Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Shhhh. Don’t tell Old Dukie ...
    Old Dukie knows better...teams that mix up their defenses when needed will win the big ones. Just review what happened to UNC today if you need proof.

i'm pretty sure my direct quote on chat was: Cam is going to save us today!"
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Awesome win !

Keys for Syracuse

Get healthy Zion!

It's in MONDAY. I really don't like how ACC has one day turns... Used to be a Wednesday - Saturday league and sometimes you played Saturday - Tuesday or Sunday - Wednesday. But not a one day turn. That's tough coming off FSU who is soooooo physical. I wish you always got two days between

That zone. Would be nice to have an extra day to prep for the most unique D we face.

At least it's at home.

we do get extra days to prep for UVA who looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you'd seen the shot go in by then.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Shhhh. Don’t tell Old Dukie ...
    Never play zone?...LOL! Zone D today would have covered for many of those lobs and easy pic 'n rolls!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dukie View Post
    Old Dukie knows better...teams that mix up their defenses when needed will win the big ones.
    If you're really an old Dukie, you'd know that Duke's national champions in 1991, 1992, 2001, and 2010 never mixed up their defenses. How does that play into your declaration?

Never play zone?...LOL! Zone D today would have covered for many of those lobs and easy pic 'n rolls!!
    And yet, FSU still only shot 40% from the floor for the game. The main reason the Noles kept it close was because -- as always seems to be the case when Duke plays there -- they benefited from a disproportionate number of trips to the free throw line, where they converted a blistering 20-24 (83.3%). Since Duke was only 9-15 from the line, that accounts for a hefty 11-point advantage to the Noles. It also merits noting that if and when Duke goes to the zone, it's less likely that they'll be able to force as many turnovers, which provide those transition opportunities on which this team excels. Every strategic choice entails a compensating trade-off.

This team, unlike most freshman-dominated squads, has demonstrated that it is capable of playing man-to-man defense at an elite level. So far, it appears that K has chosen wisely in adhering to that defensive strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Awesome win !
    Moved to another thread by GoFurman
    Last edited by -jk; 01-13-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

I generally make it a point to never complain or moan about officiating. I certainly don’t blame refs for losses. Teams have to overcome and make baskets to take the game out of the refs hands.

All that being said, this game is a good example of how a team overcomes, because the officiating in this game, by my eyes was consistently called in an inconsistent manner at either end of the court. This was terrible! Contact on duke players driving was rarely called, while contact on an FSU players was called a foul constantly.

It was pretty glaring. The eye poke is a great example, but there were plenty more.

Something really needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If you're really an old Dukie, you'd know that Duke's national champions in 1991, 1992, 2001, and 2010 never mixed up their defenses. How does that play into your declaration?
    They mixed it up all the time. Sometimes full court man to man, sometimes half court man to man, sometimes three quarter court man to man. I miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Because as we know- you live in the future. Today I celebrated a full 15 sec before I saw the shot go in!

I saw us play zone on only one possession - the final possession of the first half. As soon as we did it I literally turned to my buddy and said we were going to give up a corner three. I get the notion of mixing things up, and it was a good time to try to throw of FSU’s offense, but when we play it so little and likely don’t practice it a whole lot then it’s probably not going to be very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    It was a tale of two halves for Tre. First half, 2 for 9, 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 TO, 2 steals. 2nd half, 2 for 4, 3 boards, 5 assists, no TO, 1 steal. Someone upthread said Tre played the entire game. Nope, he went to the bench for 1 possession in the 2nd half. So 39:32, round it to 40 in the box score. RJ played the entire game.
    This game was against a very big and athletic team and in their arena. It also featured referees who seemed to allow extreme contact against our players. Small wonder some of our guys were a little flummoxed by it and didn't shoot as well or rebound as well as expected. Yet we won and of course did it without our most athletic and strongest player for all but 17 minutes. Still we won and we had a greatly improved game from Cam. NO doubt that he and RJ carried the team. This was a trial by fire and we are unlikely to face any other team that will be as physical or will get away with it as much.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Tre was laser focused. Kid makes the whole show run smoothly.
    I think you just hit the nail on the head, except you spelled Kidd wrong. Tre Jones: Jason Kidd seems like a pretty good comparison to me.

That was worth the trip from RDU. I had a different perspective in person--almost like attending a mass Aztec sacrifice for the last 0.8 seconds. Just get the roads in good shape by the time my plane lands.

I wish I had something substantive to add. That was just an awesome game, and the player we most needed to step up did so throughout the game and also hit the confidence-boosting game-winner. We hopefully see a very good Cam Reddish the rest of the season.

Monday's going to be tough because of the quick turnaround, but if Zion is healthy and we can survive Monday, then Cam's improvement will cause Duke to level up as a team after Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Monday's going to be tough because of the quick turnaround, but if Zion is healthy and we can survive Monday, then Cam's improvement will cause Duke to level up as a team after Monday.
    Yes, tough turn around after big emotional game...and a Syracuse team that will likely be champing at the bit to wash their previous game from their system. And zero time almost to prep for that zone.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Duke Basketball on Twitter has an interesting video of Cam Reddish's shot and the team's celebration. My favorite part is at the 0:52 mark:

Attachment 8947

Pretty sure nobody thought to compare Zion Williamson to Thomas Hill.

(And here's another video, taken from behind the Duke bench.)

This is a classic video and shows how emotional a game can be with the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. This is a keeper and shows how much feeling that Cam and Jack showed coming off the court. whoever took this one hit a home run here.

I don't get the angst about a two day turnaround. This is the same environment at the NCAA Tournament and is what K has worked to prepare the team for all year. I find it a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Duke Basketball on Twitter has an interesting video of Cam Reddish's shot and the team's celebration. My favorite part is at the 0:52 mark:

Attachment 8947

Pretty sure nobody thought to compare Zion Williamson to Thomas Hill.

(And here's another video, taken from behind the Duke bench.)
    Actually Brev - I instantly thought of the Thomas Hill "surrender cobra" - which is normally done in despair, but sometimes done in amazing and emotional win situations. The "surrender cobra" wasn't a thing back in 92...T Hill was a trend setter....