Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I would bet the house that he is fine. Just being overly precautious. And that excess precaution almost cost us the game. Just my opinion, and I'm sure plenty disagree. I'm used to watching UFC where guys routinely get poked in the eye and a doc does eye reflexes and clears them in 60 seconds. Eye pokes can be extremely serious, but he could have been safely cleared at halftime. I think he probably was from the halftime report given to Allison Williams. You think Zion sits the second half if that was the National Championship game with that same eye poke? I don't. I expect other teams to poke us in the eye some more if we're just going to sit players who are ok just to be overly precautious. I get that he is a generational talent with a bright future we're trying to protect. But I think the precautionary take is excessive. I just think we need wins like that because we have so many tougher games left in the ACC. We can't afford to piss away Losses when trying to earn a 1 seed with excessive overprecaution. If there is a legitimate concern somebody is injured - sure sit them. I don't think there was in this case, and it almost cost us the game. We got very lucky. Some costly free throws from Tre and Barrett almost got us this time.

But enjoy the win. Great confidence booster for Cam so it worked out.
    Wow, tough crowd. RJ was 8/9 for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but sideline reporting is generally useless. Definitely less than useless yesterday.
    Just curious, what is less than useless? I consider myself a math geek, but I will have to ponder this. Feels like a double negative. Is less than less actually more?

Clearly, eye need more insight.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    JStuart? Are you reading?
    This thread just brings tears to my eyes....
    Without any direct knowledge from the trainers, my guess is that he had a mild surface 'irregularity' that accounted for the 'double vision' (as opposed to the character in Catch 22 who 'saw everything twice'), and it resolved by the end of the game. I saw no bruises or redness that could have explained lots more, and I doubt if the trainers did anything more than put anaesthetic drops in, and used a soft contact lens as a bandage. They aren't licensed to use dilating drops, I don't believe.
    Now, if Art Chandler was still here, and accompanying the team, all bets would be off!

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    This thread just brings tears to my eyes...
    Without any direct knowledge from the trainers, my guess is that he had a mild surface 'irregularity' that accounted for the 'double vision' (as opposed to the character in Catch 22 who 'saw everything twice'), and it resolved by the end of the game. I saw no bruises or redness that could have explained lots more, and I doubt if the trainers did anything more than put anaesthetic drops in, and used a soft contact lens as a bandage. They aren't licensed to use dilating drops, I don't believe.
    Now, if Art Chandler was still here, and accompanying the team, all bets would be off!
    Are you saying there's no team "doctor" on the travel squad?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Just curious, what is less than useless? I consider myself a math geek, but I will have to ponder this. Feels like a double negative. Is less than less actually more?

Happy to oblige! Useless would be if she (in this case) got no information at all. Thereby, pretty much by definition, useless. (no info = useless)
    But in this case, she reported erroneous information. Zion did not play in the second half despite her two statements that he would.
    Hence her role was clearly negative, which to me is less than useless. (bad info = less than useless).

(I honestly would not have expected him back had she not "reported" he'd return). I did eventually give up the notion.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Maybe it's just me, but sideline reporting is generally useless. Definitely less than useless yesterday.
    You know what aggravated me the most about that play? It wasn't the reporting after, it was Dickie V's overly enthusiastic cheering as FSU nails a three pointer, going 5 on 4 while Zion is writhing under the other basket in pain. I thought he was gonna stroke out celebrating.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Happy to oblige! Useless would be if she (in this case) got no information at all. Thereby, pretty much by definition, useless. (no info = useless)
    But in this case, she reported erroneous information. Zion did not play in the second half despite her two statements that he would.
    Hence her role was clearly negative, which to me is less than useless. (bad info = less than useless).

(I honestly would not have expected him back had she not "reported" he'd return). I did eventually give up the notion.
    Apparently, Zion was warming up for the second half but was a late scratch when he told Nolan that he was having double vision. So I think she described what was planned, but circumstances changed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Apparently, Zion was warming up for the second half but was a late scratch when he told Nolan that he was having double vision. So I think she described what was planned, but circumstances changed.
    I saw Zion warming up on tv as halftime ended and was surprised he didn’t start the second half. Didn’t know about the double vision at that point.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post

Naw. "Less than useless" could be "positively harmful." Now, you ask, how could something be positively harmful?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    EYE
    PUNS
    seem much
    too, too easy
    to make please stop
    i really mean it not joking this time

Reilly,
    Was this serious post, or just a test?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Naw. "Less than useless" could be "positively harmful." Now, you ask, how could something be positively harmful?
    Well, it could produce large volumes of internet chaff thus interfering with substantive discussion.

Oh wait, am I assuming substantive internet discussion?
    Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You know what aggravated me the most about that play? It wasn't the reporting after, it was Dickie V's overly enthusiastic cheering as FSU nails a three pointer, going 5 on 4 while Zion is writhing under the other basket in pain. I thought he was gonna stroke out celebrating.
    Dickie V has become just such an insufferable bore. "Just please God make him stop" is one of the more oft-screamed phrases heard in my home outside of the bedroom I share with my wife (elsewhere it's merely implied.) He's just gone way way way beyond tolerable. Every television remote should come with "Dickie V" button instead of a "mute" button. It's labeled with a icon of someone jamming an ice pick in their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Dickie V has become just such an insufferable bore. "Just please God make him stop" is one of the more oft-screamed phrases heard in my home outside of the bedroom I share with my wife (elsewhere it's merely implied.) He's just gone way way way beyond tolerable. Every television remote should come with "Dickie V" button instead of a "mute" button. It's labeled with a icon of someone jamming an ice pick in their ears.
    I don't question Vitale's love of the game, his friendliness or his enthusiasm; and I gratefully acknowledge all the fund-raising he's done in the fight against cancer.

But at our house, we too watch with the volume muted whenever he's in the booth. It's simply too painful and frustrating to listen to him, and it's been that way for a few years now.

Unfortunately, like too many show biz types, he didn't get off when he should have. Now he's basically a parody of himself as he monopolizes broadcasts with shilling, boosting and name dropping. In other words, he's become the Willard Scott of basketball broadcasting.

I believe his contract with ESPN expires at the end of the 2020-21 season. I pray neither party seeks to renew or extend it.

I'm not seeing how it was intentional. Looked like a simple reach for the ball but Zion lost it and then got hit. It's a fast pace game and the fsu player was collapsing on zion

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Also, no foul was called on the play. Can anyone spot a foul here:

Attachment 8942
    It blows my mind this wasn't called a foul. The FSU player should have been ejected and suspended. When 6'7" 270lbs of solid muscle goes to the ground in pain, there is a pretty good chance that something bad happened.
    Absolutely malicious intent here. You don't go for a basketball with your hand in a gouging position, you have an open hand to grab it. Someone would be hard pressed to convince me that wasn't intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFalcon View Post
    It blows my mind this wasn't called a foul. The FSU player should have been ejected and suspended. When 6'7" 270lbs of solid muscle goes to the ground in pain, there is a pretty good chance that something bad happened.
    Absolutely malicious intent here. You don't go for a basketball with your hand in a gouging position, you have an open hand to grab it. Someone would be hard pressed to convince me that wasn't intentional.
    It was definitely a foul, and clearly should have been whistled as such. That said, I didn't think it looked malicious or intentional—as Gorilla stated below, basketball is a fast-paced game and sometimes hard contact happens. But the fact that it wasn't whistled by any of the officials on the floor was absolutely unconscionable (and there were a number of additional hard fouls that occurred yesterday afternoon that left me a bit baffled, but this was clearly the worst).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Agree. It's gotten to the point where as soon as I hear Vitale is calling the game, I turn the volume down to "0" immediately. The guy has become a caricature of himself...

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    We'll never know but I had the same thoughts.
    Either way, intentional or not, the team now knows!
    K would never admit that in a hundred years, but I think he's coaching for March and that situation was the perfect teacher.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Seems this thread has degenerated ...
    Degenerated, or evolved? I guess beauty is in the ... ah, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    We'll never know but I had the same thoughts.
    Either way, intentional or not, the team now knows!
    Oh, I think we know. There is no way K sits someone who is as important to the team and works as hard as Zion to make a point to the rest of the team. Aside from the fact that it is unfair to Zion, the team is still evolving and learning how to play together and in hostile environments. It is great that they won and a lot of good things happened that they can build on but I am certain K would have preferrd to have Zion in the game and not on the bench.

Can someone change the channel back to the Zion eye vigil network?