Page 67 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869771171675671067 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I'm not taking that bet. I have a very good friend, ex-New York public school teacher with a great pension, union man, very liberal. He has stated several times he will not vote for anyone taking away his private health insurance.

I really don't understand why some Ds are trying to force this issue. I could understand making it one of the options, that you could pay for a government plan. But then again I don't pay much attention to this issue. Obamacare is now pretty popular, take the win and move on.
    Yeah, I don't really get it as a matter of politics. From a theoretical point of view, I think I understand. One of my buddies is a physician and his point is "Hey, once you agree that everyone should have health care, what actual value do the insurance companies really provide?". But as a matter of politics, I think it would make more sense to promise to cover everyone, but not to make an enemy of the health care lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    In case anyone cares...here is a full debate transcript.

https://time.com/5615358/2020-first-...te-transcript/

It's clear that among Independents, a strong economy is Trump's biggest position. Democrats are not afraid to go right at that and talk about how they feel the economy is doing good only at the top. They are more than willing to talk down the economy to their voters. I think you'll see this during the primary season as well as the general election. If the economy heads south, they'll just pile on.

I think it's a far better strategy than attacking Trump's character. Not that he's bullet proof, but I think everyone that can be swayed one way or the other have already moved. "Trump might be a jerk/misogynist/Satan, but he'll let me keep my health insurance".
    Thanks, I see your point.

I'm a finance geek, and, from my perspective, they're not truly addressing how the overall current economy is doing (maybe, the primary issue in past elections?), but, they're instead trying to change economic policy. I agree it's easier to motivate people to vote for changing economic policy when the current economy is bad. However, I believe most of their supporters are more concerned about economic policy, than the state of the overall current economy.
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 06-27-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Night 2 — Thursday, June 27th:

Joe Biden
    Bernie Sanders
    Kamala Harris
    Pete Buttigieg
    Kirsten Gillibrand
    Michael Bennet
    Marianne Williamson
    Eric Swalwell
    Andrew Yang
    John Hickenlooper

Batter up!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    In case anyone cares...here is a full debate transcript.

https://time.com/5615358/2020-first-...te-transcript/
    Lord, it was tedious enough listening to it. Read it now? Impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Lord, it was tedious enough listening to it. Read it now? Impossible.
    Does the text run across itself as people were talking over one another?

Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I am not a lawyer but I believe they Supreme Court usually does a big flurry of decisions now, at the end of the term?
    Yes, the Court generally must issue all of its rulings for its pending and argued cases before ending the term. The most controversial or hardest cases are often at the end, just because it takes that long to get the opinions drafted in a way to reach the agreement of other justices. It's not deliberate AFAIK.

Useful sites for following 2020 candidates:

To see rise and fall in popularity:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...tion-6730.html

Who is trending (or being googled the most):

https://trends.google.com/trends/sto...MW2oBAACFKM_en

If anyone else has some they find helpful could you continue to add on to this by linking them up.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

People are giving Tulsi a lot of hell for dodging the "gender pay gap" question, but I thought it was a smart move. She knew she would not be getting a ton of speaking time, so she used what little time she had to discuss the central plank of her platform (endless wars and interventionism). She is surely not going to win the nomination, but if she gains enough steam this could be an issue that is a made a priority for the DNC.

Buy Kamala futures.

Sell Biden futures.

Hold Bernie futures if you want, although Warren futures are worth the higher price.

Sell everyone else tonight.

Smoke Williamson futures if you got some.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Buy Kamala futures.

Sell Biden futures.

Hold Bernie futures if you want, although Warren futures are worth the higher price.

LMAO...( no small task 😫&#128534

Buy Kamala futures.
    What is the chance that Kamala is the nominee OR the nominee's VP? 80%? 90%? 95%?

Buy Kamala futures.

Sell Biden futures.

I wouldn't buy Kamala either she did herself no favors last night. This group seemed to be more stacked up top but ultimately it came down to Bernie saying his usual and then everyone else trying to gang up on Biden.

Seems like we can already narrow this field down to Warren, Booker, Bernie, and Biden with outside chances for Tulsi, Kamala, and Castro. Perhaps Beto can do damage control but that first night was rough on him.

*Felt bad for Yang, did he only get asked 1 legitimate question and then 1 more that they only wanted to be a 2 word answer? I despise these debate formats where the loudest and rudest people tend to get all the air time. This is so easily remedied imo.

** Mayor Pete might have a bright future ahead. He shiwed well I thought last night but I think he is 2 or 3 elections too early.
    Last edited by JNort; 06-28-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I wouldn't buy Kamala either she did herself no favors last night. This group seemed to be more stacked up top but ultimately it came down to Bernie saying his usual and then everyone else trying to gang up on Biden.

Seems like we can already narrow this field down to Warren, Booker, Bernie, and Biden with outside chances for Tulsi, Kamala, and Castro. Perhaps Beto can do damage control but that first night was rough on him.

*Felt bad for Yang, did he only get asked 1 legitimate question and then 1 more that they only wanted to be a 2 word answer? I despise these debate formats where the loudest and rudest people tend to get all the air time. This is so easily remedied imo.

** Mayor Pete might have a bright future ahead. He shiwed well I thought last night but I think he is 2 or 3 elections too early.
    Watching again and I've changed my mind some on Kamala. I must have missed a couple of her answers. She had a stronger performance than I thought.

once again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in that several people (e.g. Bernie) made both some winner and loser lists, though everyone seems to agree Harris stood out in a good way.

one-eyed Puggle

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...
    Mayor Pete has a one-eyed Puggle: https://twitter.com/firstdogsSB

I didn't know this fact till today. If this news were more widely known, it could only help him, I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Mayor Pete has a one-eyed Puggle: https://twitter.com/firstdogsSB

I didn't know this fact till today. If this news were more widely known, it could only help him, I'd imagine.
    Why? It bears no relevance to anything.

Because that's how lots and lots of people vote. Charisma and "do I want to drink a beer with this person." It is strange, but true.

It's cute. Sparks warm feelings. Checkers ... former GOP chairman Michael Steele cutting commercials holding a puppy to soften his image ... others believe in the boost in favorability numbers politically. A cute, one-eyed rescue dog ... seems it would resonate with some on various levels, demonstrating compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Because that's how lots and lots of people vote. Charisma and "do I want to drink a beer with this person." It is strange, but true.
    And the do I want to drink a beer test is a proxy, I believe, for relatability and judgment. Will this person relate to what I consider important and see things as I do generally, and will I trust that person's judgment? Good areas to base a choice on, in my opinion. Funny how cringe-worthy Warren's attempt to drink a beer with us all via video went over.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    And the do I want to drink a beer test is a proxy, I believe, for relatability and judgment. Will this person relate to what I consider important and see things as I do generally, and will I trust that person's judgment? Good areas to base a choice on, in my opinion. Funny how cringe-worthy Warren's attempt to drink a beer with us all via video went over.
    I suspect that whatever you want to term that test killed Al Gore, Mitt Romney, and Hillary. It certainly didn't help.