Page 678 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 1785786286686766776786796806887287781178 ... LastLast
Results 13,541 to 13,560 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    All this will do is further inflame the anti-Trump fervor and bring it to a boiling point. Like many here have said he basically has only his base and he cannot win without pulling in voters who are not part of his base.

This kind of strong arm move would have the opposite effect of broadening his tent. If he actually wants to win the presidential election this is the wrong move.
    Maybe it is time for plan B. Trump could nominate himself for the Supreme Court.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    They can have the actual vote after Election Day so they just have to dodge question but don’t have to publicly vote on it. Then Mitch just has to worry about people going rogue.
    True. So, I should probably amend my armchair analysis somewhat --- hard time imagining they can dodge this question though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    McSally. You funny.
    Especially because I would expect Gardner, Collins, McSally, Ernst, and so on to be voting after election day. This vote will not carry an immediate electoral penalty (though in some cases, the penalty may have already happened).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

McSally. You funny.
    If Kelly wins, he takes office basically right away. I read nov.30th.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    True. So, I should probably amend my armchair analysis somewhat --- hard time imagining they can dodge this question though.
    “I will evaluate the nominee on their merits and will reach out to my constituents to evaluate how they think I should proceed.” Politicians are very good at dodging questions and saying nothing.

Sorry. I am absolutely heartbroken and completely at a loss for words.

The most 2020 thing ever!

Ya'll aren't looking at this the right way. You are failing to see the forest for the trees. 2020 is playing us in a big, big way and no one has noticed.

RBG is just the set up. She is the short con that leads to the long con. Get ready for it... here you go...

There is no way, no chance, none, that Mitch and the Senate get a nominee on the court before election day, right? We can all agree about that, I think.

So, can you see it coming? You know what is going to happen...

Contested election. States with legal challenges. Uncertainty about how to count votes and so on... and here we are with an 8 person Supreme Court that can be deadlocked 4-4.

A redux of Bush-vs-Gore with the court locked in a tie is the most 2020 thing 2020 ever 2020'd to us.

Book it... it is happening.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    If Kelly wins, he takes office basically right away. I read nov.30th.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Nov. 30th would be too late? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ya'll aren't looking at this the right way. You are failing to see the forest for the trees. 2020 is playing us in a big, big way and no one has noticed.

RBG is just the set up. She is the short con that leads to the long con. Get ready for it... here you go...

There is no way, no chance, none, that Mitch and the Senate get a nominee on the court before election day, right? We can all agree about that, I think.

Contested election. States with legal challenges. Uncertainty about how to count votes and so on... and here we are with an 8 person Supreme Court that can be deadlocked 4-4.

A redux of Bush-vs-Gore with the court locked in a tie is the most 2020 thing 2020 ever 2020'd to us.

We had a good run, it was a nice country while it lasted.

You can't be a superpower forever, right? Seems like the U.S. collapsing in on itself like a partisan black hole might as well be the way we go.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Nov. 30th would be too late? Really?
    In a word: Yep

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/09...d-of-election/

Murkowski on the record that she will not vote to put a new justice on the court until after election day.

She also noted that months prior to the 2016 presidential election, while Obama was still president, Senate President Mitch McConnell said Americans needed to pick the next president before the Senate confirmed a new justice to the Supreme Court.

“That was too close to an election, and that the people needed to decide,” Murkowski said, recalling McConnell’s argument at the time. “That the closer you get to an election, that argument becomes even more important.”

Again - God help us.

But my reading of history (annd theology) is that God has little interest in rescuing people from their own idiocy. we are stuck with this for better or worse.

McSally. You funny.
    You were right, I was wrong. She's already tweeted on the matter. I stand by my observation that when you're getting thumped like McSally is and something this consequential comes along, a good campaign should at least take a damn minute to consider their options.

I’m putting a pie bet out for the first person who wants to take it. There will be a nominee for the Supreme Court by this time next week, with a schedule for approving that nominee before Election Day.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDude View Post
    Maybe it is time for plan B. Trump could nominate himself for the Supreme Court.
    Hmm, hadn’t thought of that. You know something, why not? Let’s do this!

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/09...d-of-election/

Murkowski on the record that she will not vote to put a new justice on the court until after election day.
    One down, three to go. Name them.

Democratic Senator Ed Markey
    https://twitter.com/EdMarkey/status/1307122232850870274

Mitch McConnell set the precedent. No Supreme Court vacancies filled in an election year. If he violates it, when Democrats control the Senate in the next Congress, we must abolish the filibuster and expand the Supreme Court.
    As I said earlier... if Mitch does this now, he pays the price down the road with at least 2 more liberals on the bench and probably with DC as a state (and 2 more reliable Democratic senators).

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Couldn’t even wait until the body was cold. What a wanker.
    Welcome to 2020, where the impossible, improbable, and unthinkable becomes reality. How do they sleep at night?

One down, three to go. Name them.
    Collins, Romney, and... uhhh... Alexander? Maybe Ben Sasse?

Is this pre or post election day? If post election day then I only need 3 because McSally is replaced by Kelly.