Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Premier League (and other soccer stuff) 2019

How did Liverpool not score on this play?!?!

https://deadspin.com/this-near-goal-...hro-1831468813
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This feels like a bad move for him. Hope he succeeds.

Arsenal fans let out a deep breathe. The Invincibles are safe for another year. Dear Lord this must be what it feels like to be a Miami Dolphins fan

Just finished listening to the American Fiasco podcast hosted by Roger Bennett from Men in Blazers. Released this past summer before the World Cup, the ten part series chronicles the 1998 US Men’s Team as it qualifies for and eventually bombs out of the ‘98 World Cup.

I’m not a big podcast guy but it was fascinating. Would recommend it to any soccer fan (casual or diehard.)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...389231303?mt=2

ATLUTD — first three games: ouch, WOW, ugh. Monterrey will be tough.

Euro — have a chance to see Paris Saint-Germain at Parc does Princes. Any tips/advice? The Ultràs were curbed greatly the last few years so I assume the really rowdy stuff is minimal compared to many other places.

ATLUTD — first three games: ouch, WOW, ugh. Monterrey will be tough.

Euro — have a chance to see Paris Saint-Germain at Parc does Princes. Any tips/advice? The Ultràs were curbed greatly the last few years so I assume the really rowdy stuff is minimal compared to many other places.
    "Parc Does Princes". Lol at that autocorrect. Were you there for the Champions League game yesterday? That would have been intense.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    "Parc Does Princes". Lol at that autocorrect. Were you there for the Champions League game yesterday? That would have been intense.
    That handball call at the end was -- questionable.

Was not there for that, unfortunately. It would be a league game in about a month.

(Yeah, my autocorrect neigh parlay view pah Francis)

That handball call at the end was -- questionable.

Was not there for that, unfortunately. It would be a league game in about a month.

(Yeah, my autocorrect neigh parlay view pah Francis)
    Ah, I thought it was a legit call (so did the lads in the studio...hey, aren't you Steve Nash?)...pretty ballsy by the German ref, what with the French home crowd, but since when are the Germans shy in Paris ? (rhetorical question).
    PSG ultra squandered that game, giving up a couple of stupid goals...they utterly controlled play for long stretches, appeared to think they could score at will, but didn't. (at one point they had
    possession 80% of the match)...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ah, I thought it was a legit call (so did the lads in the studio...hey, aren't you Steve Nash?)...pretty ballsy by the German ref, what with the French home crowd, but since when are the Germans shy in Paris ? (rhetorical question).
    PSG ultra squandered that game, giving up a couple of stupid goals...they utterly controlled play for long stretches, appeared to think they could score at will, but didn't. (at one point they had
    possession 80% of the match)...
    And that early goal they gave up was just a really dumb defensive play.

Dunno about the handball -- player was turning his back, yeah his arm was not against his torso but it was not hanging out to block either. Tough call, and as you say a ballsy call. At that point, you know that giving the handball almost certainly takes the game from penalties to Man U winning.

And that early goal they gave up was just a really dumb defensive play.

Dunno about the handball -- player was turning his back, yeah his arm was not against his torso but it was not hanging out to block either. Tough call, and as you say a ballsy call. At that point, you know that giving the handball almost certainly takes the game from penalties to Man U winning.
    it surely was a game determining call, not to mention a series determining call, no doubt about it. I thought the defender's arm was sticking pretty far out...had the ref made that call in the UK against a British team, they might still be feeding on the ref's carcass...all in all I think PSG took the game rather cavalierly, much to their detriment...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    it surely was a game determining call, not to mention a series determining call, no doubt about it. I thought the defender's arm was sticking pretty far out...had the ref made that call in the UK against a British team, they might still be feeding on the ref's carcass...all in all I think PSG took the game rather cavalierly, much to their detriment...
    Fair read.

I missed ATLUTD getting their fannies smacked in Monterrey, but did not sound encouraging. Some growing pains for the new coach, a win this weekend against Cincinnati would be helpful.

I missed ATLUTD getting their fannies smacked in Monterrey, but did not sound encouraging. Some growing pains for the new coach, a win this weekend against Cincinnati would be helpful.
    I too missed that match, but the de Boer era is not off to the greatest of starts, to say the least. Guzan is also not looking good...howlers in both the MLS opener and the match in Monterrey.
    Got to win on Sunday...no excuse to lose in the Benz vs. an expansion squad.

Did
    that
    just
    happen!??!?!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The winning goal.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The winning goal.
    That's awesome, I thought they were done after the first leg. To beat Barca 4 nil at home in 90 minutes no less is right up there with the greatest comebacks in history!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    How did Liverpool not score on this play?!?!

https://deadspin.com/this-near-goal-...hro-1831468813
    I guess you got your answer four months later, the Futbol deities were saving up their favors...an unbelievably entertaining game to watch, and the winning goal play was sublimely duplicitous.

Exhilarating match! Glad Liverpool won. Wonder if the Liverpudlians chanted "Please don't bite us!" at Luis Suarez?

Decision Day draws nigh. Relegations are set, but lots of drama at the top of the table. 1-2 in a battle (Go Liverpool); Chelsea is safely in the top four; Tottenham and Arsenal fighting for the last spot.

Plus, Tottenham about to drop at Ajax to see who meets Liverpool in the UEFA Championship. Man City in the FA Cup final in ten days against Watford.

Fun times!

Tottenham and Arsenal fighting for the last spot.
    That might be academic. Best case scenario for my Gunners would be a Spurs loss and a win by nine goals. That's their only path. The might fall to seven even. UEFA Cup is their only chance to the Champions League.