Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: NFL Playoffs

Yes but

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Wasn't this years Rams offense around 11th best in NFL history?
    Not in the Super Bowl. Belachick put in a defense to stop it, and stop it he did. Rams Coach did not do enough to counter. Many Rams fans think Gurley is in fact injured and that may have been a big factor as he is more of a weapon on play action than Anderson.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    They're very experienced and very well coached...so you would expect better than average performance on close calls. Of the 8 Super Bowls before this one, they had won 5 and lost 3 (under Belichick/Brady) and all 8 could have gone the other way...ESPN had a really good breakdown on that last week. So 5-3 is slightly better than 4-4 so I'd say the Pats were on schedule.

Now as far as close games earlier in the playoff structures - I've no figures on that.
    I have no doubt that part of the record is luck (if you know any die hard Oakland Raiders fans, just saying Tuck Rule still induces immediate acute myocardial infarction) and part is preparation, planning and execution. It does not hurt that the Patriots seek every possible advantage.

My only point is that it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the Patriots have been utterly dominant the past two decades. The reality — sustaining this level of success based on winning one possession games where injuries, penalties and the simple bounce of the ball can all send you home — is even more impressive. This isn’t UCLA under Wooden or the Bulls with Jordan, Pippen and Phil Jackson. It is unique.

Unless K can add some more rings to his fingers.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.a580dc1c1276

I think this is the article. When you factor in the Belichick is also the GM, it's clear to me he's the best NFL coach ever and it's not really that close. What makes him so good is that he picks the players and then he can fit the players into an opponent specific game plan that might be 180 degrees from what they've done all year.

I think you could make a fairly strong argument that Bill Belichick is the best coach of any major American sport, ever.
    Furthermore, he replaces all stars who leave with guys who seem ordinary, and he keeps on winning. Just plug in the new guy. Not many big star names on defense or offense (other than Brady, Gronk and Edelman), which is one of his key attributes, i.e. they don't throw tons of money on every guy who has a good year...and they NEVER give guys big contracts for past performance/sentimentality reasons alone...lose a step and you're gone...which is why he almost got rid of Brady, but Bob Kraft intervened it would seem. Strongly suspect Bill and Tom exit together.
    p.s. yes, that's the article, thanks for the link...

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I have no doubt that part of the record is luck (if you know any die hard Oakland Raiders fans, just saying Tuck Rule still induces immediate acute myocardial infarction) and part is preparation, planning and execution.
    And FTR, I happen to think the tuck rule is an awful rule...it's a dropped ball, it should be a fumble...and you have to wonder if any of this would have happened without that very fortuitous call.

You never know....I cringe sometimes when I wonder what would or would not have happened had Hurley not made the 3 against UNLV....what if there was no Immaculate Reception (another one to anger Raider fans)...would there have ever been a Steeler dynasty.

When the Pats made the Super Bowl, it was a bummer for all but Pats fans. For me it wasn't hate, just apathy. Watched a good bit of the game. It was terrible, I didn't make it to the end. First time ever.

Two days later I can say that the behavior of Pats fans online has my apathy quickly dissipating and being replace with a strong dislike. I'm glad their run will soon be over. Based on the SB, I'm thinking it's over already.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And FTR, I happen to think the tuck rule is an awful rule...it's a dropped ball, it should be a fumble...and you have to wonder if any of this would have happened without that very fortuitous call.

You never know...I cringe sometimes when I wonder what would or would not have happened had Hurley not made the 3 against UNLV...what if there was no Immaculate Reception (another one to anger Raider fans)...would there have ever been a Steeler dynasty.
    Part of the NFL commercial showed Franco Harris reenacting the Immaculate Deception (except it did not show the ball touching the ground or hitting two offensive players in a row which was illegal at the time), and I almost choked on a wing. It still burns 46 years later. The Raiders would have beaten the undefeated Dolphins that year won the Super Bowl over the Skins. What a travesty! The worst ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Part of the NFL commercial showed Franco Harris reenacting the Immaculate Deception (except it did not show the ball touching the ground or hitting two offensive players in a row which was illegal at the time), and I almost choked on a wing. It still burns 46 years later. The Raiders would have beaten the undefeated Dolphins that year won the Super Bowl over the Skins. What a travesty! The worst ever!
    I understand the pain, and not of just a game, but of maybe determining the next dynasty. That said, there was no replay then, and the play was simply not "referee-able" given the doink bounce and odd confluence of events.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I understand you're a Raiders fan, but isn't it a bit sad that video review might have overturned arguably the greatest football play of all time?

Certainly would have been a bummer to wait 10 minutes for the results of the game while the referee had his head under the hood. (Do they still do that? I stopped watching football a few years ago)

Very Impressive

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I have no doubt that part of the record is luck (if you know any die hard Oakland Raiders fans, just saying Tuck Rule still induces immediate acute myocardial infarction) and part is preparation, planning and execution. It does not hurt that the Patriots seek every possible advantage.

My only point is that it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the Patriots have been utterly dominant the past two decades. The reality — sustaining this level of success based on winning one possession games where injuries, penalties and the simple bounce of the ball can all send you home — is even more impressive. This isn’t UCLA under Wooden or the Bulls with Jordan, Pippen and Phil Jackson. It is unique.

Unless K can add some more rings to his fingers.
    The Pats have been somewhat blessed in that the Jets, Dolphins and Bills have been pretty weak most of the time, so they win their division easily and often get the first round bye.

However so many NFL games come down to one or two plays and for the Pats to have this record is really remarkable. And so many teams have their season ruined by injuries, but the Pats keep winning.

In the Super Bowl the Rams were missing Kupp injured and Gurley for whatever reason was a non-factor. Pats doubled on Woods and put their best defender on Cooks. They also rushed the middle of the line, Rams weakest point. Without a 3rd receiver and without the Gurley, the vaunted Rams offense was stifled.

SoCal