scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

"Team Sheets" according to the NET rankings are now available

Whereas before the NCAA was just making the "Nitty Gritty" of the NET rankings available, which included a lot of the team sheet info, now they've made what the team sheets will actually look like at this point in the season available here.

Some interesting notes:
    • They include six primary rankings: NET, KPI, SOR, BPI, POM, and SAG. The former RPI is completely absent. So for those worried about the flaws in the NET, the range of various rankings are made readily available, which I think will be useful in identifying outliers to truly determine a team's caliber.
    • Duke has 4 "Q1" wins at the moment, and barring a collapse from Indiana all of them will likely remain Q1 wins come Selection Sunday. Clemson is our only "Q2" win, with the rest of the non-conference slate falling into the Q3/Q4 category. Interestingly, the Yale win could end up being a solid one, as they have a NET of 79 right now and thus could easily jump up to a Q2 win. Meanwhile, Stetson is a bit of an anchor on our overall SOS as they stand at 345 in the NET.
    • Michigan has has jumped us with 5 Q1 wins, but the team sheet is arguably "weighed down" by a lot of weaker non-conference opponents. Kansas still has four Q1 wins, but no one else seems to have more than 3.

Should be interesting to see how this develops throughout the year, and much easier to evaluate where things stand as it comes to seeding with the NCAA providing this tool to the public. Could also lead to some interesting controversies come Selection Sunday should their decision making not track with these sheets, haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Whereas before the NCAA was just making the "Nitty Gritty" of the NET rankings available, which included a lot of the team sheet info, now they've made what the team sheets will actually look like at this point in the season available here.

Some interesting notes:
    • They include six primary rankings: NET, KPI, SOR, BPI, POM, and SAG. The former RPI is completely absent. So for those worried about the flaws in the NET, the range of various rankings are made readily available, which I think will be useful in identifying outliers to truly determine a team's caliber.
    • Duke has 4 "Q1" wins at the moment, and barring a collapse from Indiana all of them will likely remain Q1 wins come Selection Sunday. Clemson is our only "Q2" win, with the rest of the non-conference slate falling into the Q3/Q4 category. Interestingly, the Yale win could end up being a solid one, as they have a NET of 79 right now and thus could easily jump up to a Q2 win. Meanwhile, Stetson is a bit of an anchor on our overall SOS as they stand at 345 in the NET.
    • Michigan has has jumped us with 5 Q1 wins, but the team sheet is arguably "weighed down" by a lot of weaker non-conference opponents. Kansas still has four Q1 wins, but no one else seems to have more than 3.

Should be interesting to see how this develops throughout the year, and much easier to evaluate where things stand as it comes to seeding with the NCAA providing this tool to the public. Could also lead to some interesting controversies come Selection Sunday should their decision making not track with these sheets, haha.
    Isn't KPI kenpom?

I opened the sheets and saw that UVA is NET 1, but it also has UVA KPI #5, and Duke KPI #2. It has Kansas KPI #1 in the sheets. That is not the current Kenpom rankings. The sheets says thru 1/7, so what's up?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I wasn't sure about some of the acronyms either... could POM be "Pomeroy" rankings? I think SOR is Strength of Record, BPI is the Basketball Power Index from ESPN, and assume SAG is Sagarin rankings.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I wasn't sure about some of the acronyms either... could POM be "Pomeroy" rankings? I think SOR is Strength of Record, BPI is the Basketball Power Index from ESPN, and assume SAG is Sagarin rankings.
    Duh...nevermind. Yes, Pom matches.

This is KPI: http://www.kpisports.net/2019kpi-dimbb/