Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    While I agree with making Zion the #1 option, it should be noted that RJ has a lower turnover rate (14.1% to 16.3%) and a higher assist rate (23.2% to 16.9%). I don't think decision-making is the key difference between the two.
    The difference is less pronounced if you look at KPom Tier A+B. RJ has a higher TO (15.9 vs 15.3) and a higher A (15.4 vs 13.3). RJ's decision making has been a tad suspect in Duke's higher profile games. That being said he has looked markedly better during our 2 league games so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    While I agree with making Zion the #1 option, it should be noted that RJ has a lower turnover rate (14.1% to 16.3%) and a higher assist rate (23.2% to 16.9%). I don't think decision-making is the key difference between the two. It's really just that because of Zion's one-of-a-kind body and athleticism (and great touch), when he goes up for a shot in a crowd, he finishes much more often than RJ (or really anyone in that situation). Zion is one of the great finishers the college game has ever seen; he'd be a great finisher even if he never dunked.

I've not seen the following comparison yet because of their difference in body types, but when Zion goes overall #1, the team that drafts him will be hoping that Zion eventually grows into an MVP candidate by producing similarly to how Giannis does things. Giannis is a dominant finisher around the rim, and he uses the threat of his drives and finishing to playmake for his teammates. Giannis has also grown into a great defender but is still working on his outside shooting. That sounds like the formula for how Zion becomes an NBA superstar as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    The difference is less pronounced if you look at KPom Tier A+B. RJ has a higher TO (15.9 vs 15.3) and a higher A (15.4 vs 13.3). RJ's decision making has been a tad suspect in Duke's higher profile games. That being said he has looked markedly better during our 2 league games so far.
    I'd also add that knowing your body type and what you can and can't do is part of decision making. Zion can play through contact much more easily, so taking it to the hole against 2 defenders is not as bad a decision as it can be for RJ sometimes. RJ is good at playing through contact, too, just not at Zion's level . . .

And I think maybe it's still too early to draw conclusions from stats through 14 games. For example, last game, Zion had 5 assists and 4 turnovers, but 2 of those turnovers should have been easy assists. 1 was a bounce pass to Jordan on a fast break that should have been a layup, but Jordan tripped over something and fell down. The other one was a wide open dunk for Javin where Javin just didn't anticipate the pass coming at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, it's the 360 dunk.
    Except that he will get many opportunities for the scoop and very few for the 360.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'd also add that knowing your body type and what you can and can't do is part of decision making. Zion can play through contact much more easily, so taking it to the hole against 2 defenders is not as bad a decision as it can be for RJ sometimes. RJ is good at playing through contact, too, just not at Zion's level .
    It's not so much playing through contact...as it is rendering contact irrelevant....

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Except that he will get many opportunities for the scoop and very few for the 360.
    Jeffrey math... one 360 vs. UNC > one hundred scoops vs. non-UNC teams.

Apologies, while I guess it's a "real stat" I kinda made it up, needlessly, to stir the pot of this thread. Once again, typed "humor" doesn't translate well online...

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Is that a real stat? I've never seen it tracked before. What does a measure of block-to-turnover ratio tell us about a player? Because it kind of seems like two cherry-picked metrics that don't have a lot to do with each other.

You probably could have made a clearer point by looking at steals-to-turnover ratio--that would give a rough estimate of the impact a player is having on the number of Duke possessions. Jack doesn't get many steals (15 so far) but also doesn't turn the ball over (only 7), for a ratio of 2.14:1. On the other side, Cam has generated a lot of steals (28, second on the team) but is leading the team in turnovers (42), for a ratio of 0.66:1. That's probably a more telling stat for the point you were trying to make.

But that doesn't tell the whole story, because turnovers are impacted by usage. Jack is a role player whose function in the offense is limited to catch-and-shoot. And he's been great at that! Yay! But Cam has shown some ability to do more, and having him as another person who can create shots is very valuable. So far, his efforts to create off the dribble have resulted in more turnovers, but I'm hoping he can get those turnovers down as the season progresses.

I remain convinced it is in the best long-term interest of the team to continue starting Cam Reddish, who mind you, is a very good basketball player. Especially as long as we keep wining most games by 20+.

But by all means, this is the internet, so let's shine a spotlight on one of the few disappointing developments in this season so far.

Why was Corey Maggette coming off the bench?

He could've started over...

who else was a great 6th man off the bench, even if worthy of being a started. I thought finishing is what counts.

Bobby Jones was a 6th man, correct?

Gotta trust the GOAT!!

Maybe we lock this now?
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Let's hold off?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

How do you like Cam now???

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Ummm... I think we can close this thread now?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

ahem

At no point.

#camfam

IBTL

So happy for Cam!

Oh, this thread.

- Chillin

Feel great that Cam proved how good he is, and what a time to prove it!
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Cam provided the answer.

Trust in K...yoohooo!!!!

That reverse layup early in the first half was sick. So happy for Cam. Coaches knew they were all going to converge on Barrett. Problem is we had two hot players so fake it to RJ and let Cam take the shot to win the game. Guess what? He made it. Great win today.