Page 390 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392400440490890 ... LastLast
Results 7,781 to 7,800 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I would add that I could see an argument for his campaign asking for equal time since the President’s press conferences are viewed by many to be glorified campaign rallies. The problem is, he can’t since he technically isn’t the nominee or the presumptive nominee since Bernie hasn’t conceded.
    I think the best thing that Biden could do right now is lay low. Put out some youtube content that is nothing more than, "Working together we'll get through this. Here is why what we are doing is important". Just cheerleader stuff. Nothing hostile toward Trump, but trying to pull the nation together toward defeating COVID-19.

Let Trump get out there in his press conferences and twitter and show America his leadership style.

That's it. There doesn't have to be anything complicated or partisan.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I agree that no one is paying attention to either one of them. Bernie has it in his power to change that.
    I'm not sure I see it. If Biden wanted to be making impressions during this crisis he could certainly do so whether Bernie had dropped out or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm not sure I see it. If Biden wanted to be making impressions during this crisis he could certainly do so whether Bernie had dropped out or not.
    He's putting out a ton of content. But it's not breaking through in the media, in part because the media will not bestow on him the mantle of Presumptive Nominee. And that's because ...

He's putting out a ton of content. But it's not breaking through in the media, in part because the media will not bestow on him the mantle of Presumptive Nominee. And that's because ...
    I don't think that is why at all (the suggestion that the media has an anti-Biden bias is...interesting, and just about everyone I've seen report on it is pretty clear that Sanders has no path forward and Biden will end up being the nominee). What Biden is saying just isn't interesting enough to make it into the news cycle, it's as simple as that.

I’m not sure how much that matters. There is only one president, and that is who people are going to pay attention to in a crisis.

Biden must be reading this thread, they've announced a CNN town hall for tonight about the coronavirus. This apparently was set up yesterday.

Biden's lack of TV time is by choice, not because the networks do not want him on. He can get on any news show, any night, any network, if he picks up the phone and says he wants to do it. He's been laying low for his own reasons, and I guess he sees the same thing we do -- Trump's poll numbers are increasing in the vacuum and Bernie's not going to go anywhere any time soon. So he better get back out there.

(Normally would say that Friday night isn't a choice time to do it, but -- it's not like most folks will be going out tonight!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I grew up in Durham and have a whole bunch of relatives from West Virginia. I have lived the Boston area for half my life now. If I had a dime for every time I heard a Southerner or West Virginian say something scornful or mocking of a "Yankee" . . . I'd have quite few dimes. Do Bostonians say scornful or mocking things about southerners/midwesterners? Sure. Heck, they say scornful or mocking things about New Yorkers too. Boston calls itself "The Hub". I mean, really.

So, my point, in my experience, residents of every region tend to say scornful or mocking things about people in other regions.

Also, in my experience, rural folks have bigger chips on their shoulders. They believe they are looked down on more than they actually are. My small town West Virginia relatives who have never lived anywhere else are the ones who get outside of their "bubbles" the least.
    I generally agree with this post and with the notion that the habit of scorning those from other regions is an unfortunate aspect of human nature and not endemic to one region or another. I simply disagree with the proposition upthread (not from you) that New Yorkers aren't guilty of it.

We didn't read the stories that said "Send in the Rebels and send out the clowns."
    And we didn't lose by 30.

Quote Originally Posted by 79-77 View Post
    I generally agree with this post and with the notion that the habit of scorning those from other regions is an unfortunate aspect of human nature and not endemic to one region or another. I simply disagree with the proposition upthread (not from you) that New Yorkers aren't guilty of it.
    This problem is made worse because, in every region and locality, it's the LOUDEST one percent who say the most obnoxious things. There are a lot of good and pleasant people in this country...
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Very true sage.

The main point I was lamenting was that those opinions in this instance were affecting the provision of aid to certain regions in the time of a disaster, which is unfortunately reminiscent of Hurricane Sandy.

I read a story in my snooze feed this morning about a woman who is bringing serious sexual harassment charges against Biden. Not of the "he sniffed my hair" or "he touched my shoulders" variety.

Am I the only one who saw it?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Trump's approval rating trending up and hitting term highs. Biden no where to be seen as best I can tell.
    Trump got his first net positive (48/46) approval rating in a ABC/WaPo poll. Most Americans also approve of his handling of the crisis. However, ~60% believe he acted too slow. That number could be trouble the longer/worse this gets but for now he's enjoying some bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I read a story in my snooze feed this morning about a woman who is bringing serious sexual harassment charges against Biden. Not of the "he sniffed my hair" or "he touched my shoulders" variety.

Am I the only one who saw it?
    I've seen it. It's been mostly covered by either Bernie-friendly or right-wing sites so far, although Vox.com, which I consider to be mainstream Dem, has an article up now: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/27/211959...ult-allegation

Eventually I would think the major networks and papers will get on it.

However, I don't believe it will swing the primary back to Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I've seen it. It's been mostly covered by either Bernie-friendly or right-wing sites so far, although Vox.com, which I consider to be mainstream Dem, has an article up now: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/27/211959...ult-allegation

Eventually I would think the major networks and papers will get on it.

However, I don't believe it will swing the primary back to Bernie.
    I hadn’t seen it, but it is apparently from a women who last year was among those accusing Biden of the “creepy Joe” charges in the past, but has now upped the ante. Feels a bit fishy.

But, we have entered a world where those sorts of allegations don’t seem to move the dial in recent years.

Certainly hope it isn’t true (from the “sexual assault is awful” perspective), but even a false accusation would be bad for the world in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I hadn’t seen it, but it is apparently from a women who last year was among those accusing Biden of the “creepy Joe” charges in the past, but has now upped the ante. Feels a bit fishy.

But, we have entered a world where those sorts of allegations don’t seem to move the dial in recent years.

Certainly hope it isn’t true (from the “sexual assault is awful” perspective), but even a false accusation would be bad for the world in many ways.
    Perhaps, but it should be noted that back when it allegedly occurred in 1993, she told three people about it. Excerpt:

At the time, she told her mother, brother, and a friend who worked in Sen. Ted Kennedy’s office about the incident. Her mother has since passed away, but both her friend and brother told The Intercept they recalled hearing about it from her at the time. Reade’s friend, who asked to remain anonymous so as not to be part of the public blowback, said she discouraged Reade from coming forward at all, concerned that she would be attacked and would never get the apology she was hoping for. Reade and her brother, Collin Moulton, both said that their mother urged her to call the police, but her brother urged her to move on instead. “Woefully, I did not encourage her to follow up,” he said. “I wasn’t one of her better advocates. I said let it go, move on, guys are idiots.” (Moulton, who lives in Georgia, said he voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 and has no intention to vote for either Biden or Donald Trump.)

The experience in Biden’s office derailed her life, Reade’s friend said. “Back then people assumed girls just get over it,” she said. “But no, it plants a seed and lives can spin out of control. Yes, everybody’s an adult, but guess what, so is he.” At the time, there was just no way that Reade’s effort to right the wrong could succeed, her friend said, but this time, she’s determined to be heard. “It was the ‘90s,” she said. “There was no Me Too. There was no Time’s Up.”

For context, if it's true that back in 1993 she named Biden as her rapist to three people and they confirm that she did, that's actually a much more credible accusation than when [Tmak was just zapped by moderators ;-) -- just kidding, I'm voluntarily holding back from making this more controversial, but I think most can guess whom I'm referring to].

Again, though, the markets have not moved at all on Biden winning the nomination. And I agree with that. This is not a needle-mover (perhaps sadly).

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    For context, if it's true that back in 1993 she named Biden as her rapist to three people and they confirm that she did, that's actually a much more credible accusation than when [Tmak was just zapped by moderators ;-) -- just kidding, I'm voluntarily holding back from making this more controversial, but I think most can guess whom I'm referring to].

Again, though, the markets have not moved at all on Biden winning the nomination. And I agree with that. This is not a needle-mover (perhaps sadly).
    To be clear, if the allegations are true, they SHOULD move the needle. It just feels fishy.

I don’t know whether to hope they are not true but be stuck expecting this to happen with every candidate moving forward, or hope they are true but then be saddened that another sexual assault occurred.

To be clear, if the allegations are true, they SHOULD move the needle. It just feels fishy.

I don’t know whether to hope they are not true but be stuck expecting this to happen with every candidate moving forward, or hope they are true but then be saddened that another sexual assault occurred.
    Interesting. Have these allegations surfaced before in his presidential runs? I do think that if these are credible they could hurt Biden more than Trump’s history of remarks and alleged sexual assaults hurt him. I expect this woman has already been contacted by Trumps campaign to see if she is willing to appear in an ad, attend a debate, etc.

I’ll leave my comments there...anything beyond the impact on the race and we’ll quickly get in heated territory.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Interesting. Have these allegations surfaced before in his presidential runs? I do think that if these are credible they could hurt Biden more than Trump’s history of remarks and alleged sexual assaults hurt him. I expect this woman has already been contacted by Trumps campaign to see if she is willing to appear in an ad, attend a debate, etc.

I’ll leave my comments there...anything beyond the impact on the race and we’ll quickly get in heated territory.
    The light version (including a claim from this woman) appeared last year. But they were of the “he gives a little too friendly contact” variety. This is the first full-on sexual assault claim.

The light version (including a claim from this woman) appeared last year. But they were of the “he gives a little too friendly contact” variety. This is the first full-on sexual assault claim.
    I don't think anyone is paying attention.