in queues or restaurant lines, elevators or anywhere that people feel uncertain or insecure.

I liked the shot ESPN showed of a young man dressed in his Duke wear and I guess his dad in FSU garb. I would have liked to have seen their reaction after THE SHOT.
    I bet it would have been awesome. GoDuke!

I know it was not THE SHOT but it was in the top 10.
    Last edited by jv001; 01-14-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: not THE SHOT!!!1

It was such a memorable game andd heroic performance by Duke that I was glad when you did a podcast. You did mention the physical nature of the game but thought more could have been said about that aspect. How much physicality is appropriate and acceptable within the rules as written? Does a referee, like Teddy Valentine, have the right to bend the rules to allow heavy contact without calling a foul? Sure seemed like the ncaa would have some guidelines as I thought this game was an extreme example.

Finally listened today. Overall another excellent podcast, but boy guys, did you have your expectations for the Syracuse game wrong, and I'm not talking about winning, because no one could forecast that Cam would be sick or that Tre would go down. I knew I had read elsewhere here that the pace of play Syracuse forced was slow, as y'all discussed at length. And yet at halftime the score was 49-48. And at the 10:39 mark of the second half, we had 75 points, on pace for 100, and that's well after Tre went down. Had we had a better shooting night, we would have gotten close in regulation and there wouldn't have been an OT. I don't think 'Cuse tried to slow us or the pace down at all.

Sort of wish that #143 would come out today or tomorrow so you could discuss what you expect with Tre out, and Cam's health still an unknown.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com