Mid-Season All-Americans

SI has unveiled their mid-season awards... which is a really important thing to track.

Anyway, here is their list:
    First team: Zion, Grant Williams (Tenn), Markus Howard (Marq), Ja Morant (Murray St), Jarrett Culver (Texas Tech)
    Second team: Rui Hachimura (Zags), Dedric Lawson (Kansas), Ethan Happ(Wiscy), Casius Winston (MSU), RJ

Hon Mention: Carsen Edwards, Purdue; Brandon Clarke, Gonzaga; Ty Jerome, Virginia; Kyle Guy, Virginia; Shamorie Ponds, St. John's; Mike Daum, South Dakota State

-Jason "all of this seems quite reasonable, though I think De'Andre Hunter is Virginia's best player and would have him ahead of Jerome and Guy" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not surprising to see RJ on the 2nd team right now. He's been awesome against the easy teams we've played but has really struggled shooting the ball against tougher defenses (although he was magnificent against Florida State). Hopefully a strong 2nd half of the season will push him up to 1st team.

It's been awhile since 2 Dukies were consensus first team AAs. I'm gonna guess the last time was Jason Williams and Shane Battier.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Not surprising to see RJ on the 2nd team right now. He's been awesome against the easy teams we've played but has really struggled shooting the ball against tougher defenses (although he was magnificent against Florida State). Hopefully a strong 2nd half of the season will push him up to 1st team.

It's been awhile since 2 Dukies were consensus first team AAs. I'm gonna guess the last time was Jason Williams and Shane Battier.
    Off the top of my head, Redick and Williams, 2006.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Redick and Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Off the top of my head, Redick and Williams, 2006.
    I thought about those 2, but I wasn't sure they were both consensus. But they indeed both were consensus 1st teamers. Would be a pretty rare feat to put 2 guys on 1st team three times in 20 years, although I'm sure UCLA did it with regularity in the past (if All-America teams were even a thing in the 60s).

I thought about those 2, but I wasn't sure they were both consensus. But they indeed both were consensus 1st teamers. Would be a pretty rare feat to put 2 guys on 1st team three times in 20 years, although I'm sure UCLA did it with regularity in the past (if All-America teams were even a thing in the 60s).
    UCLA for sure. I feel like the mid-80s UNC teams had multiple All-Americans too. Kentucky in the early years of Cal's run probably did it too.

Let me check...

I went back to 1960 and here is what I found:
    1972 - UCLA (Bibby and Walton)
    1973 - UCLA (Walton and Wilkes)
    1974 - UCLA (Walton and Wilkes)
    1976 - Indiana (May and Benson)
    1983 - UNC (Perkins and Jordan)
    1984 - UNC (Perkins and Jordan)
    1998 - Kansas (LaFrenz and Pierce)

-Jason "I was wrong about the Cal/Ky teams and had totally forgotten about Raef LaFrenz! " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?