Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2019 Australian Open

The draws were released today.

Men's: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_A...en%27s_Singles
    Women's: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_A...en%27s_Singles

Excited about a possible Federer / Djokovic final. Each player has won 6 Aussie Opens, and Fed is two-time defending champ here. So, that possible final could decide the Aussie GOAT and maybe eventually GOAT, with Fed making perhaps his last stand here.

In case you're wondering, Nadal only has 1 Aussie title. Murray has 0. Wawrinka has 1.

Over on the women's side, will Serena win her first Slam since returning from pregnancy? (I think so!)

Andy Murray announces his plan to retire this season at Wimbledon: http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/i...-tennis-future

He can't seem to get his hip fixed, and it's too much to play through the pain.

Somewhat sad (and sad that the Big 4/5 era is almost over). I know that Murray is easily dislikable since he's not a gentleman on the court at all. But, from afar, I have admired how someone like him who is not as talented as Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic (or even Wawrinka) but was consistent and kept coming back again and again and again to take his beatings and every now and then he would break through and upset his betters. He managed to break through enough for 3 Slams and even finished one season as Number 1. That grinding consistency probably partially contributed to an early retirement, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Andy Murray announces...He can't seem to get his hip fixed, and it's too much to play through the pain.
    I know that Murray is easily dislikable since he's not a gentleman on the court at all.
    Saw that last night on the ticker below the mich game and was surprised how sorry I felt for him. You're right, he had a "rep" but the guy hung in and fought. I remember when he won, what, his first Wimbledon and I was slightly teary-eyed watching how much it meant to him to do it at "home."
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Sad to hear Murray is hanging it up. Hopefully he can have a strong last year, though it sounds like the injuries just haven't allowed it.

As for the Aussie Open itself, should be interesting as usual. There's the Djokovic/Federer possibility. There is also the chance that Nadal completes the career double-slam (side note: Djokovic and Federer have a chance to complete the double-slam at the French later this year as well) if he can win it, joining Laver as the only modern-era players to do it.

The Aussie Open tends to be a war of attrition, as the elements tend to drive the outcomes almost as much as the level of play. Hopefully the big 3 get through the tournament without injuries and can make the last week exciting.

Andy Murray announces his plan to retire this season at Wimbledon: http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/i...-tennis-future

He can't seem to get his hip fixed, and it's too much to play through the pain.

Somewhat sad (and sad that the Big 4/5 era is almost over). I know that Murray is easily dislikable since he's not a gentleman on the court at all. But, from afar, I have admired how someone like him who is not as talented as Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic (or even Wawrinka) but was consistent and kept coming back again and again and again to take his beatings and every now and then he would break through and upset his betters. He managed to break through enough for 3 Slams and even finished one season as Number 1. That grinding consistency probably partially contributed to an early retirement, though.
    Sad to hear this. Kind of annoying on the court, but he seems pretty cool off. (And a funny follow on Instagram.) He's also always been one of the biggest advocates for women's equal pay.

Always a shame to see a talented career cut short by health.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Trouble - thanks for serving this up.

Wow. First thoughts. Didn't know any major would move so quickly to eliminate final set tie-breakers. 10 pointer at 6all. No complaints, just surprised the tennis world moved that quickly to do it.

Djokovic could play Tsonga in the 2nd round. Granted, seems like I haven't consistently heard Tsonga's name at a major in a while, but that could be a tough, tough, 2nd round match.

And then potentially Shapavolov in the 3rd round. Big names, for sure.

Kyrgios - Ranoic in the first round, too. Murray has a very tough first round match against Bautista Agut. Don't really like that Fed has Cilic in the quarters, but that's next week's issue. And Greensboro native John Isner could have Kevin Anderson in the quarters. Wonder if they changed the tie-breaker rule after seeing the draw.

Should be some fun tennis.

Let’s go Roger! Let’s go Isner! LGD! GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Let’s go Roger! Let’s go Isner! LGD! GTHc!
    Isner is now out, but at least it was to fellow American giant Opelka. Based on the score (3 tiebreakers and a 7-5 set), these guys just bombed each other to death. Probably not a great match to watch.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Isner is now out, but at least it was to fellow American giant Opelka. Based on the score (3 tiebreakers and a 7-5 set), these guys just bombed each other to death. Probably not a great match to watch.
    At least the "Isner effect" did not take it to ridiculous lengths again.

Francis Tiafoe with the upset of 5th-seed Kevin Anderson! Certainly the best win of young Tiafoe's career so far. Hopefully Francis can win two more and make his first ever QF at a Slam.

Unfortunately, long-term, I don't see Slam-winning potential in Tiafoe, who is generally considered the best young American. But he's young enough where we can still dream maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Don't really like that Fed has Cilic in the quarters, but that's next week's issue.
    With Cilic coming into the tournament with some injury issues, I consider the young Russian Khachanov to be an equal threat to Fed from that quarter. Both of those guys have tough matchups coming up against Spaniards. Cilic has to play Verdasco, who seemingly loves this Slam (where he went to the SF once). And Khachanov has to play Bautista Agut.

In Fed's own quarter, watch out for Tsitsipas, who has a beautiful game and might be the latest to be described as a young Fed. Tsitsipas also has a tough opponent next in "Bash"ilashvili who hits the ball so hard. I'm excited to watch that match.

Francis Tiafoe with the upset of 5th-seed Kevin Anderson! Certainly the best win of young Tiafoe's career so far. Hopefully Francis can win two more and make his first ever QF at a Slam.

Unfortunately, long-term, I don't see Slam-winning potential in Tiafoe, who is generally considered the best young American. But he's young enough where we can still dream maybe.

With Cilic coming into the tournament with some injury issues, I consider the young Russian Khachanov to be an equal threat to Fed from that quarter. Both of those guys have tough matchups coming up against Spaniards. Cilic has to play Verdasco, who seemingly loves this Slam (where he went to the SF once). And Khachanov has to play Bautista Agut.

In Fed's own quarter, watch out for Tsitsipas, who has a beautiful game and might be the latest to be described as a young Fed. Tsitsipas also has a tough opponent next in "Bash"ilashvili who hits the ball so hard. I'm excited to watch that match.
    Trouble - thanks for the heads up. I actually think I saw Tsitsipas play in the juniors of the 2016 US Open. He was really fun to watch.
    And now both Anderson and Isner are gone - who had they kept winning, could have faced off against each other early next week.

And agree that this was Tiafoe's best win ever, but also remember him taking Fed to a 5th set (pretty sure it went 5) in the US Open in 2017 (all from memory, might have the specifics wrong here).

Trouble - thanks for the heads up. I actually think I saw Tsitsipas play in the juniors of the 2016 US Open. He was really fun to watch.
    And now both Anderson and Isner are gone - who had they kept winning, could have faced off against each other early next week.

And agree that this was Tiafoe's best win ever, but also remember him taking Fed to a 5th set (pretty sure it went 5) in the US Open in 2017 (all from memory, might have the specifics wrong here).
    Yep, you got it right. That was perhaps Tiafoe's best performance, albeit in a loss, to push Fed to 5 sets in a really entertaining match at the USO. Hopefully Tiafoe can follow up his upset of Anderson to beat Seppi today.

Just noticed that I've been using the wrong word upthread. Tsitsipas is in the same eighth of the bracket as Roger, not just the same quarter. They're each one win away from facing each other.

A couple of interesting things I noticed this morning and some questions. Note that I'm one of those tennis fans that only watches the grand slam tournaments (thus I'm pretty uninformed and may ask stupid questions).

- Wawrinka is not seeded. That surprised me. Injuries or just getting old?
    - Wawrinka was playing Raonic, lost in 4 sets, all 4 went to the tie breaker. Really wanted Stan to win (as a smaller guy I root against the big bangers)
    - Tsonga wasn't overly competitive against Djoker. Is he againg out of being really good or is Djoker just that much better than he is? Tsonga didn't look great to me (looked slow).
    - Seems like the seeding system needs an adjustment when the #1 seed has to play Serena before the last weekend

I've really enjoyed watching the matches this week. Makes me want to get out and play (sadly the thermometer doesn't agree).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    - Wawrinka is not seeded. That surprised me. Injuries or just getting old?
    Injuries, including a knee surgery. I suspect he will build back up and be seeded by the US Open.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    - Tsonga wasn't overly competitive against Djoker. Is he againg out of being really good or is Djoker just that much better than he is? Tsonga didn't look great to me (looked slow).
    Yes, aging PLUS Djoker really is that good. If you examine their head to head record, Tsonga really hasn't been competitive with Novak since 2012: https://www.atptour.com/en/players/f...onga/D643/T786

Earlier in their careers, he was very competitive.

Hopefully Tiafoe can follow up his upset of Anderson to beat Seppi today.
    Tiafoe did beat Seppi! And is now the only American left in the men's bracket.

I was really hoping Verdasco would hold on to beat Cilic this morning (just me rooting for the underdog and smaller player). Verdasco double faulted at match point in the 4th up 8-7 in the tie break. He's going be seeing those serves in his nightmares for a while.

They also showed Kerber winning 1 and Love this morning. She played a fantastic match.

On the women's side, Serena-Halep being a 4th round (Sweet 16) matchup is sick. That could be a slam final in the future once Serena gets her ranking up.

Trouble - thanks for the heads up. I actually think I saw Tsitsipas play in the juniors of the 2016 US Open. He was really fun towatch.
    Oh, my. Just read where Tsitsipas beat Fed. Knew I should have gotten up to watch that match. Bummed in multiple ways.

Tiafoe makes the quarters, where he will face Nadal. The rest of that half was turned upside down with Bautista-Agut upsetting Cilic and Tsitsipas upsetting Federer.