Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    They have an excellent shooter in Guy - if he can be shut down - they do not have a lot of great talent. UVA is a very patient team that does not make mistakes on either end. They are frustrating to play and will challenge Duke in a big way- as they will test the Freshmans’ concentration on D and pack line will take away a strength. UNC has much more talent in their lineup but play at a different pace that is more aligned with Duke. A lot of good teams in the league.
    I would put both Jerome and Hunter's talent on par with Guy's. Not as pure scorers, but they are more than capable there. I believe all 3 guys came in averaging about 15ppg (give or take a point, and pace adjusted to a more uptempo team like Duke that's around 18ppg), and all shooting over 40% from 3. Those guys both (Hunter and Jerome) had an off shooting day vs FSU though for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Just to be clear, those "mop up guys" were:
    1. a team manager
    2. 2 walkons
    3. 2 scholarship player - one was a big at the far end of the court, the other was getting doubled by the man who would normally guard the inbounder.

FSU basically spent the last 1:30 min forcing the ball to a team manager or walkon, then trapping and forcing repeated turnovers. Bennett was (as much as I've seen him) staring daggers at hamilton. Still, not the type of guy to put starters or even rotation players back in the game.
    I did not know about the mop up guys experience but could tell(eye test) that they are not very good bb players. I agree Hamilton did keep his starters in way too long. No way to come back from that far down. Wonder what he'd be saying today if one of his star players went down with a season ending injury. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be fair, there is a LOT of dead time in football. And dead air sounds really weird. I don't blame them for trying to fill the void.
    Dead time is OK on TV. Classic broadcast line from the legendary Ray Scott, supposedly broadcasting a Packers game: Three words: "Starr." "Bowler." "Touchdown." (Bart Starr TD pass to Boyd Dowler, for the younger generation.)

When Verne Lundquist broadcast "The Shot," he didn't say anything for about 30 seconds after Laettner's shot went in.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I did not know about the mop up guys experience but could tell(eye test) that they are not very good bb players. I agree Hamilton did keep his starters in way too long. No way to come back from that far down. Wonder what he'd be saying today if one of his star players went down with a season ending injury. GoDuke!
    The same Leonard Hamilton who gave up in his Elite 8 game against Michigan last year (down four, 12 seconds remaining, didn't foul). The pendulum swings wide with that one, it seems.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I would put both Jerome and Hunter's talent on par with Guy's. Not as pure scorers, but they are more than capable there. I believe all 3 guys came in averaging about 15ppg (give or take a point, and pace adjusted to a more uptempo team like Duke that's around 18ppg), and all shooting over 40% from 3. Those guys both (Hunter and Jerome) had an off shooting day vs FSU though for sure.
    Braxton Key looked pretty good to me. I thought one of the TV guys said he was an outstanding shooter and he looked to be. GoDuke!
    Last edited by -jk; 01-07-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I don't think it's all that uncommon for coaches to leave starters in when getting beat badly as a kind of lesson. I'm fairly certain we could find more than an example or two of Duke doing it (we just don't get blown out often enough for it to be a thing). I'll agree that the aggressive trapping was unnecessary but this seems like much ado about nothing.

Interesting Analysis of Cam's Eyes

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/12/3...nce-eye-level/

I have thought since the Kentucky game that Cam is loose with the ball (I thought we had more turnovers then as my impression was Cam lost several balls on drives). The linked article suggests that Cam often looks down when dribbling. Have others observed this as a problem? And if so, how easy is it to address? Up thread there was a suggestion that Cam has grown; such growth I would think could exacerbate a tendency or even need to look down at the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    https://www.thestepien.com/2018/12/3...nce-eye-level/

I have thought since the Kentucky game that Cam is loose with the ball (I thought we had more turnovers then as my impression was Cam lost several balls on drives). The linked article suggests that Cam often looks down when dribbling. Have others observed this as a problem? And if so, how easy is it to address? Up thread there was a suggestion that Cam has grown; such growth I would think could exacerbate a tendency or even need to look down at the ball.
    That's an interesting article and points to something specific Cam would seem to need to tighten up regarding his handle.

Also, I think it was simply idle (baseless) speculation by a poster above about Cam's ball-handling issues somehow being tied to a recent growth spurt. As far as I can tell he's been listed at 6-7 or 6-8 since his Jr. year in HS. So, I seriously doubt that he's had any recent growth spurt or that this would provide any explanation for his recent ball-handling difficulties.

The theory in the article you linked + Troublemaker's point that Cam hasn't been strong enough with the ball and/or that he is simply pressing right now since he's in a shooting slump (while, as noted above, not getting as many touches trying to adjust to playing with RJ and Tre) all seem to me much more reasonable explanations than a phantom growth spurt.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dead time is OK on TV. Classic broadcast line from the legendary Ray Scott, supposedly broadcasting a Packers game: Three words: "Starr." "Bowler." "Touchdown." (Bart Starr TD pass to Boyd Dowler, for the younger generation.)

When Verne Lundquist broadcast "The Shot," he didn't say anything for about 30 seconds after Laettner's shot went in.
    “The Shot” was a singular, seismic moment, and that combined with the noise and chaos in the stadium was what made it ok.

That one-time silence is far different than 3 hours of repeated silence broken up by . It is one thing to let one of the greatest endings to one of the greatest games ever tell its own story. But for those 30-40 seconds between 1st and 10 and 2nd and 10 in the second quarter of a 13-6 regular season football game? Yeah, silence isn’t gonna cut it.

There is 50 years of data that TV companies have used to determine the best way keep viewers interested and on their channel. If they believed that announcers being quiet more would improve ratings, you can be darn sure we would be seeing that happen. The fact that we aren’t seeing silence should tell you all you need to know.

It may very well be that you would prefer more silence, but that isn’t the preference shared by viewers in general.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    That is, after his YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!! after it went thru the net...and then, Vern, the consummate pro in a big moment, knew what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That is, after his YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!! after it went thru the net...and then, Vern, the consummate pro in a big moment, knew what to do.
    Yeah he did. Ha.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Didn't seem to bother James Worthy all that much.
    Georgetown lost by a basket so maybe giving the Heels a couple with goal tending was not such a great idea.

8D778146-9138-478F-8E68-44B3F4132384.jpg
    Edit: Seems it’s uploading a poor quality version from my phone so here’s the DukeMBB Twitter link.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/s...810048/photo/1

Still makes my jaw drop.
    Last edited by DukeDevil; 01-08-2019 at 07:11 AM.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00