Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I enjoy every Duke win, but the wins vs. Wake are sweet because as any former commenter at accboards will remember, their fans are a pretty pompous crew.

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post
    I enjoy every Duke win, but the wins vs. Wake are sweet because as any former commenter at accboards will remember, their fans are a pretty pompous crew.
    Billy Packer begs to differ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    This Australian bloke just keeps getting better and better and better as the season goes on. I can’t even imagine how good he is going to be by the time the NCAA tournament starts. If he keeps improving at this rate he actually could make the All-ACC team as a senior. And not only that, but he is fast becoming the ultimate glue guy — does a little of everything and makes those around him better while helping hold it all together. My gosh what a wonderful surprise he has been.
    No one is a bigger fan of Jack than me around here, but there's a difference between being a GREAT role player and All-ACC, which is usually reserved for players who score much more and carry a bigger offensive load. I can see him improving some offensively as a senior, but he's pretty much going to still be a spot-up shooter next season. Especially if he plays the majority of his minutes at the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    No one is a bigger fan of Jack than me around here, but there's a difference between being a GREAT role player and All-ACC, which is usually reserved for players who score much more and carry a bigger offensive load. I can see him improving some offensively as a senior, but he's pretty much going to still be a spot-up shooter next season. Especially if he plays the majority of his minutes at the 3.
    Two things:
    1. I think kAzE might battle with you over that first sentence .
    2. Luke Maye was essentially a spot-up shooter as a junior when he made the All-ACC team last year. Nobody saw him becoming an All-ACC player as a junior when he averaged 5.5 ppg and 3.9 rpg as a sophomore, and White is currently averaging 7 ppg and 6.9 rpg so far this year.

Now, Maye is certainly bigger/stronger. But White is more athletic and a better defender. So it's certainly not impossible for him to do it. And if we don't land Stewart or Hurt (meaning White would get a fair share of his minutes at PF), that would help his chances a lot.

Just to be clear, I definitely don't think it's likely. But I don't think it's a complete non-starter of a discussion either.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Two things:
    2. Luke Maye was essentially a spot-up shooter as a junior when he made the All-ACC team last year. Nobody saw him becoming an All-ACC player as a junior when he averaged 5.5 ppg and 3.9 rpg as a sophomore, and White is currently averaging 7 ppg and 6.9 rpg so far this year.

Now, Maye is certainly bigger/stronger. But White is more athletic and a better defender. So it's certainly not impossible for him to do it. And if we don't land Stewart or Hurt (meaning White would get a fair share of his minutes at PF), that would help his chances a lot.

Just to be clear, I definitely don't think it's likely. But I don't think it's a complete non-starter of a discussion either.
    Maye is more the exception that proves the rule, though. And Jack isn't going to get the benefit of playing the 5, where Maye caused mismatches against traditional centers who couldn't cover him on the perimeter. I don't think Jack's going to develop a post game like Maye's, either.

While not impossible (as very few things are impossible), it's very unlikely. Even without any additions to the roster, Vernon and Wendell are probably the two leading scorers on Duke next season.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Cam's shooting struggles are well-documented, but one thing we haven't mentioned is how little offense Alex has provided off the bench. He's clearly the 8th guy in the rotation, which is totally fine given how well Marques and Jack are playing. But the 8th guy in the rotation has scored some incredibly important points for Duke in the past. Andre's shooting helped the 2010 team get past Baylor in the Elite Eight en route to winning the whole thing. And Grayson's heroics in 2015 are legendary. We know Alex is a capable shooter. It'd be awesome if he could get it going just a little bit more to give our bench another dimension. Obviously, it's hard to come into the game cold and be a knock-down shooter. But I think that if we are going improve from three, Alex has an important role to play.
    I have been paying more attention to this lately. AOC, aside from losing his initials-fame to a freshman congresswoman from NY, also seems to have lost a bit of his feel for where to be and what to do on the catch. Like Cam, he seems to be playing WAY sped up, the ball is like a hot potato in his hands - he can't get rid of it fast enough. And, with all the other guys on the court who should be commanding attention, he never seems to have room to breathe once he catches. I'd like to see him fake and drive a little, he's shown some flashes of being able to athletically finish. Granted, he's not getting a lot of minutes, but he does seem a bit invisible on offense, much more so than even last year.

Two things:

Definitely kAzE, and it's not close. He's been the biggest Jack fan since Jack signed with Duke.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Granted, he's not getting a lot of minutes, but he does seem a bit invisible on offense, much more so than even last year.
    I think that's mostly due to this year's offensive talent. Other than Bagley, IMO, there was not much offensive talent last year. Most other people look invisible when Zion is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Definitely kAzE, and it's not close. He's been the biggest Jack fan since Jack signed with Duke.
    Strongly agree!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    lol, I recognize kAzE as an equal in Jack fandom, but I'm being underrated here. I could pull up historical posts if this even mattered remotely to me.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I just read that Americans' perception of what age is old has increased by about five years, so I have transitioned from old to not old, for the time being anyway. I used to think 30 was old.
    You're old, budwom. Trust me.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Zion's Block(s) versus Wake

Zion was only credited with one block in his impressive stat line last night. But if you watch the highlight video on the front page, three blocks are included.

The first at 38 seconds likely and reasonably was credited to DeLaurier, but Zion seemed to have a piece of it too.
    The second was at 1:46.
    The third at 3:13 was the most impressive. As Zion just manages to get his fingers on the ball at a height where most would need a ladder, I am guessing the box score missed this one.

And again, Tre Jones delivers a steady performance at PG. There is a very good chance he breaks the Duke single-season assist/turnover ratio this year. He's at almost double the all-time best (Wojo's ~3) right now. And on top of that, he's a beast defensively. I am loving his game so much.
    I thought that Quinn Cook broke Wojo's record in 2015? Regardless, what Tre is doing is just unheard of, especially when you consider the type of pace at which our team plays and the number of high-risk passes that he throws. Wojo didn't turn it over because he played safe and didn't force anything. Same with Scheyer, who had a really good A:T ratio in 2015. Quinn wasn't even the primary ballhandler. But Tre is launching length-of-floor bounce passes through multiple defenders and running on every possession. I saw a tweet that said he has committed one turnover for every 29 minutes of playing time, which is amazing.

Like minded

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Did anyone else notice Hoard’s Hanstravel imitation at 1:20 of the first half? Hoard made a very nice offensive rebound under the basket in traffic, and then took five steps - left, right, left right, left. No call, but it didn’t matter as White blocked the shot anyway. Next time, try six steps, that’s what it takes for a true Hanstravel!
    Glad I'm not the only one. They caught Jack shuffling his feet outside the arc, but couldn't apparently see it from Hoard just 5-6 feet (left right left right left) in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    The third at 3:13 was the most impressive. As Zion just manages to get his fingers on the ball at a height where most would need a ladder, I am guessing the box score missed this one.
    The refs called that one a goaltend.

This was an interesting highlight package, it showed rebounds and even some of his mistakes as well as the usual dunks and made baskets. I kind of liked it, gave a more complete picture of the player's game.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I thought that Quinn Cook broke Wojo's record in 2015? Regardless, what Tre is doing is just unheard of, especially when you consider the type of pace at which our team plays and the number of high-risk passes that he throws. Wojo didn't turn it over because he played safe and didn't force anything. Same with Scheyer, who had a really good A:T ratio in 2015. Quinn wasn't even the primary ballhandler. But Tre is launching length-of-floor bounce passes through multiple defenders and running on every possession. I saw a tweet that said he has committed one turnover for every 29 minutes of playing time, which is amazing.
    No, Cook came close-ish in 2014, but wasn't at all close in 2015. The record is, I think 3.02, held by Wojo. Scheyer was at 2.98 in 2010, which is the closest anyone has come. Jones currently sits at an absurd 5.93.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It's even more incredible when you consider the effort he exerts on the defensive end as he relentless harasses opposing point guards into submission. What's crazy is that he never even looks tired. It is one thing to be a really good offensive player or a really good defensive player. Duke has had many examples of each, even freshman examples. However, Tre is excelling on both ends at an elite level. The amount of physical and mental endurance required for that is immense and he makes it look easy.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

BTW does anybody remember that before the season started, one ACC writer actually voted Hoard for ACC rookie of the year? It showed what a farce those awards are. He'll be a good player in a couple years, and the mucus guy played pretty well too, but come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Maye is more the exception that proves the rule, though. And Jack isn't going to get the benefit of playing the 5, where Maye caused mismatches against traditional centers who couldn't cover him on the perimeter. I don't think Jack's going to develop a post game like Maye's, either.

While not impossible (as very few things are impossible), it's very unlikely. Even without any additions to the roster, Vernon and Wendell are probably the two leading scorers on Duke next season.
    Yes, but Maye was also named first-team All-ACC (and comfortably so). White wouldn't need to put up numbers quite THAT good to make an All-ACC team. Last year, for example, the 3rd team included Ty Jerome (10.3 pts, 3.9 assists) and Omer Yurtseven (13.5 pts, 6.7 rebounds).

Again, I also definitely don't think White will get there. But I also don't it's completely outlandish depending upon who plays for us next year. If he averages 11 and 7 and Duke wins the ACC? Yeah, I could see him sneaking in there. And I don't know that 11 and 7 is totally unreasonable.

Anytime we go to wake and all the starters stay in the game impresses me....

let's maintain this defensive verve this weekend...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese