Page 624 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 1245245746146226236246256266346747241124 ... LastLast
Results 12,461 to 12,480 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I’m definitely not a fan of federal agents. However, this was not merely a bunch of peaceful hippies holding a passive protest. MLK would not have approved of a substantial portion of the behavior before the arrival of the federal agents.

In your opinion, what was the best way to resolve this problem? How could Biden have solved this problem?
    State agents atleast in s.carolina have done the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    No one would be happy if someone destroyed their property. That’s a given.
    Then why is a substantial portion of the media trying to imply the property owner’s voice is not just as important as the business owner’s?

I’m definitely not a fan of federal agents. However, this was not merely a bunch of peaceful hippies holding a passive protest. MLK would not have approved of a substantial portion of the behavior before the arrival of the federal agents.

In your opinion, what was the best way to resolve this problem? How could Biden have solved this problem?
    Worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS5l_yc0h1A
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Then why is a substantial portion of the media trying to imply the property owner’s voice is not just as important as the business owner’s?
    Is that what’s happening? The only article I’ve seen on it is the ABC one linked above and that is pretty neutral and describes the respective positions of all involved. The President did misspeak (intentional or accidental) in attributing the store ownership to the property owner but the article does not suggest the property owner’s rights do not matter.

Edit: I did check a few liberal sites and do think their articles on this are (not surprisingly) slanted but the major outlets seem to be reporting fairly, if at all, on this.

I certainly think the former owner of the business has a very important voice, in this matter, since they still own the property. I wouldn’t be happy if some losers destroyed my property. Would you?
    Trump inferred that it was the owner of the building’s business and it was not. In fact the business owner had clearly said he would not be interviewed. Then Trump took credit for the National Guard being called in which he did not do.

That’s spinning in my book.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Trump inferred that it was the owner of the building’s business and it was not. In fact the business owner had clearly said he would not be interviewed. Then Trump took credit for the National Guard being called in which he did not do.

Trump definitely spins. Please show me a politician that doesn’t and I might finally like a politician.
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 09-02-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post

yeah, but if people believe what you say, the truth is irrelevant.

Trump definitely spins. Please show me a politician that doesn’t and I might finally like a politician.
    spinning and out and out lying are two different things.

I may get rebuked by the powers that be - but have to say it

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Is that what’s happening? The only article I’ve seen on it is the ABC one linked above and that is pretty neutral and describes the respective positions of all involved.
    I think the ABC article is slanted. I originally thought the OP (my apologies, Furniture!) only quoted one side of the story. The truth is they quoted the entire introduction. Many only read headlines and story introductions and will probably never read the rest of the article where it finally states the person owns the property. Many will think he is merely the former business owner and he suffered no loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post

There is documented proof that Trump lies like a rug. The Washington Post among others keeps a running list. Apparently he hit #20,000 this summer. His very loose relationship with the truth is why a lot of Republicans struggle to support him - they might generally agree with his policies but have issues with his character. I find it amazing how people tie themselves in knots trying to deny that he lies.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...leading-claims

Based only on my reading of the article posted here, I think this is more of a misstatement than a lie. The person involved does not own the business, and should not have been identified as such. But as the owner of the building he does likely have a vested interest in the situation, so it is not like Trump just picked a random bystander off the street.

Politicians tell lies? Hmmm, maybe that’s why I don’t like them.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Based only on my reading of the article posted here, I think this is more of a misstatement than a lie. The person involved does not own the business, and should not have been identified as such. But as the owner of the building he does likely have a vested interest in the situation, so it is not like Trump just picked a random bystander off the street.
    I completely agree. IIRC, the person’s name is also still the business name which leaves more room for true misinterpretation.

Politicians tell lies? Hmmm, maybe that’s why I don’t like them.
    But Trump takes it to unparallelled (but docuented) lengths.

In a perhaps futile attempt to not to be dinged - I will just say - look at the Wapo's fact checking

Yes, and you will be appropriately punished for your insolence, my friend. And I’m neither spinning nor lying.

You’ve got a fun moniker, though. That might shield your words from deletion. I don’t see how someone can come down too hard on Tappan Zee Devil.

Yes, and you will be appropriately punished for your insolence, my friend. And I’m neither spinning nor lying.

You’ve got a fun moniker, though. That might shield your words from deletion. I don’t see how someone can come down too hard on Tappan Zee Devil.
    Yeah - we'll see.
    But I do live on the Tappan Zee, which is not just a bridge, but a very wide portion of the Hudson River that the bridge crosses.
    Last edited by Tappan Zee Devil; 09-02-2020 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling - portions snd potions are very different things

Yeah - we'll see.
    But I do live on the Tappan Zee, which is not just a bridge, but a very wide portion of the Hudson River that the bridge crosses.
    Oh no, you’ve removed the mystery for me.

Oh no, you’ve removed the mystery for me.
    No, I am not troll living under the bridge.

Yeah - we'll see.

No, I am not troll living under the bridge.
    If you want to troll TZD, just call him “GovernorMarioM.CuomoDevil.”

Oh, and that fact that we have to tiptoe around Trump being an absurd liar as a contested or even debatable fact is extremely frustrating. I have trouble believing this is not objective fact accepted by all sentient beings but apparently that’s the world we live in these days.

If I were someone whose family member had died of COVID or was one of the many who are newly unemployed or was figuring out how to remotely school my kids while going to do my job or was counting on Trump to fulfill his campaign promises of getting rid of Obamacare, building a wall or showing his taxes, I would be a little annoyed that Trump is focused on telling people to vote twice to test the system.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ioG?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If I were someone whose family member had died of COVID or was one of the many who are newly unemployed or was figuring out how to remotely school my kids while going to do my job or was counting on Trump to fulfill his campaign promises of getting rid of Obamacare, building a wall or showing his taxes, I would be a little annoyed that Trump is focused on telling people to vote twice to test the system.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ioG?li=BBnb7Kz
    Just to double down on this...
    In an interview with WECT-TV during a stop in Wilmington, North Carolina, the President was asked about the big increase in absentee-by-mail ballot request in the Tar Heel State, which dramatically favor Democrats over the GOP.
    In his answer, the President quickly suggested that people should both cast a ballot by mail, and then vote again at the polls.

“Well, they’ll go out and they’ll vote, and they’re going to have to go and check their vote by going to the poll and voting that way, because if it tabulates then they won’t be able to do that. So, let them send it in, and let them go vote, and if their system is as good as they say it is, then obviously they won’t be able to vote. If it isn’t tabulated, they’ll be able to vote. So, that’s the way it is. But send in your ballots, send them in strong, whether it’s solicited or unsolicited, the absentees are fine - we have to work to get them - you know, it means something. And you send them in - but you go to vote - and if they haven’t counted it, you can vote. So, that’s the way I view it.”

Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc