Page 780 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 2806807307707787797807817827908308801280 ... LastLast
Results 15,581 to 15,600 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The bottom line is that this thread is largely populated by folks who are not exactly fans of the President and, as a result, there are a ton of posts that are critical of him. We all need to be more tolerant of views that are less than flattering when it comes to Joe Biden as well. I know that expressing personal opinion is not technically allowed here but it slips in a lot and I am largely trying to let it slide when the opinions helps advance the overall conversation. My frustration is that when someone who is not exactly a Trump fan mentioned something that was less than a full throated endorsement of Biden, he got more criticism than was warranted. The exact same post, if it had merely changed the word "Biden" to "Trump" would probably have won praise.
    This surprises me somewhat. Either (1) I’ve not consistently read posts carefully enough, or (2) the criticisms by Biden supporters toward non-endorsement of Biden have been expressed privately to Jason, or (3) this is a case of over-extrapolation from several posts on the word “lousy,” or (4) Jason is wrong. Probably a combo of (1) and (2), but I’m loathe to let Jason’s assertion stand without pressing a little.

But the only way I could press is by referring to my own posts criticizing and defending Biden, and that’s too awkward. Nor would it be fair to expect Jason or anyone else to cite several specific posts that respond too harshly to criticism of Biden. So, Jason, could you simply reply whether it’s (1) or (2) above? Possibly (3)?

I’d be especially charmed if you choose (4).

As I mentioned upthread, early voting started in Georgia today. MrsPK is volunteering at the early voting center in our county. There was a very long line all day and still is. People apparently started lining up at 6:30 this morning or earlier (polls opened at 7:30 or 8, not sure which).

Per social media and other friends, it looks like this is true across most if not all of the state.

Could be headed for record high voting, which usually does not favor the incumbent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As I mentioned upthread, early voting started in Georgia today. MrsPK is volunteering at the early voting center in our county. There was a very long line all day and still is. People apparently started lining up at 6:30 this morning or earlier (polls opened at 7:30 or 8, not sure which).

Per social media and other friends, it looks like this is true across most if not all of the state.

Could be headed for record high voting, which usually does not favor the incumbent.
    Interesting. Do you think Joe can win GA? I'd expect to host aliens at a backyard BBQ before that happens, but this year I guess anything is possible.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...n-night-428856

Fairly likely Biden is winning on election night and the networks choose not to call before at least some of the mail in ballots are counted.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The most challenge part of the current political environment is that Trump does himself no favors, none at all. His tweets speak for themselves. Reporting those tweets, even without commentary, can quite easily be seen as an attack against the President. We all know he does it.
    Yeah. Trump tweeted about NY and California today in a profane way and I’m not sure what you do with those sorts of comments from POTUS directed at his country’s states and citizens.

I think electorally there’s a certain exhaustion with the President but what else do you say?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Interesting. Do you think Joe can win GA? I'd expect to host aliens at a backyard BBQ before that happens
    I think there's another recent thread with some posters who might tell you that this isn't all that unlikely

Interesting. Do you think Joe can win GA? I'd expect to host aliens at a backyard BBQ before that happens, but this year I guess anything is possible.
    I'll be shocked if Joe wins Georgia. But it's possible.

Put another way -- if Georgia is still too close to call into the early hours, there's a national Democratic rout going on.

I'd expect to host aliens at a backyard BBQ before that happens...
    Are you 100% certain you haven’t already done so?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    This surprises me somewhat. Either (1) I’ve not consistently read posts carefully enough, or (2) the criticisms by Biden supporters toward non-endorsement of Biden have been expressed privately to Jason, or (3) this is a case of over-extrapolation from several posts on the word “lousy,” or (4) Jason is wrong. Probably a combo of (1) and (2), but I’m loathe to let Jason’s assertion stand without pressing a little.

But the only way I could press is by referring to my own posts criticizing and defending Biden, and that’s too awkward. Nor would it be fair to expect Jason or anyone else to cite several specific posts that respond too harshly to criticism of Biden. So, Jason, could you simply reply whether it’s (1) or (2) above? Possibly (3)?

I’d be especially charmed if you choose (4).
    As I said earlier, I don't want to have a lengthy discussion of this and it really is not about figuring out which one or two or ten posts were problematic. This is about all of us recognizing that we should be a bit more understanding of views that may not exactly jive with our own... especially the liberal posters who have been given more than ample leeway when it comes to being critical of one of the candidates.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The 538 model says Georgia is a toss-up. It gives Trump a 54% chance of winning the state. It projects the popular vote in the state at Trump 49.9% and Biden at 49.3%.

So, it is close...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

This was being discussed on another site. How many northern people had moved down south and changed the voting demographic. Another said we built the wall too far south..So that's out there, along with talks of secession...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    This was being discussed on another site. How many northern people had moved down south and changed the voting demographic. Another said we built the wall too far south..So that's out there, along with talks of secession...lol
    Was thinking of cool terms for Southern exit. Sexit isn't that term.

There has certainly been an influx of folks from the north; a tremendous growth of suburbs (especially in Metro Atlanta); higher levels of education; tons of younger professionals; and a more diverse population than when I moved to Georgia in the late 1980's. All of these are factors in the changing of Georgia's political landscape. Not sure I would really pin it one a single factor.

The problem with any talk of succession is that it is hard to define voting trends across multiple groups of states. Ok, lets say the South wanted to secede, what would you do with Florida, Georgia, or North Carolina -- all of which looks at least somewhat likely to go blue this election? What about Texas and especially Arizona and New Mexico? In the mid-Atlantic, you have deep red West Virginia surrounded by the blue of Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania... and perhaps even Ohio. Heck, Maine's first district is at least somewhat likely to go for Trump in the middle of some of the most likely Biden states in the union.

And, of course, if it were to secede, the South would instantly lose economic/job/tax revenue generating companies (and employees) in Atlanta, Raleigh (and the triangle), Charlotte, Orlando, and Miami. Take Atlanta and Charlotte out of the south and the economics of the region will collapse.

I know all of this is just joking and fanciful, but the realities of it are sobering.

-Jason "I should add that if the blue wanted to be rid of the red states, good luck finding farm fresh food in your blue states" Evans

Doesn’t Cary stand for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees

Ask many Floridians and they would tell you the answer is simple for our state: just draw a line through from Tampa on the West Coast moving up through Orlando and pushing to the East Coast. The northern part of that divide is southern, and the southern part is northern. Apologies to Wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...n-night-428856

Fairly likely Biden is winning on election night and the networks choose not to call before at least some of the mail in ballots are counted.
    I mentioned this many pages ago and it was emphasized last night on an interview with the head of the election board of North Carolina. The state election boards do not “call” elections the media does. In addition he said they would not certify any vote until they counted all the votes. That is true of all states.

Just be alert when you're bending over to check the ribs.

The problem with any talk of succession is that it is hard to define voting trends across multiple groups of states. Ok, lets say the South wanted to secede, what would you do with Florida, Georgia, or North Carolina -- all of which looks at least somewhat likely to go blue this election? What about Texas and especially Arizona and New Mexico? In the mid-Atlantic, you have deep red West Virginia surrounded by the blue of Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania... and perhaps even Ohio. Heck, Maine's first district is at least somewhat likely to go for Trump in the middle of some of the most likely Biden states in the union.

And, of course, if it were to secede, the South would instantly lose economic/job/tax revenue generating companies (and employees) in Atlanta, Raleigh (and the triangle), Charlotte, Orlando, and Miami. Take Atlanta and Charlotte out of the south and the economics of the region will collapse.

I know all of this is just joking and fanciful, but the realities of it are sobering.

-Jason "I should add that if the blue wanted to be rid of the red states, good luck finding farm fresh food in your blue states" Evans
    As a born and raised Texan, I can safely say the only reason Texas is part of the union is so residents don't have to have a passport to go ski in Colorado during the winter.

They'll be jjjuuuuuussssstttt fine...

I think the only succession that would have even a remote chance of occurring would be something like California/Washington/Oregon with maybe Nevada included. Those 4 states could absolutely make it on their own. California could probably do it by themselves but how would that even go down? Would the other states fight to keep them in the union? Would there be a war?