Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018 - 2019 Announcers Thread

Post your thoughts here (positive or negative) regarding college basketball announcers.

This will maybe enable "Post Game" Threads to actually be about the game.

I actually wasn't annoyed by Vitale the other night, which is unusual for me. Usually I find his shtick extremely grating but it seemed toned down on Saturday.

I really wish Bonner or Gminski could just call all the games though.

This Bob Wischusen guy....however it's spelled...who is the new partner with Dickie V this year...is terrible. I mean, he really says some stupid stuff. I don't know if he's a little slow mentally (ala Ted Baxter) - or if he takes a stupid stance just to make conversation with Dickie V (ala those mindless happy talk radio morning shows). It's one or the other.

When Dickie V was talking about going to six fouls instead of five, Wischusen asked "why" as if the idea had never been floated before. When Dickie V told him it was to keep the star players people come to see in the game, Wischusen said "isn't the answer just not to foul" - as if there are never any bad calls made. There were other situations too.

Stupidity really annoys me.

It was probably 20 years ago, but I very much enjoyed the Bob Carpenter-Jimmy Dykes pairing. I wouldn't imagine Carpenter would have interest in doing college basketball as he is TV voice of Washington Nationals. But I think Dykes is terrific; he did virginia-fsu on Saturday. It was refreshing to here him. Tired of wischusen's Zion disappoints clemson story. Heard it three or four times already. enough. There really aren't many guys worth a spit.

Six fouls? Another unintelligent idea. If you're not smart enough to "spend/use" your fouls wisely, tough.

Gminski is fantastic. Bonner very good. I'll take Tim Brando for play-by-play, too.

What's Bob Harris up to these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I actually wasn't annoyed by Vitale the other night, which is unusual for me. Usually I find his shtick extremely grating but it seemed toned down on Saturday.

I really wish Bonner or Gminski could just call all the games though.
    Bonner is the best and has been for years!

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    And the G-Man's not bad himself. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    That's funny - I never liked Bonner....for whatever reason. I think one thing is Bonner would NEVER EVER question a ref's call. There would be a call, the replay would show, for example, that there was air space between the defender and the shooter....and Bonner would gloss over it as if the replay showed there was a foul. I just don't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That's funny - I never liked Bonner...for whatever reason. I think one thing is Bonner would NEVER EVER question a ref's call. There would be a call, the replay would show, for example, that there was air space between the defender and the shooter...and Bonner would gloss over it as if the replay showed there was a foul. I just don't get that.
    Then you've got Bilas and there's a problem with every call the ref makes. Most of the time Bilas has a problem with said call. Way too much for my liking. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Then you've got Bilas and there's a problem with every call the ref makes. Most of the time Bilas has a problem with said call. Way too much for my liking. GoDuke!
    And often the calls he has a problem with are in Duke's favor...ya know...to prove he's not a homer...something he's certainly overshot on.

And yes, I like the G Man. Not big on Grant Hill as announcer. He seems a little concerned - as is Bilas - people will call him a Duke homer also...but to my ear, G Man plays it straight.

Good Dan Bonner profile: https://www.newsleader.com/story/spo...pn/2722926002/

I didn't realize he had been asked to leave espn ... and he may not be doing ACC games after this year ...

I am now thoroughly convinced that Jay Bilas is the son of Roy Williams and Debbie Crowder and all evidence of his alleged Duke career is Photoshopped nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    I am now thoroughly convinced that Jay Bilas is the son of Roy Williams and Debbie Crowder and all evidence of his alleged Duke career is Photoshopped nonsense.
    ...and gushes like he wants to be Luke Maye's or Coby White's boy toy....really kinda nauseating...

I'm going to miss Raycom. The commentators on ESPN sometimes annoy me.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I don't know why nobody's mentioned this before, but there's clear evidence that he was replaced by aliens. In fact, here's photographic proof...

aliens-jay.jpg

I come in peace. Yea, right.

Wouldn’t the obvious mother-figure be S. Hatchell?

I agree that he is utterly unlistenable. My family may stop watching games with me if I can’t stop uttering “Shut up, Jay” every time he speaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Good Dan Bonner profile: https://www.newsleader.com/story/spo...pn/2722926002/

I didn't realize he had been asked to leave espn ... and he may not be doing ACC games after this year ...
    I really, really hope ESPN has called or will call Bonner and Gminski as well. They are needed for the ACC Network. The new ACC likes them and the old ACC loves them.

Jay Bilas is terrible. Beyond the odd UNC sycophancy, it's his overuse of superlatives that drives me nuts. I watch a lot of NBA games, too, and for some reason the NBA color analysts - Jeff Van Gundy, Doris Burke, for example - do not feel the need to hype the drama in the same way that Bilas does. Perhaps he's been coached up by ESPN to act this way, but it's *tremendously!* annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I really, really hope ESPN has called or will call Bonner and Gminski as well. They are needed for the ACC Network. The new ACC likes them and the old ACC loves them.
    Sadly, no way espn lets those guys work tournament. I'm in Wisconsin and will miss the Raycom coverage. Have not watched one second of espn, and won't. Love Brando and GMan.

Go Duke !!!!!!!!

Our son, younger daughter and her husband all commented during our group messaging last PM how sick they were of listening to "u"nc Jay. And that was without prompting from dear old dad. Really .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    Jay Bilas is terrible. Beyond the odd UNC sycophancy, it's his overuse of superlatives that drives me nuts. I watch a lot of NBA games, too, and for some reason the NBA color analysts - Jeff Van Gundy, Doris Burke, for example - do not feel the need to hype the drama in the same way that Bilas does. Perhaps he's been coached up by ESPN to act this way, but it's *tremendously!* annoying.
    Bilas is very proud of his quote about Zion when covering Canada games...”oh my God...”. He has referred to it multiple times as if it belongs with Al Michaels’ quote, “do you believe in miracles?” Everything he says is special.