Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This might not be a widely shared opinion, but something about Dan Shulman's intonation drives me crazy (and it's probably just an aggravation that's amplified by being paired with Bilas). Shulman finds a way to be mostly monotone, yet he also over emphasizes every play like it's the most amazing thing he's ever seen.

It's probably just a one-two punch where Duke's opponent will do something routine like hit a 3, and Shulman goes crazy about it, and then Bilas complains that Duke also got away with a foul...

Quote Originally Posted by Danke Shane View Post
    This might not be a widely shared opinion, but something about Dan Shulman's intonation drives me crazy (and it's probably just an aggravation that's amplified by being paired with Bilas). Shulman finds a way to be mostly monotone, yet he also over emphasizes every play like it's the most amazing thing he's ever seen.

It's probably just a one-two punch where Duke's opponent will do something routine like hit a 3, and Shulman goes crazy about it, and then Bilas complains that Duke also got away with a foul...
    totally agree. there's so much schlock and bs with espn. it won't be the same — or better — without Raycom. Truly the end of an era.

I've watched all games on Raycom. I don't like any of the ESPN announcers. But last night, I didn't like those guys either so I just hit mute. And low and behold, Duke came back and won. If G-Man and Brando are not doing the game tonight. It'll be mute time. GoDuke!

Open up the rights to allow anyone call the game and let the free market decide. More creativity, more engagement and ultimately better for the game and customers.

Dear Mr. Brando:

Jettison -- I do not think this means what you think it does.

Sincerely,
    Everyone

I explained to my son bilas went to Duke. He doesn't believe it.all I got is "he doesn't like Duke you can tell"go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    Dear Mr. Brando:

Jettison -- I do not think this means what you think it does.

Sincerely,
    Everyone
    LOLOL, everybody in this family tv room kept looking skyward at that odd word usage. Good catch!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Every second of my ACC tournament viewing took place via Raycom. I caught none of the espn hysterics and for that I am thankful. From my vantage point the focus was entirely on the games. It sounds like there was a lot of peripheral garbage coming from the other broadcasts.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    I am now thoroughly convinced that Jay Bilas is the son of Roy Williams and Debbie Crowder and all evidence of his alleged Duke career is Photoshopped nonsense.
    Nah brah, it's just Bilas pulling the same move JWill did when he started with The Great Satan. Always be over-critical of your alma mater, regardless of visual evidence, and you earn "cred" as an impartial analyst.

Cash check.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

My favorite announcers are the ones whose names I can't recall because they understand the job is to call the game without becoming a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    My favorite announcers are the ones whose names I can't recall because they understand the job is to call the game without becoming a distraction.
    I am convinced that the "P" in ESPN stands for Prattle.

Bilas never met a word he didn't like. He never shuts up!

Turner Sports and CBS has announced its, uh, announcers. (Surprisingly, Wikipedia's 2019 NCAA Tournament page has summed up the same information quite nicely here.)

As expected, the announcing team of Jim Nantz/Bill Raftery/Grant Hill/Tracy Wolfson will call the games in Columbia, SC (Duke's and Virginia's pods). Chris Webber can lie and tell UNC fans there are no timeouts left as he joins Brian Anderson and Allie LaForce in Columbus, OH. If you're wondering, Jim Spanarkel is assigned to Jacksonville, FL. Other announcers include ray of sunshine Len Elmore and Dapper Dan man Steve Lavin.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Turner Sports and CBS has announced its, uh, announcers. (Surprisingly, Wikipedia's 2019 NCAA Tournament page has summed up the same information quite nicely here.)

As expected, the announcing team of Jim Nantz/Bill Raftery/Grant Hill/Tracy Wolfson will call the games in Columbia, SC (Duke's and Virginia's pods). Chris Webber can lie and tell UNC fans there are no timeouts left as he joins Brian Anderson and Allie LaForce in Columbus, OH. If you're wondering, Jim Spanarkel is assigned to Jacksonville, FL. Other announcers include ray of sunshine Len Elmore and Dapper Dan man Steve Lavin.
    This first weekend they have to drag out any announcer who still has a pulse...look forward to muting Notecard Nantz;.. glad the morose Len is elsewhere...whither Toothy Dan Bonner?

Greenberg

I'm not as much of a Seth hater as some. From competing, usually overmatched, against Duke, he clearly carries somewhat of a grudge, but it seems to have toned down some from his relationship with J Will, and I mostly see it as friendly needling now.

Hearing him on the radio as I drove in this morning, though, his bias was clearly showing. The missed shot clock call was a non-issue to him. "That worked itself out." The clear traveling violation on Tremont Waters' game-winner for LSU was a non-event. "I have no problem with that." But, he flyspecked any possible call that conceivably went Duke's way in the last minute and went on and on as if they were the worst calls in the history of basketball. I don't think Zion charged. His arm did not extend, it was debatable whether the defender beat him to the spot, and Zion immediately spun away from the contact, while the defender flopped. You could debate the call, but it's certainly not an obvious miss. I don't think RJ pushed off. The replay doesn't show it. If that was a foul, they need to call a foul on almost every contested rebound. He may have a better case for the Javin hook-and-hold, but the rebound went to the other side. That call will be missed a lot. No mention of other calls that went Central Florida's way (e.g., Cam's clean block that would have led to a fast break and a 10-point lead, but instead was called a foul that cut the lead to 5 and put Cam in foul trouble; Tacco's hammering Zion on a drive with no call, Zion's block/held ball where the ref made an anticipation call).

Probably not relevant on this thread, but Doug Gottleib just spoiled Endgame for me on his radio show.
    Let's go Duke!