Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Duke @ Florida St (Sat, Jan 12th, 2pm ET, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Please put your thoughts about this game in this thread.

Because Wake is so bad, many will consider this to be our first true *true* road test.

I used to love Saturday day games...

...when I was in college, would wake up at 11am, roll over to Cameron, and have a great start to the weekend.

Now, sigh...is this what getting old feels like?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I used to love Saturday day games...

...when I was in college, would wake up at 11am, roll over to Cameron, and have a great start to the weekend.

Now, sigh...is this what getting old feels like?
    Do you mean waking up at 11am, rolling over to Cameron, finding it empty, and realizing the game is in Tallahassee? I don't understand your question.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Do you mean waking up at 11am, rolling over to Cameron, finding it empty, and realizing the game is in Tallahassee? I don't understand your question.
    That only happened once
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Hopefully Duke rolls into FSU and starts the game with more intensity and commitment to defense than they showed vs. Wake. It would be helpful if Cam doesn't turn it over a couple of times early, and it would be nice if the team could get him a dunk early as opposed to hoping he can connect on a 3 early.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Hopefully Duke rolls into FSU and starts the game with more intensity and commitment to defense than they showed vs. Wake. It would be helpful if Cam doesn't turn it over a couple of times early, and it would be nice if the team could get him a dunk early as opposed to hoping he can connect on a 3 early.
    I just hope Cam doesn't drive for the first 5-6 possessions. I like to idea of giving the ball to Zion in the high post for the first couple of possessions and letting him do his thing.

The thought of having to look at Leonard Hamilton's glaring mug for 2 hours makes bile rise in my throat. I seriously hope none of our guys gets injured in a thugfest. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of FSU AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I plan to wake up at 10:30 - 11:00, roll to my kitchen for my morning coffee and electronic reading (DBR comes first of course), maybe making a little brunch after that (nothing too heavy - I'll be making popcorn at halftime), maybe catching a 12:00 game with about 10 minutes left in the half, and settling in for the main event. I may start it late, because I absolutely loathe commercials!

Shower and putting on of street clothes will come after 4:00, of course.

ETA: Getting older gets better for watching Duke BBall. The kids are out of the house. It used to be get up at 8:30 for some practice or game or performance or road trip...

So better for watching Duke Basketball, but I do miss coaching youth baseball, or keeping stats for lacrosse & softball, or all the things I did when the kids were younger.
    Last edited by BandAlum83; 01-10-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Guessing this will be f$u's "bowl" game .

I'd like to hear from some folks who have attended games there comment on the loudness and "quality" of the crowd (sobriety, too, I guess ) and other observations they've had over the last decade or so. From my TV-watching experience, not much has been favorable.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

While You're At It...

To quote Miracle Max: "While you're at it, why don't you just give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it..."

Re: "I'd like to hear from some folks who have attended games there..."

Saw two Duke games in the Donald L. Tucker Center just after the turn of the century (circa '02 & '03???). I expected a win the first time, and was even more confident a year later, yet my record there as a spectator is 0-2. Was so high up in the rafters, looking straight down on the game was like having a bad "out of body" experience. Terrible lighting. Devastating place to loose as #1. [If God had meant for basketball to be played on a floor laid down on top of ice, he would have put the Indoor Stadium in the tundra.]

You've raised my blood pressure just recalling four of the worst hours of my life...

Quote Originally Posted by cakerace View Post
    To quote Miracle Max: "While you're at it, why don't you just give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it..."

Re: "I'd like to hear from some folks who have attended games there..."

Saw two Duke games in the Donald L. Tucker Center just after the turn of the century (circa '02 & '03???). I expected a win the first time, and was even more confident a year later, yet my record there as a spectator is 0-2. Was so high up in the rafters, looking straight down on the game was like having a bad "out of body" experience. Terrible lighting. Devastating place to loose as #1. [If God had meant for basketball to be played on a floor laid down on top of ice, he would have put the Indoor Stadium in the tundra.]

You've raised my blood pressure just recalling four of the worst hours of my life...
    I'm sorry. I watched them on TV, too, and had similar feelings.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

I'd like to hear from some folks who have attended games there comment on the loudness and "quality" of the crowd (sobriety, too, I guess ) and other observations they've had over the last decade or so. From my TV-watching experience, not much has been favorable.
    It's a middle of the road crowd the few times I've gone. Beer is sold in the arena like Wake. It's a pro-style arena like UNC, NCSU, Louisville, UK, but I think they've gotten rid of the 70's plaid/Rupp Arena seat cushions. The rule of thumb for ACC road games as I've been to them all: nothing is Cameron, but I don't want this to digress to a true road game discussion.

When goduke posts the actual series results in the game notes, I would like to see Duke (as #1) v. other Duke comparison. 2001 and 2006 (which Doug Gottlieb blamed on the officials) might really be outliers that the media just likes to endorse. Of course, we could argue that UVA is actually #1 if we win.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

I've been to the game twice. Two years ago, I went with my 76 year old father and my mom. There was a little kid (like 5 or under) with his parents behind us, so I was reluctant to stand up. The guy in front of me stood up almost the whole time and twice I tapped him on the shoulder to ask him to sit down when there was no action so I could see. He yelled at me and then threatened my father...to the point that other fans stepped in. It was a horrible experience. The time before that, we had a blast (and Duke won--and I ran into my sorrority big sister who lives in Texas??!!). The crowd is loud, drinking and rowdy. Maybe not so much drinking at 2pm, but they are tuned up for this game. My job is based in Tallahassee, so I am there frequently and just got back from dropping my son off for spring semester at FSU. This game is all anyone can talk about sports wise, and certainly more interesting than politics! Expect a very very loud enthusiastic crowd. I also saw FSU at the Orange Bowl Classic over the holidays and they are HUGE in person. If Cofer is healthy (despite his too short and tight shorts), they are tough game.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHeaven View Post
    I've been to the game twice. Two years ago, I went with my 76 year old father and my mom. There was a little kid (like 5 or under) with his parents behind us, so I was reluctant to stand up. The guy in front of me stood up almost the whole time and twice I tapped him on the shoulder to ask him to sit down when there was no action so I could see. He yelled at me and then threatened my father...to the point that other fans stepped in. It was a horrible experience. The time before that, we had a blast (and Duke won--and I ran into my sorrority big sister who lives in Texas??!!). The crowd is loud, drinking and rowdy. Maybe not so much drinking at 2pm, but they are tuned up for this game. My job is based in Tallahassee, so I am there frequently and just got back from dropping my son off for spring semester at FSU. This game is all anyone can talk about sports wise, and certainly more interesting than politics! Expect a very very loud enthusiastic crowd. I also saw FSU at the Orange Bowl Classic over the holidays and they are HUGE in person. If Cofer is healthy (despite his too short and tight shorts), they are tough game.
    Florida State football fans are rowdy, loud and likely to be indulging in adult beverages...all to the extreme. I think they duplicate this in basketball once a year...and that will be today. Probably lucky it won't be a later game...because crowds simply get more amped later in most cases...but it will be full, it will be hostile and yes, FSU with Cofer is very good and they are HUUUGE - which makes them a bad match up for Duke this season. Zion can fly over everybody, but the immense height will be a challenge for Jack, Javin, Marques, Cam and RJ...

I"m not seeing 8 rebounds and 5 blocks for Jack today...for example.

It should be interesting to see if any of FSU's height inside is bothersome to Zion...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It should be interesting to see if any of FSU's height inside is bothersome to Zion...
    I do not expect their height to bother Zion but I expect it will bother Bolden. I agree it will be interesting to observe.
    Bob Green

DBR Chat is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

That's a new one - ESPN moved the end of the Louisville game to ESPN News instead of the beginning of the Duke game.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHeaven View Post
    That doesn't surprise. Luckily I went in neutral clothes years ago.i wont go back
    .that and jrs git a hot head .I'm to old for that.besides the crowd. It's always physical there to fsu benefit .our guys will have to tough this one out literally.