Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It wasn't just caution...he had double vision...you can't play that way.
    Doesn’t that just mean that he would score twice as many points?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I hope you are right. If so, I respect the Duke staff for protecting this kid's health even if, in retrospect, it was overly cautious.
    It is only overly cautious in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Doesn’t that just mean that he would score twice as many points?
    And complete a 720 dunk.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

If I am the parent of a recruit I pay attention to the fact that Duke kept Zion out of that half. Especially so if it it was not a clear cut decision.

And I would note that the school had my child’s best interests at heart first and foremost. Even when the temptation to do the opposite is very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    To avoid making a spectacle of yourself?
    This thread couldn't be cornea

And complete a 720 dunk.
    TTrriipppllee double!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    This thread couldn't be cornea
    Iris these puns would stop.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I wonder if you are just spouting off -- not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Ha I'm sure I was spouting off.

I was frustrated because Allison Williams reported at the beginning of the 2nd half that she was told that Zion had been cleared and will return to play in the 2nd half. Then early 2nd half (14:21 to go in game) she clarified that she was told by Duke that Zion had been cleared and "was ok to return" but "they were keeping him out for now." I went back and listened to it all again to make sure that is what she said.

If he was medically cleared to return I was annoyed that he was being kept out if it was overabundant precaution because we clearly needed him. 7 dunks against us in the 2nd half was the most by any team this season in a half. And I'll disagree with Ozzie about January ACC games being meaningless. If we can win the ACC regular season this year, for example, I think we would be virtually guaranteed a 1 seed.

Of course I understand the staff holding him out for persistent double vision. No clue, but as speculated above I wonder if they dilated one eye at halftime to examine it and make sure there was no damage. Maybe eye looked good on exam which is why Duke told Williams he was ok and would return to play in the 2nd half. Dilating one eye with drops but not the other I believe could cause persistent double vision for some time until the dilation drops wear off. (I'm not an opthalmologist but I had to study for and answer lots of neurology questions on my boards.) Maybe that is what happened, and would all make sense. If any opthalmologist on the board could weigh in, that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Iris these puns would stop.
    Put a lid on it

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Put a lid on it
    Quit trying to brow-beat people

Quit trying to brow-beat people
    Agreed. No need to lash out.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Agreed. No need to lash out.
    I (sp?) see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post

I was frustrated because Allison Williams reported at the beginning of the 2nd half that she was told that Zion had been cleared and will return to play in the 2nd half. Then early 2nd half (14:21 to go in game) she clarified that she was told by Duke that Zion had been cleared and "was ok to return" but "they were keeping him out for now." I went back and listened to it all again to make sure that is what she said.

If he was medically cleared to return I was annoyed that he was being kept out if it was overabundant precaution because we clearly needed him. 7 dunks against us in the 2nd half was the most by any team this season in a half. And I'll disagree with Ozzie about January ACC games being meaningless. If we can win the ACC regular season this year, for example, I think we would be virtually guaranteed a 1 seed.

Of course I understand the staff holding him out for persistent double vision. No clue, but as speculated above I wonder if they dilated one eye at halftime to examine it and make sure there was no damage. Maybe eye looked good on exam which is why Duke told Williams he was ok and would return to play in the 2nd half. Dilating one eye with drops but not the other I believe could cause persistent double vision for some time until the dilation drops wear off. (I'm not an opthalmologist but I had to study for and answer lots of neurology questions on my boards.) Maybe that is what happened, and would all make sense. If any opthalmologist on the board could weigh in, that would be awesome.
    JStuart? Are you reading?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Given that the associate head coach on the sidelines got his career derailed by a poke in the eye, I’d imagine that they would be super cautious with any eye injury.

I (sp?) see what you did there.
    Trippin’, you are really on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Also, no foul was called on the play. Can anyone spot a foul here:

Attachment 8942
    This was the lead picture on ESPN and CBS with a caption that said “Zion Williamson attempted to break FSU player’s fingers with his eye...did K coach him to do this”?

Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Trippin’, you are really on the ball.
    I'm happy he lens us his insight on a regular basis.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I would bet the house that he is fine. Just being overly precautious. And that excess precaution almost cost us the game. Just my opinion, and I'm sure plenty disagree. I'm used to watching UFC where guys routinely get poked in the eye and a doc does eye reflexes and clears them in 60 seconds. Eye pokes can be extremely serious, but he could have been safely cleared at halftime. I think he probably was from the halftime report given to Allison Williams. You think Zion sits the second half if that was the National Championship game with that same eye poke? I don't. I expect other teams to poke us in the eye some more if we're just going to sit players who are ok just to be overly precautious. I get that he is a generational talent with a bright future we're trying to protect. But I think the precautionary take is excessive. I just think we need wins like that because we have so many tougher games left in the ACC. We can't afford to piss away Losses when trying to earn a 1 seed with excessive overprecaution. If there is a legitimate concern somebody is injured - sure sit them. I don't think there was in this case, and it almost cost us the game. We got very lucky. Some costly free throws from Tre and Barrett almost got us this time.

But enjoy the win. Great confidence booster for Cam so it worked out.
    Jon Scheyer can attest to that. His poke in the eye was career changing.

EYE
    PUNS
    seem much
    too, too easy
    to make please stop
    i really mean it not joking this time

Maybe it's just me, but sideline reporting is generally useless. Definitely less than useless yesterday.