Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DBR Podcast #141 - Zion ends basketball

Words cannot describe the dunk that Zion laid down upon the poor Clemson Tigers... but we give it our best shot. Plus, Sam shows us what Zion's dunk would look like if it was executed by an unathletic, Jewish, business school student wearing blue jeans. Yes, there is video of this amazing event!

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/db...-just-did-that

0:00 Byrd Campbell, your Duke legal team
    0:25 Donald welcomes us to the end of basketball as we know it. Zion has ended what this game used to be.
    1:25 Jason sidetracks us into talking about death and winning the game of life
    2:35 Time to talk about the beatdown of Clemson... Sam runs out of words to describe Zion's dunk
    7:00 We debate who got higher on the dunk, Zion doing it, or RJ celebrating it
    9:20 Sam takes the Zion challenge... Sam must jump in the air and do a 360 (he will not be required to dunk). Donald videotapes it so we all can see what happened! You can watch it here: https://twitter.com/dbrsbn/status/1081759880908816387
    11:40 Back to the game, Sam talks for a long time about what is up with Cam Reddish?!?!
    15:15 Jason is falling more and more in love with Tre Jones
    18:00 Time to talk about two other key role players who were great against Clemson, Jack White and Marquis Bolden
    22:20 Duke won by 20 against a good team in a game where Duke really didn't play all that well... how scary is that?
    24:00 Sam talks about the tightening rotation
    26:40 We pause to thank Byrd Campbell for supporting the pod
    27:15 We preview Wake and Florida State, Duke's first road games
    33:35 We sidetrack back to Sam's 360 leap
    39:25 This is your annual reminder that Leonard Hamilton is a lot older than you think
    41:15 Player of the week, Jason breaks hearts by refusing to join the crowd in picking Zion
    43:25 Parting Shots - Jason on the quiz you must pass to get to the front of the tenting line
    45:25 Parting Shots - Sam reminds everyone to go back and watch the show where we interviewed Kenny Dennard
    46:30 Parting Shots - Donald with some praise for the Duke alumni band
    48:10 Bonus Parting Shot on the difference between spaceships and free throws
    50:30 Duke band plays us out as we debut the nickname, "360 Sam"
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Sam, I am more impressed with your limberosity than your 360!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Jason, as one who graduated just a few years before you, I know what it’s like to get a little older. Old habits do die hard. In fact, I still catch myself calling Bank of America Nationsbank. All this to say, it was at least 3 times you referred to Tre Jones as Tyus.

This getting older ain’t for the faint of heart!

As usual, great job in the podcast to all if you!

I was heartened to hear mention of the Alumni Band. Are there any DBRs who play in it?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Sam, I am more impressed with your limberosity than your 360!
    I can touch my toes even with these little T-Rex arms.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Jason, as one who graduated just a few years before you, I know what it’s like to get a little older. Old habits do die hard. In fact, I still catch myself calling Bank of America Nationsbank. All this to say, it was at least 3 times you referred to Tre Jones as Tyus.

No, you just misheard me. I was using Tre's entire name. It is a little known fact that his middle name is Ulysses. I was say "Tre-us," which is what his close friends call him, not Tyus

That's my story and I am sticking to it

-Jason "in other news, I know there was one time I said "Virginia" when I meant to say "Villanova" (when talking about who Florida State had lost to). It was a bad night for me" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm such a hater... I really, truly think he only made it about 343 degrees...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

And that might have been a travel. GoDuke!

Two of Zion's teammates beg to differ about "the dunk."

From the Raleigh N&O yesterdeay:

"And there was no mercy whatsoever in the dunk, even if teammates R.J. Barrett and Mike Buckmire both rated it “a 7 or 8,” based on what they have seen behind the scenes."

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    And that might have been a travel. GoDuke!
    I'm going to send this in to K. He might have a spot for him on the bench. But the beard will have to go. Consider it a community service.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I'm going to send this in to K. He might have a spot for him on the bench. But the beard will have to go. Consider it a community service.
    Is he fast enough to be a manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Is he fast enough to be a manager?
    That's a tough one. Those guys can do the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs.

Some of us call it NCNB....some may be old enough to say North Carolina National Bank.......

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Some of us call it NCNB...some may be old enough to say North Carolina National Bank....
    Some of us knew CCB (now Sun), FUNB (now Wells Fargo) and Guaranty State Bank as well as Security Savings & Loan, among others.

Some of us call it NCNB...some may be old enough to say North Carolina National Bank....
    While at Duke, I had a CCB account. I came to Nationsbank through one of their many acquisitions (American Security Bank in Wash DC.) I think it may have been an NCNB account for a minute before becoming Nationsbank.

Banks!

How many posters remember: Southern National Bank, Peoples Bank and Fleet National Bank? So many have merged into the larger banks and been forgotten. GoDuke!

I was heartened to hear mention of the Alumni Band. Are there any DBRs who play in it?
    In the past, yes. Sadly, I missed my chance this year.

Some of us call it NCNB...some may be old enough to say North Carolina National Bank...
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Some of us knew CCB (now Sun), FUNB (now Wells Fargo) and Guaranty State Bank as well as Security Savings & Loan, among others.
    While at Duke, I had a CCB account. I came to Nationsbank through one of their many acquisitions (American Security Bank in Wash DC.) I think it may have been an NCNB account for a minute before becoming Nationsbank.
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    How many posters remember: Southern National Bank, Peoples Bank and Fleet National Bank? So many have merged into the larger banks and been forgotten. GoDuke!
    In August 1972 I opened my checking account at the CCB branch in the basement of the Union building. In the spring of 1973, NCNB put an ATM machine (in the corner of the Union building nearest the bus station) in and I got my first BankAmericard credit card!

I never did have an account at Walkalloverya, um, Wachovia.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    In August 1972 I opened my checking account at the CCB branch in the basement of the Union building. In the spring of 1973, NCNB put an ATM machine (in the corner of the Union building nearest the bus station) in and I got my first BankAmericard credit card!

I never did have an account at Walkalloverya, um, Wachovia.
    Wachovia was taken over by Wells Fargo as a result of the financial crisis. Wells Fargo became part of what was First Union National Bank - and the name of the larger entity was changed to Wells Fargo. The original Wells Fargo and Wachovia no longer exist.

Same with NCNB/NationsBank. It took over Bank of America and then changed its name to Bank of America.
    Last edited by Indoor66; 01-08-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Add 2nb paragraph.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Why is this content on the internet and how do I remove it? What was I thinking?