Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC: 1/7-1/13

We're now in conference play in earnest, so this will be the last full update on non-conference records. Virginia Tech is pacing the conference since it's had an extra game; Miami and Notre Dame are bringing up the rear. Conference records as of the start of the week are now also included with the team lines.

Monday is for the gridiron and the CFP championship

Tuesday is an old Big Four affair

[158]Wake Forest (0-1) (+21) hosts [1]Duke (1-0) (7:00, ESPN)
    [18]NC State (1-0) (+1) hosts [6]North Carolina (1-0) (9:00, ESPN)

Wednesday

[85]Georgia Tech (1-0) (+8) hosts [8]Virginia Tech (2-0) (7:00, ACCNE)
    [32]Syracuse (1-0) (-5) hosts [36]Clemson (0-1) (8:00, ACCNE)
    [90]Pittsburgh (0-1) (+1) hosts [37]Louisville (1-0) (8:00, ACCNE)
    [104]Boston College (0-1) (+11) hosts [2]Virginia (1-0) (9:00, ESPNU)
    [20]Florida State (0-1) (-10) hosts [67]Miami (0-2) (9:00, ACCNE)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday

[36]Clemson (0-1) (+6) hosts [2]Virginia (1-0) (12:00, ACCNE)
    [6]North Carolina (1-0) (-11) hosts [37]Louisville (1-0) (12:00, ESPN)
    [18]NC State (1-0) (-12) hosts [90]Pittsburgh (0-1) (12:00, ACCNE)
    [77]Notre Dame (0-2) (-5) hosts [104]Boston College (0-1) (12:00, ACCNE)
    [20]Florida State (0-1) (+7) hosts [1]Duke (1-0) (2:00, ESPN)
    [67]Miami (0-2) (-11) hosts [158]Wake Forest (0-1) (2:00, ACCNE)
    [32]Syracuse (1-0) (-9) hosts [85]Georgia Tech (1-0) (6:00, ESPN2)

Sunday is dark

ACC Non-Conference: 148-41
    ACC vs. Power 5: 29-26

America East: 4-0
    American: 3-1
    Atlantic-10: 11-2
    Atlantic Sun: 9-0
    Big XII: 1-3
    Big East: 4-6
    Big Sky: 1-0
    Big South: 6-3
    Big Ten: 11-8
    Big West: 1-0
    Colonial: 7-0
    CUSA: 5-1
    Horizon: 3-1
    Ivy: 6-2
    MAAC: 2-1
    MAC: 4-1
    MEAC: 12-0
    MVC: 2-0
    MWC: 3-0
    Northeast: 9-1
    Ohio Valley: 3-0
    Pac-12: 3-2
    Patriot: 5-0
    SEC: 8-7
    Southern: 9-0
    Southland: 7-1
    Sun Belt: 3-0
    SWAC: 2-0
    WAC: 3-0
    WCC: 1-1
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Thanks as always for these posts!

State v. Heels should be fun Tuesday. Duke @ FSU Saturday is always tough.

One quirk of scheduling I notice is that this coming weekend Duke and Virginia swap opponents from last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    One quirk of scheduling I notice is that this coming weekend Duke and Virginia swap opponents from last weekend.
    And ...?

At least both opponents are home this week, after starting on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    And ...?
    If I had to guess, I’d say the schedule is set up as a three-weekend narrative of the marquee ACC matchup.

Act I (January 5): Virginia beats FSU, Duke beats Clemson
    Act II (January 12): Virginia faces Clemson, Duke faces FSU
    Act III (January 19): Virginia faces Duke

If ESPN plans to promote that Virginia-Duke game (hint: they are), they’ll start building up to it this weekend. I would not be surprised if they used coded language like “early lead” or “inside track” to indicate that the winner of the game has some sort of claim toward an ACC crown.

The projected third-place team might feel insulted by all this. So it’s kind of interesting to see that UNC is completely ignored in this narrative, and that this conference subplot (main plot?) was scheduled right under Swofford’s nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    And ...?
    He or she said it was simply a quirk of the scheduling. Does there need to be more?

Of course, first and foremost:

Let's go Devils!

Secondly, and forever:

9F

118px-North_Carolina_State_University_Athletic_logo.svg.png
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

... Quirks in scheduling... like ESPN for several years now not having Duke and Carolina meeting for the first round til very late in the season (and Feb. is ratings month)...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He or she said it was simply a quirk of the scheduling. Does there need to be more?
    There always needs to be more, bro!

Last edited by BandAlum83; 01-07-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    There always needs to be more, bro!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SIqGRMf3LYc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ETA: Ok, someone (Jason Evans seems to be able to do it on the regular) please tell me how to embed a youtube video and not just provide a link on DBR? The link above is the suggested embed from youtube, and clearly it didn't work. It's messing with my humor flow!
    Don't embed. Just copy the link from the YouTube page into the prompt that pops up when you select the Insert Video icon above.

Took me awhile to figure that out awhile back. Embed seems more intuitive

Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

I would give you guys a little bit of how I feel about the Cheaters Supreme over in Chapel Hill as my Univeristy happens to play them on Tuesday, but the mods have assured me that I would get banned for doing so. NC State is far from perfect and has done it's share of rule breaking over the years, but at the very least we have taken our punishment and worked to change the culture each time.

I am allowed to say, "9f".

Mr. Vitale was catching some well deserved flack for his work the other night, but my biggest complaint was how both he and his partner shortchanged State vs UNC on Tuesday. They rambled about several other upcoming games especially Duke vs FSU and even Duke vs Wake, but what on paper should be a marquee game(State vs UNC) got no mention at all.

I'm not positive Chapel Hill is the favorite for the third spot. Holding my nose, I think I would take the Hokies over them at this point*, at least until UNC figures out what it wants to be and/or solidifies the point guard spot.

*UNC still has the higher ceiling. They can win a national title, and I don't think VT can. But I think the Hokies are more likely to finish third as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    I'm not positive Chapel Hill is the favorite for the third spot. Holding my nose, I think I would take the Hokies over them at this point*, at least until UNC figures out what it wants to be and/or solidifies the point guard spot.

*UNC still has the higher ceiling. They can win a national title, and I don't think VT can. But I think the Hokies are more likely to finish third as of now.
    UNC enjoys a favorable ACC schedule this season, though. For example, in kenpom, despite UVA being over 4 points of efficiency margin better than UNC -- which is a significant advantage -- the two teams are projected to have the same ACC record. (Part of that, I believe, is also UVA having a challenging schedule.)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    UNC enjoys a favorable ACC schedule this season, though. For example, in kenpom, despite UVA being over 4 points of efficiency margin better than UNC -- which is a significant advantage -- the two teams are projected to have the same ACC record. (Part of that, I believe, is also UVA having a challenging schedule.)
    Interestingly, Bart Torvik predicts UVa to go 15-3 in conference, with UNC going 13-5. My guess is that KenPom gives UNC a slightly better chance of winning at home against UVa in their only matchup of the season, whereas Torvik gives UVa the edge still. Perhaps that slight difference is enough to bump UNC's aggregate expectation to 14-4, and to bump UVa's down to 14-4.

Torvik also expects us to go 15-3. Va Tech is predicted to finish 12-6.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Interestingly, Bart Torvik predicts UVa to go 15-3 in conference, with UNC going 13-5. My guess is that KenPom gives UNC a slightly better chance of winning at home against UVa in their only matchup of the season, whereas Torvik gives UVa the edge still. Perhaps that slight difference is enough to bump UNC's aggregate expectation to 14-4, and to bump UVa's down to 14-4.

Torvik also expects us to go 15-3. Va Tech is predicted to finish 12-6.
    Given a very favorable ACC schedule, I think NC State is a real contender. T-rank says NCST has the easiest schedule in the conference (UNC is 3rd toughest, Duke is 12th toughest, Virginia is 8th).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

We will know more after Tuesday. State can have the easiest schedule in the works,but they have to still win the games.

...and yes,State has an exceptionally favorable ACC schedule this year.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    We will know more after Tuesday. State can have the easiest schedule in the works,but they have to still win the games.

...and yes,State has an exceptionally favorable ACC schedule this year.
    Umpossible. How could swofford have allowed that to happen?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Hokies have a relatively soft schedule, too. Double opponents are UVA (as always), GT, ND and Miami. Outside of the Hoos, nothing intimidating there. They get you guys at home. They do have tough roadies at FSU, UNC and State.

Also, for the record, I am not attempting to minimize any success on anyone's part by complaining about schedules. No one in the ACC has an easy road.