Page 685 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 1855856356756836846856866876957357851185 ... LastLast
Results 13,681 to 13,700 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Damn straight.
    I’ll get that signed engagement letter, and the retainer check, over to you soon, man! Thanks for your patience.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I’ll get that signed engagement letter, and the retainer check, over to you soon, man! Thanks for your patience.
    “Will work for beer”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Will work for beer”
    There’s a thread for that.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

And that thread never gets put in timeout. The thread does take timeouts for a beer though.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    And that thread never gets put in timeout. The thread does take timeouts for a beer though.
    If the internet was around at the height of the tastes great/less filling battles, who knows what would have happened! Though I'm guessing Miller Lite is a little low brow for the beer connoisseurs there...

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Reuters/ipsos poll taken after RBG’s death shows 62% of adults, including HALF of republicans, believe the vacancy should be filled by the winner of the election.

I’ll stand by my point that this would be a death kiss for Trump and maybe even for the senate majority. This does not poll well and certainly will not help the GOP like some have suggested.
    But how does it break down v the electoral college?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    But how does it break down v the electoral college?

-jk
    I don't think we know enough yet. The 538 take was Republicans have to confirm. They can't pass this up. Repercussions be damned. They do think there will be repercussions and possibly severe.

I don't think we know enough yet. The 538 take was Republicans have to confirm. They can't pass this up. Repercussions be damned. They do think there will be repercussions and possibly severe.
    I don't know...things are already looking bleak, would things getting worse be all that bad compared to the reward of a 6th conservative justice?

My kids are still young and there are plenty of times the are happy to accept punishment for actions and feel they got the good end of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I don't know...things are already looking bleak, would things getting worse be all that bad compared to the reward of a 6th conservative justice?

My kids are still young and there are plenty of times the are happy to accept punishment for actions and feel they got the good end of the deal.
    Sure. But presumably your kids are more mature than politicians.

Sure. But presumably your kids are more mature than politicians.
    They are 7 and 9...so unless I ask the to eat mushrooms, I would say they are.

Ha! Genius!!

It could get very interesting. Pelosi said that nothing is off the table including trying to impeach Bill Barr to occupy the Senate. I think that would be a really bad move by Pelosi. That would galvanize the base a make Pelosi into a Hillary like target for Trump to gather the same support he got in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    It could get very interesting. Pelosi said that nothing is off the table including trying to impeach Bill Barr to occupy the Senate. I think that would be a really bad move by Pelosi. That would galvanize the base a make Pelosi into a Hillary like target for Trump to gather the same support he got in 2016.
    Except Nancy isn't his opponent.

The SCOTUS, like all of politics, become politicized to the point that it’s legitimacy may be questioned by large segments of the public. Imo the issue is lifetime appointments. The stakes for each new appointment have become paramount to the point that presidents look for the youngest candidates who can serve the longest, justices serve until death and the senate grills appointments over being immature, drunk and handsy in HS. I know the court has been expanded in the past - what is the process?

If anyone asked I would propose a 17 member court serving 16-year terms with a justice rotating off and a new justice appointed each year. The president would nominate the next justice 60-days before a justice rotates off the court. If there is no vote before the justice rotates off, the appointment is automatically confirmed. Voting down a justice would require a 70% majority.

With 4 justices appointed each term, the stakes would be lowered, and the best justices, regardless of age, could nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Pelosi and McConnell need to do the stimulus deal and leave this other stuff to the side. Americans are hurting and all they want to do is fight.

Reforming SCOTUS

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    The SCOTUS, like all of politics, become politicized to the point that it’s legitimacy may be questioned by large segments of the public. Imo the issue is lifetime appointments. The stakes for each new appointment have become paramount to the point that presidents look for the youngest candidates who can serve the longest, justices serve until death and the senate grills appointments over being immature, drunk and handsy in HS. I know the court has been expanded in the past - what is the process?

If anyone asked I would propose a 17 member court serving 16-year terms with a justice rotating off and a new justice appointed each year. The president would nominate the next justice 60-days before a justice rotates off the court. If there is no vote before the justice rotates off, the appointment is automatically confirmed. Voting down a justice would require a 70% majority.

With 4 justices appointed each term, the stakes would be lowered, and the best justices, regardless of age, could nominated.
    YES! This is exactly the kind of thing that would reduce the randomness and significance of the SCOTUS sweepstakes. Mayor Pete had a similarly targeted reform plan for SCOTUS that made it similar to an arbitration panel--there'd be a set of conservative justices and a set of liberal justices and they'd have to agree on the members of a third "neutral" set of justices. The problem is, much like the Electoral College, these kinds of reforms would take an amendment to accomplish and currently our process is too fractured to deliver anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post

Sounds great! As soon as my preferred tribe is behind on the metaphorical supreme court Justice count, I'll propose it. Just as with gerrymandering reform , I only support it when my side is losing.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Sounds great! As soon as my preferred tribe is behind on the metaphorical supreme court Justice count, I'll propose it. Just as with gerrymandering reform , I only support it when my side is losing.
    Well, anti-gerrymandering should be supported regardless of who is in charge. We shouldn't be supporting disenfranchising populations, which is what gerrymandering is.

But SCOTUS term limits is a more nuanced discussion.

Trump says he’ll name his nominee by this weekend. We have 2 GOP senators that support the “Nov 4 winner should choose” idea. Alexander has said he supports Trump’s plan so I guess the question marks are Romney and maybe Gardner and Grassley?

Meanwhile, Romney is making the news jabber rounds as a potential Biden Secretary of State.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephReidBooks View Post
    YES! This is exactly the kind of thing that would reduce the randomness and significance of the SCOTUS sweepstakes. Mayor Pete had a similarly targeted reform plan for SCOTUS that made it similar to an arbitration panel--there'd be a set of conservative justices and a set of liberal justices and they'd have to agree on the members of a third "neutral" set of justices. The problem is, much like the Electoral College, these kinds of reforms would take an amendment to accomplish and currently our process is too fractured to deliver anything like that.
    I think the bolded part is inaccurate. The number of members on the Supreme Court was set at 9 by legislation, not a Constitutional amendment, in 1869. So in 2021 Dem majorities in both houses could pass a law upping that number, which could be signed by a Dem president. Whether they would do so, I don’t know. Nor does anyone know, right now, whether Dems will win the White House and Senate. Very complicated politics, but virtually everything has been thrown out the window since 2016 election.