Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Asheville vacation suggestions

Haven't been to Asheville in a long time (what's wrong with me???) but taking the family in October and would love suggestions on great things to do (in addition to Biltmore). We have two kids in elementary school, so looking for good family fun... outdoors, best family hiking spots, etc. And any good family restaurant recommendations would be awesome. I'm pretty sure we're have to hit Hi-Wire brewery at some point!

Thanks in advance everyone!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Haven't been to Asheville in a long time (what's wrong with me???) but taking the family in October and would love suggestions on great things to do (in addition to Biltmore). We have two kids in elementary school, so looking for good family fun... outdoors, best family hiking spots, etc. And any good family restaurant recommendations would be awesome. I'm pretty sure we're have to hit Hi-Wire brewery at some point!

I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions from the locals on DBR. Vortex Doughnuts and Burial Beer are an awesome combo, IMO. And Grove Park Inn is worth a visit, too.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Holy Shamoly, how much time do you have? Myself and others here could fill about three weeks of activities for you. As far as "outdoors" goes, well, I run a little camping store in town. Drop me a PM and I will be happy to offer your lengthy advice. Here's a list of kid friendly breweries in town, and if you are beercentric there's no shortage of places to visit.

October should be a great time to visit. If your trip doesn't overlap with my Ocracoke trip, I'd be happy to offer you advice in person and perhaps raise a glass.
    Let's go Duke!

Drink lots of local beer, there is plenty of it.

Cruise up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Craggy Gardens and Mount Mitchell (about 30 and 45 minutes from downtown Asheville). Craggy is a great place for a picnic and easy hike. Mitchell is the highest peak east of the Mississippi River. Excellent views!

Downtown is always fun. Lots of buskers and museums.

Lots of great breakfast places. Skip Tupelo Honey - it isn't what it once was. Instead, try Sunny Point (prepare to have a long wait), Biscuit Head, or Homegrown. King Daddy's and Early Girl are also nice options. If you like doughnuts, you HAVE to check out Hole. Best doughnuts I have ever had. Just trust me.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you need more suggestions!

I was there for the Beer City Cup soccer tourney last week. We rented a house in the local hills with wonderful views. Fantastic sunrises and sunsets. Very relaxing!

Your first stop should be ricks68's beer fridge. He needs a lot of help there.

I'll let the locals offer much better suggestions than I ever could but you'll run out of time before you run out of breweries in downtown Asheville.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Besides enjoying an all day drive on the parkway, my girlfriend and my favorite time we had we went over Memorial Day was taking in a movie at Asheville Brewing's theater. (Only one movie to choose from, we got Batman Vs. Superman). Great way to spend a night together, with kids too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Elementary-age kids?

Zoos are good.

The otters are way cool.

http://wncnaturecenter.com/

Seeing the Asheville area sights

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Cruise up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Craggy Gardens and Mount Mitchell (about 30 and 45 minutes from downtown Asheville). Craggy is a great place for a picnic and easy hike. Mitchell is the highest peak east of the Mississippi River. Excellent views!
    Depending on your family's wishes, I might suggest going SOUTH on the BRP. The hike to the top of Mt Pisgah is reasonably easy, with great views, and there is a restaurant nearby at the Pisgah Inn. A bit further south is Devil's Courthouse, which has some spectacular views for a short, but steep, hike to the top.

If you go north, Crabtree Meadows has a nice waterfall ( = lunch spot?) to hike to and Linville Falls is nice (except for the crowds!). I might skip Craggy as it is primarily a late spring (rhodo-) stop. Mt. Mitchell is so-so but a separate drive from the BRP. The views can be good, and the major trails are. . .paved! Also may be crowded.

One caveat: Remember the maximum speed limit on the BRP is 45 mph, and with (weekend/fall) traffic you won't even approach that. Getting from point A to point B can take some time!

I can't offer any comments on watering holes in the area. . .it's been several years since I was there. If you decide to visit the Biltmore House and/or the Grove Park Inn. . .bring plenty of coinage!

Enjoy your trip!

k

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Your first stop should be ricks68's beer fridge.
    Better yet, check out ricks68's guestroom! I'm sure he'd love to host all the Rosenrosens!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Better yet, check out ricks68's guestroom! I'm sure he'd love to host all the Rosenrosens!
    He does have a pretty cool guest room/man cave

He does have a pretty cool guest room/man cave
    And it's not far from the garage...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

My kids and I enjoyed the Pinball Museum during our visit. One admission fee, unlimited play. Plus they have every single arcade game from my '80s youth.

Ok guys. You are all correct.😊
    Still don't have time to put in my 2 cents worth, but all the suggestions have been good, including the pinball museum. (It is now booked well in advance and has expanded, so check on availability now if you want to go.) Later.

ricks

Thanks everyone!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I have a related question. My 12 year old daughter and I will be making our yearly trip to Camp Rockmont (just outside of Asheville). The rest of our Y-Guides tribe won't be joining us this year so on Friday night (after rafting during the day), we'll be on our own for dinner. Anyone have a good dinner suggestion? We usually eat downtown and walk around a bit (although we aren't usually by ourselves).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I have a related question. My 12 year old daughter and I will be making our yearly trip to Camp Rockmont (just outside of Asheville). The rest of our Y-Guides tribe won't be joining us this year so on Friday night (after rafting during the day), we'll be on our own for dinner. Anyone have a good dinner suggestion? We usually eat downtown and walk around a bit (although we aren't usually by ourselves).
    What kind of food do you and your daughter like?

Hiking? Several options. Bent Creek and The Arboretum right next to it. Bent Creek Experimental Forest has a parking fee but you can park outside the park and walk in. Watch out for bikers. They tend to fly through some of the trails and the little ones could get run over.

The Arboretum charges by the vehicle iirc. http://www.ncarboretum.org/ Many things for the children and you to explore. Right off of the parkway too!

Drive north up the parkway to the Folk Arts Center. Spend about an hour or less checking it out. Drive further north to access many hiking opportunities.

About 30 minute drive to Mt. Mitchell State Park. I'm not sure you'd want to take the kids on some of those trails but there is a nice hike from the store/education center to the top where you can see for miles around and take some cook pics with the kids. Mine loved it.

October is getting to be cool so I'm not sure if you'd want to go rafting. You can rent a kayak or something and float the French Broad. I've used these folks and the cost is very reasonable.

If you venture south to Dupont State Park. You'll find Hooker falls just a short hike from one of the parking areas. A longer hike will take you to Triple Falls. You and the kids will really enjoy. Watch your step and the kids while you're up there (or on any hike for that matter). Seriously. Too many folks come here and end up hurt or dead.

The Davidson River is to the west of Dupont. You'll find one of the trout hatcheries there along with the Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education Center (with mini-aquariums) and short trail system with lots of educational materials on the trail. There are "animals" throughout the hike that the kids will get to spot. Bring some quarters to buy some trout chow and you can feed the trout. Bring a fly rod (and purchase a license) and fish one of the best Single Hook Artificial / Catch & Release river sections around. Further down the river there is a no regulations stretch of river with lots of trout, campgrounds, a forestry education center, etc. The Davidson is a great tub river but that time of year would tend to be too cold. There is a trail along the river that is beautiful, relatively safe and close to amenities.

Dining? Try Chestnut if you're downtown. Exceptional, made from scratch. You'll pay for it but it is worth it. Try the charcuterie.

Like Barbeque? Try Moe's Original down in Biltmore Village after you've been to the Estate. Voted Best wings several years running. Just down from my house and I eat there often.

The Lobster Trap has many good reviews but I've not ventured there.

Papas & Beer is an outstanding Mexican restaurant. I've eaten there so many times I can't recall the number but I have never had a bad meal there. Don't be surprised if you have eaten all you can and there is still food left on your plate. It is great!

Are you into sushi? Some of the best around can be found in Asheville.

I'll stop there because I could go on and on about the dining opportunities. One thing you won't hear about is the local food truck scene. Search for Asheville Food Trucks and you'll see a page dedicated to getting the schedule out for where these trucks will be. There is even a FB page for it.

What kind of food do you and your daughter like?
    That's a good question. I'm pretty open but she's a little picky. Frankly, even though she's in middle school, she still usually eats off the kids menu. So first, nothing upscale or fancy. We'll we wearing shorts, t-shirts (and/or sweatshirts). I will say that I tend to be more mainstream and meat oriented :-)

I thought about just grabbing pizza at Barley's but it's been so long since I was there that I can't remember if it's appropriate for a 12 year old girl. When I used to visit Asheville more often it was to see a friend who worked/lived at Hannah Flanigans and at the time we were more interested in beer than food.