Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    DeLaurier and Bolden needs some fundamental practice blocking out and anticipation for rebounds. We did very badly today in that effort. Actually the whole team could gang rebound.
    See what happens Monday night.

I am hoping Reddish will become consistent and avoid forced errors like any contact after a 3 is shot or mishandling the ball to lose it untouched. White and Jones should shoot better next game against Syracuse. O'Connell needs to give us more off the bench.
    OTOH, if Reddish is out of his shooting slump and Zion’s eye injury is healed, we are scary good. Just in time for Syracuse and UVA next week.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWorkDukie View Post
    Any word on Zion? Assuming he'll be alright, but hoping he didn't scratch his eye badly a la Bags.

We really missed his rebounding out there. Cam, Bolden, and Javin could use some blocking out tips. Zion doesn't always block out, but he meets the ball at its apex and makes up for it with his jumping ability.

Jack boxes out really well and meets the ball at its apex too. Florida state is obviously more physical than any team we've played besides the Zags.
    From a Steve Wiseman tweet after the game:

"Update from Coach K on Zion Williamson injury: Poked in left eye. Experienced double vision. While going thru 2nd-half warmups, realized he couldn't shake it. Postgame the vision cleared up. Should be ok for Syracuse."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Good deal- glad it wasn't worse. Looked like he got poked pretty good, so i'm glad it didn't get scratched. I think bagley's got scratched, if i remember right. His looked a lot worse in terms of blood in the eye, etc

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From a Steve Wiseman tweet after the game:

"Update from Coach K on Zion Williamson injury: Poked in left eye. Experienced double vision. While going thru 2nd-half warmups, realized he couldn't shake it. Postgame the vision cleared up. Should be ok for Syracuse."
    Glad to hear he's healed up. Eyes are scary.

If his persona is anything like its public perception, While Zion would have wanted to be out there, he would have been thrilled for the rest of the team to pull it out like that.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

If his persona is anything like its public perception, While Zion would have wanted to be out there, he would have been thrilled for the rest of the team to pull it out like that.
    K mentioned this specifically in the presser...paraphrasing...said Zion was "almost tearing up, so happy for his teammates...said he had never been a part of anything like this before...'

Made me love that dude even more!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    K mentioned this specifically in the presser...paraphrasing...said Zion was "almost tearing up, so happy for his teammates...said he had never been a part of anything like this before...'

Made me love that dude even more!
    Well, that part was to be expected regardless of the outcome
    April 1

Amazing play call to spring Cam for a wide open shot. Everyone in the building thought that RJ was getting the ball, but Cam had been hot all night. I’m curious as to whether that was the initial play call or whether K switched it after seeing the defense and calling a timeout (or after FSU then called a timeout).

Once the excitement of the win fades and the team analyzes the game, I imagine they’ll see that rebounding was an issue. Obviously not having Zion was a big part of that, but we gave up so many second chance points. Also Zion went up against probably the biggest, most athletic front court he’s faced all year. Got stuffed pretty badly once and stopped on a couple other drives that looked like fouls, but we’re going to have games where the refs allow it. I would have liked to see how he adjusted in the second half.

So happy with the team’s fight. There were several plays that could have been backbreakers, such as FSU banking in a three while Zion writhed on the floor, but we kept coming. We didn’t get as many transition points as we’re used to, but executed well in the half court. Also, we should never play zone, ever. That final possession of the first half was big.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Amazing play call to spring Cam for a wide open shot. Everyone in the building thought that RJ was getting the ball, but Cam had been hot all night. I’m curious as to whether that was the initial play call or whether K switched it after seeing the defense and calling a timeout (or after FSU then called a timeout).

Once the excitement of the win fades and the team analyzes the game, I imagine they’ll see that rebounding was an issue. Obviously not having Zion was a big part of that, but we gave up so many second chance points. Also Zion went up against probably the biggest, most athletic front court he’s faced all year. Got stuffed pretty badly once and stopped on a couple other drives that looked like fouls, but we’re going to have games where the refs allow it. I would have liked to see how he adjusted in the second half.

So happy with the team’s fight. There were several plays that could have been backbreakers, such as FSU banking in a three while Zion writhed on the floor, but we kept coming. We didn’t get as many transition points as we’re used to, but executed well in the half court. Also, we should never play zone, ever. That final possession of the first half was big.
    K was asked that question in the press conference. He said he changed the play after every time out at the end.

Also, we should never play zone, ever. That final possession of the first half was big.
    Shhhh. Don’t tell Old Dukie ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

It's like a football play progression...where the QB goes thru and picks out the receiver who's open based on the defense. On this play, technically RJ is the primary receiver. But K and Duke were pretty sure that FSU would have him covered up, and that the attention to RJ would open up Cam. You can see the QB, Tre, look first at RJ, then go to his second option, Cam, who was wide open.

This was what I thought from watching the game, and the interview with Tre post game confirmed it. In some situations, RJ would probably be open, but the way this game was unfolding, it was clear that RJ would have way too much company in the lane tonight.

Speaking of Zion tearing up...

Duke Basketball on Twitter has an interesting video of Cam Reddish's shot and the team's celebration. My favorite part is at the 0:52 mark:

thomashill.jpg

Pretty sure nobody thought to compare Zion Williamson to Thomas Hill.

(And here's another video, taken from behind the Duke bench.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    2 hrs 20 minutes of TV-Teddy and Vitale. OUCH ! I wouldn't have been surprised if Dicky V would have given Teddy some airtime during the last 30 seconds. An on-court on-camera interview !
    I had the sound muted for 90% of the game. Once when on, I heard Vitale giving advice to Fla State. NO thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Duke Basketball on Twitter has an interesting video of Cam Reddish's shot and the team's celebration. My favorite part is at the 0:52 mark:

thomashill.jpg

Pretty sure nobody thought to compare Zion Williamson to Thomas Hill.

(And here's another video, taken from behind the Duke bench.)
    Both those angles demonstrate what a great call it was with perfect execution. Our son said leornard commented after the game that the wing and/or Cam's area was supposed to have been covered, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Goes to show how amazing Zion is at rebounding and put backs. He was battling some big tough nba sized guys inside. He got doubled and blocked a couple times but he was still putting up a solid shooting percentage and a quiet ten or so (?) points. His first basket attacking their center and laying it in (probably was fouled) was great. I love that he sees a challenge and goes right at them. But you’re right; his superior defensive rebounding and boxout ability in the paint was sorely apparent when he was out and FSU had their way all second half with rebounds and second chance shots... err slam dunks.

So proud of Cam!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I had the sound muted for 90% of the game. Once when on, I heard Vitale giving advice to Fla State. NO thanks.
    He spent most of the game promoting his new book.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    He spent most of the game promoting his new book.
    I may be in the minority, but I still prefer Bilas less and was happy to see he was at the Carolina game.

Super awkward moment today though, when Dick said "I'd trade your age for my salary"...awkward...
    April 1

AOC didn't get much PT tonight but when he was out there he looked overmatched. He has the athleticism and quickness but just made too many mistakes. Fla St is an athletic and tough team so it is no big deal, but AOC needs to play better going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I still prefer Bilas less and was happy to see he was at the Carolina game.

Super awkward moment today though, when Dick said "I'd trade your age for my salary"...awkward...
    Vitale was beaming as he often does "We get paid for this!" The other announcer said "You get paid," I thought insinuating that Dickie V had a much higher salary. Vitale's response later "I'd trade your age for my salary" was awkward, but I think that's where that comment came from.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It's like a football play progression...where the QB goes thru and picks out the receiver who's open based on the defense. On this play, technically RJ is the primary receiver. But K and Duke were pretty sure that FSU would have him covered up, and that the attention to RJ would open up Cam. You can see the QB, Tre, look first at RJ, then go to his second option, Cam, who was wide open.

This was what I thought from watching the game, and the interview with Tre post game confirmed it. In some situations, RJ would probably be open, but the way this game was unfolding, it was clear that RJ would have way too much company in the lane tonight.
    Tre was laser focused. Kid makes the whole show run smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I said something similar upthread, that this was Tre's worst game by far.

I think it was, but he still had a pretty solid day. 6 assists, 1 TO. 6 points isn't great. I think a lot of it was his having to play 40 minutes. Forrest is a heady player with some experience so it didn't shock me that Tre couldn't control him defensively. But he just seemed a little out of whack, a little less in control than he normally is. Doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Would've preferred to see him hit that FT down the stretch though.

I think he needs to shoot more in games we're winning handily to try and get some rhythm. If he becomes comfortable at all shooting the ball, and Cam is like this, we're unbeatable.
    It was a tale of two halves for Tre. First half, 2 for 9, 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 TO, 2 steals. 2nd half, 2 for 4, 3 boards, 5 assists, no TO, 1 steal. Someone upthread said Tre played the entire game. Nope, he went to the bench for 1 possession in the 2nd half. So 39:32, round it to 40 in the box score. RJ played the entire game.