Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tenting quiz

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post
    You could just wake up hungover, put a 12 pack in a cooler, and go stand in line for 7 hours like a normal person.
    Not when there are 1600 people willing to wait in line for 8.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Tenting has jumped the shark.
    They should put that on a cheer sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Since the administration imposed a hard start date on tenting — way back in the mid-2000s, IIRC — the problem of figuring out who's first in line out of all the tents that started exactly at the beginning has been an open question.

The system may have changed since I was HLM in 2014-15, but we tracked attendance at other winter sporting events as the first way to rank all of the tents who started on the first day of tenting. This is how it was done for the entirety of my tenure at Duke and at least in the two seasons afterward.

The purpose of this quiz is really to break ties more than anything. I believe that the reason the quiz has blown up in recent seasons is that K-Ville fills almost 100% to capacity within the first day or so of Black tenting, so it needs to be so difficult as to be almost random as a way to accomplish this.

Part of the problem is that students only want to attend one game: the Carolina game, precisely because it's part of the experience. They don't care about playing the Durham Family YMCA on a Tuesday night. You kind of have to treat the Carolina game separate from every other game on the slate since the demand is so high. As much as we bemoan the attendance issues in recent seasons, there has never been anything remotely close to a problem to filling the stands for Carolina. I agree that general attendance is absolutely a problem, but it's not 100% relevant in this context since we're discussing tenting, which is for the Carolina game only.
    Why does it have to be treated differently? Why submit to the part of the fanbase that isn't really fans?

In four years on campus, I attended all but three games that took place with school in session -- two UNC games in which I couldn't get in a tent with a spot, and one Miami game on a senior day where the football department also took a chunk of the student section for recruits, so almost no non-seniors were admitted. Every Tuesday night 9pm Clemson game during midterms or December game against the Durham YMCA, I was there. It will never seem fair to me that students for whom UNC was the only game they attended (because it was the "thing to do") were able to win priority, just because their tent happened to have people stationed closer to the random location of the line monitor (the methodology when I was there). Knowing things about the team, even arcane statistics, is an improvement, but attendence seems like the obvious and practical solution, for all stages of tenting (or even the walk-up line for those still left out).

FWIW, this quiz does not determine the order in line. It is only used to see who is allowed into the black tenting cutoff.

The test to determine order will be later on, closer to the UNC game.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Not when there are 1600 people willing to wait in line for 8.
    Yeah, I was being facetious there. I waited in a tent once (Washington w/Detlef Schrempf, 1985) - and I wasn’t a student that year. You waited to get the best seats, but in that time it was very very rare to not be able to get in at all.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    FWIW, this bothered me so much (and I had enough free time on my hands this weekend, haha) that I wrote a Letter to the Editor to The Chronicle. That also allowed me to make my point a bit more eloquently than in off the cuff forum posts, lol. You can find it here if interested.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    FWIW, this bothered me so much (and I had enough free time on my hands this weekend, haha) that I wrote a Letter to the Editor to The Chronicle. That also allowed me to make my point a bit more eloquently than in off the cuff forum posts, lol. You can find it here if interested.
    Well done, Scott. I agree with every word you wrote!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well done, Scott. I agree with every word you wrote!
    Thanks Jason, much appreciated!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Thanks Jason, much appreciated!
    Somehow in the old days- we managed to get into games by just standing in line- and that was before having a computing device in your pocket to get work done or stay connected. Somehow we found a way and the student section - which was the entire set of bleachers- was full, very rowdy and spontaneously disruptive. You haven't had a real Cameron experience unless you had seats behind the opposing bench and yelled so loud through the time-outs, that Dean Smith would glare back at you.

Asking little details like "how many points exactly did X score in Y game" doesn't measure how big of a Duke fan you are, it measures your ability to memorize stuff!
    My "favorite" question:

What is our most watched game this season? How many viewers tuned in? (1 point for the game, 1 point for the number of viewers, to the nearest ten thousand).

The first part is a reasonable question. I assume the answer is the Kentucky game.

However, I would guess that even awhom111, the keeper of the DBR TV Ratings thread and someone who probably knows more about Duke's TV ratings than 99.99% of the Duke fanbase, can't answer the second part of this question to the nearest ten thousand viewers!!!

Forcing tenters to memorize a bunch of mostly arbitrary stats/figures is silly. Clearly, the best way is to determine entry to the Duke-UNC game is based on the number of hours spent on the DBR forum!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Somehow in the old days- we managed to get into games by just standing in line- and that was before having a computing device in your pocket to get work done or stay connected. Somehow we found a way and the student section - which was the entire set of bleachers- was full, very rowdy and spontaneously disruptive. You haven't had a real Cameron experience unless you had seats behind the opposing bench and yelled so loud through the time-outs, that Dean Smith would glare back at you.
    Does anyone remember BOG and the "Buffer Zone"?