Page 54 of 264 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 5274
  1. #1061
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    in front of a theater packed with ardent Democrats, I think this would flop spectacularly. The Soy Bomb of debate moments.

    If he is serious about going in and arguing the merits of certain positions though, great. There is nothing wrong with arguing against orthodoxy (and in fact it is healthy to test it periodically). Some would suggest that Bill Weld is trying to do exactly that on the Republican side, if there actually end up being any debates (which I doubt). Alternatively, if he is doing it to be a disruptive force, well -- we need a whole lot less of that across the board IMO and I would not be in favor. Must admit I don't really know anything about the guy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ami_Horowitz

    Me neither. His Wikipedia article is short, but seems to paint a solid picture.

    That said, just because the audience would be against him doesn't mean it wouldn't be highly disruptive (in fact, an angry/booing audience could be the worst outcome). I'm envisioning them having to either turn off his mic or remove him from the stage, both of which would be disasters for public perception.

    An excerpt:

    ISIS flag at UC Berkeley
    Horowitz acted as "an ISIS supporter" while shouting terrorist rants and waving an ISIS flag inside UC Berkeley.[14] Most of the students ignored his "terrorist rants", but a "few gave him a thumbs-up, wished him luck and smiled".[15] Horowitz later switched to a "Zionist tirade" and began waving an Israeli flag, leading some students to express their outrage toward Israel, cursing and giving Horowitz obscene gestures.[14] It is unclear how long the videos took to create or how they were edited, but the video shows that Horowitz wears different clothes between the two parts of the video.[14] Horowitz wrote for Fox News that his film "unfortunately proves once and for all that there is in fact no connection between intellect and wisdom... If these are our best and brightest then we should all be afraid, very afraid."[16]

  2. #1062
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ami_Horowitz

    Me neither. His Wikipedia article is short, but seems to paint a solid picture.

    That said, just because the audience would be against him doesn't mean it wouldn't be highly disruptive (in fact, an angry/booing audience could be the worst outcome). I'm envisioning them having to either turn off his mic or remove him from the stage, both of which would be disasters for public perception.

    An excerpt:
    Re excerpt:

    He says he was among the "best and brightest". Shows how stupid he is. He was at UC Berkeley, not Duke.

  3. #1063
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    I wonder if he is a registered Republican; that would seem a fairly easy reason to disqualify him. Although not sure if Bernie is a registered Democrat -- I thought he switched back to independent after 2016. (?)
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  4. #1064
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I wonder if he is a registered Republican; that would seem a fairly easy reason to disqualify him. Although not sure if Bernie is a registered Democrat -- I thought he switched back to independent after 2016. (?)

    Not sure if Bill Weld is a Republican these days either, after running on the Libertarian ticket.
    Would it be totally out of bounds to allow third parties/independents but not registered Republicans? That seems perfectly reasonable to me, but maybe someone would be outraged by it.

  5. #1065
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Would it be totally out of bounds to allow third parties/independents but not registered Republicans? That seems perfectly reasonable to me, but maybe someone would be outraged by it.
    I would find it hard to argue that any non-Democrat should be able to run for the party's nomination if I was a member of the DNC. Not sure how Bernie self-identifies these days but it would be odd to let him run for the party's nomination if he is a member of a different party. Same for Bill Weld (although I checked since posting and think he is a registered Republican)

    But no one asks me, so . . . .
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  6. #1066
    "You must spread some Comments around before commenting on dudog84 again."

    dangit!

  7. #1067
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ^^ my guess is that it is a party rule, and that it is a largely symbolic jab at the Koch Brothers. I donít know for sure though. It is oddly narrow and specific.
    The fossil fuel rule seems to be per individual candidate, not party, as others but not all have adopted it:

    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...r-small-donors

    Not sure about the age 18 thing.

  8. #1068
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    "You must spread some Comments around before commenting on dudog84 again."

    dangit!
    I got you covered.

  9. #1069
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    "You must spread some Comments around before commenting on dudog84 again."

    dangit!
    Your kind thoughts are more than enough reward.

  10. #1070
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I wonder if he is a registered Republican; that would seem a fairly easy reason to disqualify him. Although not sure if Bernie is a registered Democrat -- I thought he switched back to independent after 2016. (?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Would it be totally out of bounds to allow third parties/independents but not registered Republicans? That seems perfectly reasonable to me, but maybe someone would be outraged by it.
    Anyway, the DNC has tried to limit the primaries to only Democrats. Here's the story on Bernie sanders:

    Vermont independent Sen. Bernie Sanders has signed a loyalty pledge, promising to run and govern as a Democrat if he wins the presidency in 2020, a new requirement for candidates that largely grew out of his own 2016 campaign.

    The pledge Sanders signed was given to all active Democratic presidential campaigns last week. It affirms to the DNC chairman that they "are a Democrat ... are a member of the Democratic Party; will accept the Democratic nomination; and will run and serve as a member of the Democratic Party."
    Not clear it has teeth, but it has been effective this election season.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  11. #1071
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Anyway, the DNC has tried to limit the primaries to only Democrats. Here's the story on Bernie sanders:



    Not clear it has teeth, but it has been effective this election season.
    Thanks, Sage.

    FWIW Bernie recsntly registered to run for Senate in 2024 as an independent despite previously registering as a Democrat to run for this Presidential election cycle:

    https://www.npr.org/2019/03/04/70012...an-independent

    The article amplifies on the quote you had as well.

    So, um, huh?
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  12. #1072
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thanks, Sage.

    FWIW Bernie recsntly registered to run for Senate in 2024 as an independent despite previously registering as a Democrat to run for this Presidential election cycle:

    https://www.npr.org/2019/03/04/70012...an-independent

    The article amplifies on the quote you had as well.

    So, um, huh?
    My question is whether this will hurt him in the primaries. It certainly affects my view of him. But then again I'm not a socialist (though I sometimes wonder what I am nowadays).

    My sense though is that it doesn't matter to his ardent followers, but I would put those "ardent" people as about 10% of D primary voters...and in 2020, unlike 2016, those people will vote against Trump when it comes down to it. They won't sit this one out.

  13. #1073
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Lots of interesting polling info amongst Iowa Democrats likely to caucus:

    https://iowastartingline.com/2019/05...d-in-iowa-tie/


    (I assume everyone knows the list of salt grains needed for single polling data points this far out, so to save time I will not restate them going forward if that is okay. Yes, it's just one poll. Yes, it's early. Yes, caucuses work differently. Yes, it is ultimately the Electoral College that matters. Etc. etc. etc.) I will note that Nate only rates this polling source as a C+ though.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  14. #1074
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Lots of interesting polling info amongst Iowa Democrats likely to caucus:

    https://iowastartingline.com/2019/05...d-in-iowa-tie/


    (I assume everyone knows the list of salt grains needed for single polling data points this far out, so to save time I will not restate them going forward if that is okay. Yes, it's just one poll. Yes, it's early. Yes, caucuses work differently. Yes, it is ultimately the Electoral College that matters. Etc. etc. etc.) I will note that Nate only rates this polling source as a C+ though.
    Caucuses? Let me tell (retell) my experience in 2008 in the Democratic caucus. It was -3 and snowing here in the Rocky Mountains. Probably about 60-70 people showed up in a county with a population of 25,000. A bunch of regulars and some young people -- a few wearing "O" buttons, which I had never seen. Ms. Sage spoke on behalf of H. and did very well. The speaker on behalf of O. had come up from Denver, he made no sense whatsoever -- I mean, seriously -- and was gonged off the stage by the county chairman. Then we did the vote. The O. people won two-thirds of the vote and also won the state.

    A caucus is a strange beast.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  15. #1075
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Caucuses? Let me tell (retell) my experience in 2008 in the Democratic caucus. It was -3 and snowing here in the Rocky Mountains. Probably about 60-70 people showed up in a county with a population of 25,000. A bunch of regulars and some young people -- a few wearing "O" buttons, which I had never seen. Ms. Sage spoke on behalf of H. and did very well. The speaker on behalf of O. had come up from Denver, he made no sense whatsoever -- I mean, seriously -- and was gonged off the stage by the county chairman. Then we did the vote. The O. people won two-thirds of the vote and also won the state.

    A caucus is a strange beast.
    Did anyone sacrifice a farm animal as part of the ritual?

  16. #1076
    I guess he showed Mrs Sage his O face.

  17. #1077
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I guess he showed Mrs Sage his O face.
    No stapler for you.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  18. #1078
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    New Quinnipiac poll. Lots of good stuff here, but this grabbed my attention:

    President Trump begins his reelection campaign in a deep hole as 54 percent of American voters say they "definitely" will not vote for him, compared to 52 percent in an April 30 Quinnipiac University National Poll. Today, 31 percent say they "definitely" will vote for Trump and 12 percent say they will "consider voting for him."
    All info: https://poll.qu.edu/national/release...ReleaseID=2622

    Also of note, although the cake on the Dem side is not as well baked:

    With a 49 - 39 percent favorability rating, former Vice President Joseph Biden is the only presidential contender, Democrat or Republican, with a clear positive score. Favorability ratings for other Democrats are negative or mixed:
    41 - 48 percent for Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont;
    32 - 41 percent for Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts;
    27 percent favorable for Sen. Kamala Harris of California, with 30 percent unfavorable;
    20 - 32 percent for former U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke of Texas;
    23 - 31 percent for Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey;
    23 percent favorable for South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, to 19 percent unfavorable;
    8 - 45 percent for New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  19. #1079
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    New Quinnipiac poll. Lots of good stuff here, but this grabbed my attention:



    All info: https://poll.qu.edu/national/release...ReleaseID=2622

    Also of note, although the cake on the Dem side is not as well baked:
    Mayor Bill is frequently accused of being tone deaf and oblivious and his decision to enter the race despite these awful poll numbers seems to further reinforce this opinion.

  20. #1080
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Mayor Bill is frequently accused of being tone deaf and oblivious and his decision to enter the race despite these awful poll numbers seems to further reinforce this opinion.
    Mayor who?

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Presidential Race
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 16487
    Last Post: 11-15-2016, 11:52 PM
  2. Presidential Inauguration
    By such in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •