Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 309

Thread: NFL Playoffs

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Chicago's got to get to 17 points at home against that decimated Eagles secondary, though. Also, ending the drive with a 43-yard FG attempt for a shaky kicker in windy Chicago isn't going to get young Trubisky an NFL Films voiceover treatment. Get 15 more yards, and now we're talking.
    Worth noting that Trubisky threw for over 300 yards in that game, including over 200 yards in the second half. He played pretty well in the second half. I think both the playcaller and the QB were a bit nervous in the first half, which is understandable as both were making their first ever appearance (in Nagy's case first as a head coach) in the playoffs.

    And yes, it'd have been nice to be even closer than the 26 for the FG attempt. But he only had 48 seconds and 1 timeout to work with. Trubisky went 2-3 for 33 yards plus a spike of the ball to stop the clock with 18 seconds left. That's pretty darn good. Would it have been nice to have gotten it down to the 10 or 15? Sure. But it's not like he had a ton of time to work with.

    Once they got it to the 25, there were 18 seconds and no timeouts left. The Bears had one play available at that point. But it had to (a) avoid a sack and (b) not be stopped in bounds. So the playbook was pretty tight. Rather than a roll-out (which would reduce sack risk and possibly open up the sideline), Nagy called a straight drop back. When Philly blitzed, Trubisky took the smart play and chucked it deep over the middle for an incompletion.

    Honestly, there wasn't much more he could have done. If I were the coach, I'd have not called the timeout so quickly. That really handcuffed the offense and probably cost them one additional play. But, hindsight is 20/20.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    That said, Trubisky is clearly not the worst QB in the league. He's young and had an excellent QBR this season under a new coach / offensive mind. Hopefully Nagy can further develop him.
    Yeah, that was more of a lighthearted jab at whoever it was that said he was the worst starting QB in the league and worse than half (I think) of the backups in the league coming into the season.

    Now, Trubisky is far from an elite QB right now. He's probably middle-of-the-pack amongst starters, but with promise. But there were at least 10 passing offenses I'd like to have less than the Bears' QB and receiver group. He was just hindered by an arcane coaching staff and an absolute lack of weapons in 2017, both of which were substantively revised going into 2018.

    Still plenty of room to grow though. But he's showing a lot of promise I think.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    I've often thought the most awkward situation in sports is being the spindly little placekicker whose failed kick lost the game...at least Codey Parker didn't have to
    endure a long plane ride home with all those worn out, gigantic, dyspeptic teammates around him. Must be mortifying...

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I've often thought the most awkward situation in sports is being the spindly little placekicker whose failed kick lost the game...at least Codey Parker didn't have to
    endure a long plane ride home with all those worn out, gigantic, dyspeptic teammates around him. Must be mortifying...
    I've thought about that too. In this particular case, the first thing that happened after the miss was a big offensive lineman came up and hugged him, patted him on the helmet, etc. A lot of this has to do with what kind of presence the kicker is "in the room" as they say.

    Also, we now know the ball was tipped (may or may not have gone thru without that). And he did score most of their points on the game. A 43 is not a chippie...not a gimme.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Always sucks when the Cowboys win (the UNCheat of the NFL). Hopefully that ends next weekend.
    Felt bad for the Bears but their starting QB is from UNCheat so I'm good with them losing.

    I really want the Pats to lose. Not hating on them, just wants some new teams in mix. Chargers, Chiefs or Colts out of the West would be cool (now that Deshaun, Nuke and the Texans are out).

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Also, we now know the ball was tipped (may or may not have gone thru without that). And he did score most of their points on the game. A 43 is not a chippie...not a gimme.
    All true points. The problem for Parkey, however, is that he did not earn himself any benefit of the doubt over the course of the regular season. He was mediocre, at best (I think he'd missed 7 or 8 FG's and 3 XP's already), with shaky range, had already blown a win by himself in Miami, and was making way too much money for the performance. The miss at the end of the game last night was entirely predictable. He came into the game as the biggest looming weakness on the team, and a lot of people feared this exact outcome.

    I'm a Vikings fan, so maybe predisposed to seeing dark linings in every silver cloud, but when Cohen started off the last drive last night with a great kickoff return, I said to the Bears fans in the room "Hey, they're already halfway to where they need to get for Cody Parkey to miss a game winning field goal!"

    Had he made a couple from long distance last night before the miss, I could see giving him more credit for the 9 points he'd already scored in the game, but those were all chip shots. And if the median NFL placekicker these days made less than about 80% of their attempts from 40-45 yards, I could see a little more sympathy headed his way for the last one. But they do make 80%+ from that range nowadays. Unfortunately for him, even the fact that the NFL just changed the ruling on the final play to a block isn't going to help him all that much. If it's someone busting up the middle or getting around the end to smother a kick, that's all on the line, but not elevating the kick quickly enough to get the ball over the outstretched arms of a defensive tackle? I think the kicker takes the blame on that one pretty much every time, unless it's a 54-yard attempt or something. He may have kicked it lower intentionally, because when they'd iced him a minute earlier his kick, while successful, was not exactly the booming, halfway up the uprights into the net "would have been good from 53, not 43" sort of result we've all gotten used to seeing in recent years.

    All that said, I do wonder if that block changed the amount of fade he would have gotten by modifying the spin, etc. It's possible he was starting it out a little left intentionally, and the tip, while it changed the immediate trajectory to something more in line with the upright instead of wide left, denied the ball its full planned arc. Don't know enough about the physics of kicking footballs, though, to really speculate. In any event, that one strikes me as a "don't give away the hole" putt in golf.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    All true points. The problem for Parkey, however, is that he did not earn himself any benefit of the doubt over the course of the regular season. He was mediocre, at best (I think he'd missed 7 or 8 FG's and 3 XP's already), with shaky range, had already blown a win by himself in Miami, and was making way too much money for the performance. The miss at the end of the game last night was entirely predictable. He came into the game as the biggest looming weakness on the team, and a lot of people feared this exact outcome.

    I'm a Vikings fan, so maybe predisposed to seeing dark linings in every silver cloud, but when Cohen started off the last drive last night with a great kickoff return, I said to the Bears fans in the room "Hey, they're already halfway to where they need to get for Cody Parkey to miss a game winning field goal!"

    Had he made a couple from long distance last night before the miss, I could see giving him more credit for the 9 points he'd already scored in the game, but those were all chip shots. And if the median NFL placekicker these days made less than about 80% of their attempts from 40-45 yards, I could see a little more sympathy headed his way for the last one. But they do make 80%+ from that range nowadays. Unfortunately for him, even the fact that the NFL just changed the ruling on the final play to a block isn't going to help him all that much. If it's someone busting up the middle or getting around the end to smother a kick, that's all on the line, but not elevating the kick quickly enough to get the ball over the outstretched arms of a defensive tackle? I think the kicker takes the blame on that one pretty much every time, unless it's a 54-yard attempt or something. He may have kicked it lower intentionally, because when they'd iced him a minute earlier his kick, while successful, was not exactly the booming, halfway up the uprights into the net "would have been good from 53, not 43" sort of result we've all gotten used to seeing in recent years.

    All that said, I do wonder if that block changed the amount of fade he would have gotten by modifying the spin, etc. It's possible he was starting it out a little left intentionally, and the tip, while it changed the immediate trajectory to something more in line with the upright instead of wide left, denied the ball its full planned arc. Don't know enough about the physics of kicking footballs, though, to really speculate. In any event, that one strikes me as a "don't give away the hole" putt in golf.
    I mean...Parkey has always just been an average kicker. I'm still amazed Ross never found a spot.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    All true points. The problem for Parkey, however, is that he did not earn himself any benefit of the doubt over the course of the regular season. He was mediocre, at best (I think he'd missed 7 or 8 FG's and 3 XP's already), with shaky range, had already blown a win by himself in Miami, and was making way too much money for the performance. The miss at the end of the game last night was entirely predictable. He came into the game as the biggest looming weakness on the team, and a lot of people feared this exact outcome.

    I'm a Vikings fan, so maybe predisposed to seeing dark linings in every silver cloud, but when Cohen started off the last drive last night with a great kickoff return, I said to the Bears fans in the room "Hey, they're already halfway to where they need to get for Cody Parkey to miss a game winning field goal!"

    Had he made a couple from long distance last night before the miss, I could see giving him more credit for the 9 points he'd already scored in the game, but those were all chip shots. And if the median NFL placekicker these days made less than about 80% of their attempts from 40-45 yards, I could see a little more sympathy headed his way for the last one. But they do make 80%+ from that range nowadays. Unfortunately for him, even the fact that the NFL just changed the ruling on the final play to a block isn't going to help him all that much. If it's someone busting up the middle or getting around the end to smother a kick, that's all on the line, but not elevating the kick quickly enough to get the ball over the outstretched arms of a defensive tackle? I think the kicker takes the blame on that one pretty much every time, unless it's a 54-yard attempt or something. He may have kicked it lower intentionally, because when they'd iced him a minute earlier his kick, while successful, was not exactly the booming, halfway up the uprights into the net "would have been good from 53, not 43" sort of result we've all gotten used to seeing in recent years.

    All that said, I do wonder if that block changed the amount of fade he would have gotten by modifying the spin, etc. It's possible he was starting it out a little left intentionally, and the tip, while it changed the immediate trajectory to something more in line with the upright instead of wide left, denied the ball its full planned arc. Don't know enough about the physics of kicking footballs, though, to really speculate. In any event, that one strikes me as a "don't give away the hole" putt in golf.
    I agree with a lot of what you said above...and he did say he was playing the wind a bit...so the tip might've made the difference. I do not think he is at fault for the tip, the ball had what seemed to me to be normal elevation. He has not, however, been a consistently good kicker by NFL standards.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Kicking game aside, was anyone else surprised that the Ravens stayed with Jackson late in the game when it was clear they were going to need to move the ball through the air to close the gap? I know they ended up making a decent attempt at a comeback, but I really thought they should have put Flacco in late 3rd/early 4th. Jackson was electric in college, but I think he is going to prove to be the wrong answer at QB there long term.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Kicking game aside, was anyone else surprised that the Ravens stayed with Jackson late in the game when it was clear they were going to need to move the ball through the air to close the gap? I know they ended up making a decent attempt at a comeback, but I really thought they should have put Flacco in late 3rd/early 4th. Jackson was electric in college, but I think he is going to prove to be the wrong answer at QB there long term.
    Playing devils advocate, Flacco isn't the long term answer either... I say roll with the young gun who got you there and let him grow from it. From what I gather from the talking heads thus far this week, the consensus is that the Raven coaching staff did a poor job of in-game scheming and adjusting to the 7 DB approach that the Chargers threw at them and didn't put Jackson in a great spot to succeed... They just rolled with their gameplan and stayed on script, and didn't get creative til the last couple of drives (and look how those turned out). With as poor as the Raven's O-line looked at times, IMO Flacco wouldn't have added enough with his arm and experience to make up for his deficient scrambling ability.
    "Hey, that's Duke LaMere. You know what his name is? His name is Duke LaMere." - Dick Vitale, 12/2/2008 https://youtu.be/B9G9zFzi7Is

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I like Jackson's future as a different breed of QB (sorta a Cam Newton-lite**). I don't think he will ever be an All-Pro but he can win you games and could be a nice fit with the Ravens, "win with D" culture as I suspect he will become a good possession QB who leads extended drives. Still early, but I think he has a decent future in Baltimore.

    -Jason "**-lite as in not quite as good and certainly not as big... though Jackson's speed could be a weapon for which NFL defenses are unprepared" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Kicking game aside, was anyone else surprised that the Ravens stayed with Jackson late in the game when it was clear they were going to need to move the ball through the air to close the gap? I know they ended up making a decent attempt at a comeback, but I really thought they should have put Flacco in late 3rd/early 4th. Jackson was electric in college, but I think he is going to prove to be the wrong answer at QB there long term.
    The Bolts were bringing consistent pressure without blitzing. If Jackson had not barely escaped a sack and then thrown a long pass over the defense across the field while running in the wrong direction, the comeback would never have gotten off the ground. By the time the fans wanted to put in Flacco, it was probably too late to come back with anyone other than Jackson.
    Carolina delenda est

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Kicking game aside, was anyone else surprised that the Ravens stayed with Jackson late in the game when it was clear they were going to need to move the ball through the air to close the gap? I know they ended up making a decent attempt at a comeback, but I really thought they should have put Flacco in late 3rd/early 4th. Jackson was electric in college, but I think he is going to prove to be the wrong answer at QB there long term.
    No it would have been a huge mistake imo to put Flacco in. He's your future and he's super young. Benching him like that could mentally throw him off for a long time and it sends him a bad message. When they first started him they didn't have much faith in making the playoffs but he lost 1 game. Let him take his lumps in the playoffs as a rookie so he can use that as motivation in the off-season to improve his throwing mechanics and turnover problems.


    **Heavily disagree with you JE on the Cam lite comp though.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    **Heavily disagree with you JE on the Cam lite comp though.
    Care to expand on that? I merely meant he is a guy who struggles a bit with accuracy but who presents a running threat that makes his different from most other QBs in the league. I fully agree that he does not have Cam's size or arm strength, not even close. That's why I said "lite."
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Care to expand on that? I merely meant he is a guy who struggles a bit with accuracy but who presents a running threat that makes his different from most other QBs in the league. I fully agree that he does not have Cam's size or arm strength, not even close. That's why I said "lite."
    My guess is that they present very different types of running threats, to greatly oversimplify it is speed (Jackson) vs. power (Cam), with Cam's strength theoretically also making him more durable. Also, despite his inconsistencies, Cam is definitely a better passer than Jackson (at least pre-shoulder injury). I'm surprised there hasn't been all the same talk about Jackson's durability that surrounded a bunch of other smaller running QBs. Maybe there has and I just haven't heard it.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    My guess is that they present very different types of running threats, to greatly oversimplify it is speed (Jackson) vs. power (Cam), with Cam's strength theoretically also making him more durable. Also, despite his inconsistencies, Cam is definitely a better passer than Jackson (at least pre-shoulder injury). I'm surprised there hasn't been all the same talk about Jackson's durability that surrounded a bunch of other smaller running QBs. Maybe there has and I just haven't heard it.
    Especially when you consider that he averaged 16 rushing attempts per game in his starts. That equates to 256 over a full season, which would have ranked him 4th in the entire NFL this year, behind Ezekiel Elliott (304), Saquon Barkley (261) and David Johnson (258), and tied with Todd Gurley (256). In other words, Jackson ran roughly as often as a number of the most featured RBs in the league. I'm highly dubious that is sustainable over a full season, much less multiple seasons.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Always sucks when the Cowboys win (the UNCheat of the NFL). Hopefully that ends next weekend.
    Felt bad for the Bears but their starting QB is from UNCheat so I'm good with them losing.

    I really want the Pats to lose. Not hating on them, just wants some new teams in mix. Chargers, Chiefs or Colts out of the West would be cool (now that Deshaun, Nuke and the Texans are out).
    LOL at PTI last night when they showed vulgar Jerry Jones's new $250 million, 350 foot yacht, which bears a striking resemblance to an organ men have (not a Hammond). Almost a parody kind of vessel.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I've often thought the most awkward situation in sports is being the spindly little placekicker whose failed kick lost the game...at least Codey Parker didn't have to
    endure a long plane ride home with all those worn out, gigantic, dyspeptic teammates around him. Must be mortifying...
    I'm not sure why you feel that way. For example, Yepremian was always a total stud and could have easily been an NFL QB. I loved his amazing arm.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I'm not sure why you feel that way. For example, Yepremian was always a total stud and could have easily been an NFL QB. I loved his amazing arm.
    LOL...I think 100% of his passes resulted in touchdowns....
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Always sucks when the Cowboys win (the UNCheat of the NFL). Hopefully that ends next weekend.
    I strongly agree! It's a real shame Romo retired. I loved him in the playoffs.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think 100% of his passes resulted in touchdowns...
    Absolutely, I'm not sure why Shula stuck with Griese.

Similar Threads

  1. MLB Playoffs
    By A-Tex Devil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-30-2018, 08:39 AM
  2. NHL Playoffs
    By Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2017, 09:40 PM
  3. NHL Playoffs
    By mr. synellinden in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM
  4. NBA Playoffs
    By superdave in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 748
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 12:51 AM
  5. NHL Playoffs
    By mac46 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •