Page 335 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337345385435835 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,700 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Maybe another reason to avoid the debate is not having to address this subject.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ge%2Fstory-ans

That was a wow story for me. If it’s Trump vs Bloomberg how many women stay away in protest?
    Yeah, Bloomberg has A LOT of vetting that will happen now that he's national. Regarding women, we already know how many are/were willing to vote for Trump despite his remarks, ~20 allegations of sexual misconduct, assault and rape, and lawsuits regarding the same. All of that was out in the open before his election and he ended up winning ~39% of all women who voted ---- so, based on Pew's breakdown, ~28M in total voted for Trump, including a slight plurality of white women. The administration may have pushed some women away with their actual policies and the Kavanaugh nomination but they may have gained some. Point is, women know who Trump is.

The bigger question mark is if Bloomberg becomes the nominee. It's not right to say things like the Women's March and MeToo movement are liberal/Democratic movements but they do have a more natural home in the Democratic party considering it's policy platform. So, I think you could see much more of a negative impact for women who would otherwise vote Democrat who can't believe given the movements of the last 3-4 years the Dems would nominate a guy like Bloomberg. To my knowledge, Bloomberg has not been accused of assault and rape as Trump has, just sexism and inappropriate workplace comments. Still...not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Bloomberg considering ______ as his VP running mate? Color me shocked if this is even remotely true!

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpun...p-says-drudge/
    Hmmmm, it's an interesting thought experiment at this point. Would her selection be a net-positive or net-negative? In an election that will already be turned up to 11, Hillary's selection would, dare I say it, bump it up to 12.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hmmmm, it's an interesting thought experiment at this point. Would her selection be a net-positive or net-negative? In an election that will already be turned up to 11, Hillary's selection would, dare I say it, bump it up to 12.
    I think even putting this out there will backfire for Bloomberg. The last few posts considering whether or not the allegations against Bloomberg will be a factor, and this whiff of Hillary might be a serious kick in the ribs. Neither of those issues are reflective of the "safe" candidate I understand him attempting to portray.

I really hope Bloomberg makes the Nevada debate this week. He has thus far risen in the polls by buying a ton of commercials and really has not been vetted by the campaign trail much at all. I suspect the rest of the field is eager to get him on stage where they can challenge him a bit.

I mean, if I am Klobuchar, Biden, or Buttigieg, I'm definitely taking a moment to ask anyone who has been a lifelong member of the Democratic party to raise their hand... and then tell Bernie and Bloomberg to keep their hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I think even putting this out there will backfire for Bloomberg.
    What makes you think Bloomberg floated the notion of Hillary for VP? Feels like a right-wing fever swamp rumor more than something actually being considered.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

What makes you think Bloomberg floated the notion of Hillary for VP? Feels like a right-wing fever swamp rumor more than something actually being considered.
    Touché. I know some folks are playing checkers and others are playing chess. I'm playing tic tac toe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Touché. I know some folks are playing checkers and others are playing chess. I'm playing tic tac toe.
    I don’t know how seriously but I would be shocked if a couple of the campaigns hadn’t discussed HRC as a choice. They’ll typically start with a decent sized universe of options and then vet from there.

This may have been a conservative media ploy but even if so they’re probably right.

Mock Convention, W&L

Washington and Lee University has been holding presidential a mock convention for the national party out of power since 1908. They have correctly picked the nominee 20 out of 26 times, 77%.

My wife and I attended the convention in 2016 when our son was a student at W&L. It was a blast. That year the convention correctly predicted Trump would be nominated, In February.

This year the winner is... https://www.mockconvention.com/bernie-sanders

I really hope Bloomberg makes the Nevada debate this week. He has thus far risen in the polls by buying a ton of commercials and really has not been vetted by the campaign trail much at all. I suspect the rest of the field is eager to get him on stage where they can challenge him a bit.

I mean, if I am Klobuchar, Biden, or Buttigieg, I'm definitely taking a moment to ask anyone who has been a lifelong member of the Democratic party to raise their hand... and then tell Bernie and Bloomberg to keep their hands down.

Yeah nothing fires up the right like HRC. I know otherwise reasonable people who believe the Clintons are ninja mafia killers who can off their enemies or anyone who crosses them at the drop of a hat without leaving a trace. The clumsy ham-handed first 2-years of Bill’s first term doesn’t even dissuade them of that notion. I’m sure Dick Morris has at least one more book in him if given the opportunity.

Yahoo / YouGov poll shows that Bernie would beat every other D candidate in a 1-on-1 battle:

Now, I do suspect that name recognition is playing a big role here in these numbers. I'm not quite sure I really believe them (and generally early head-to-head polling can be unreliable).

That said, let's introduce the possibility that the D establishment does *not* want the field to consolidate. If denying Bernie the nomination is a must, it could be better to keep everyone in the race all the way to the convention and take it from him there.

Liberally-slanted media not painting a pretty picture of Bloomberg. Not a huge surprise but notable.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b64d860fca8669

538's model continues to inch more and more toward "no one" winning a majority of delegates.

That said, if Bernie (or someone else) is above 45%, it is gonna be really hard to justify giving it to someone else, especially if the 45% person is handily winning primaries late in the calendar.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

538's model continues to inch more and more toward "no one" winning a majority of delegates.
    That is bad news for Sanders according to this article:

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...s/202002160021

Not surprising commentary seeing as DBR posters have been discussing the same outcome from a second ballot at the convention.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If Bernie has the majority of delegates, but not the actual numbers, they Democrats should go ahead and make him their man. Get behind him 137%. And then if Trump beats him in the general, they can solace their sorrows in the fact that no far left wing Democrat will ever get a sniff of the nomination ever again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If Bernie has the majority of delegates, but not the actual numbers, they Democrats should go ahead and make him their man.
    Huh? If he has the majority he will be the nominee... end of story.

Are you saying that if he has a plurality they should get behind him? That's nonsense. There are many different circumstances and scenarios behind a plurality candidate that none of us can say what the proper course of action would be in that case. I can design multiple scenarios where even a 40% plurality candidate probably does not deserve the nomination. Heck, I think there are scenarios where even a 45% plurality candidate might not be the proper choice.

And then if Trump beats him in the general, they can solace their sorrows in the fact that no far left wing Democrat will ever get a sniff of the nomination ever again.
    As has been stated on numerous occasions, the single larges issue for the vast majority of Democrats is beating Trump (much like how the GOP felt about Hillary 4 years ago). There is no silver lining to the Trump victory for Democrats.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Huh? If he has the majority he will be the nominee... end of story.
    Are you saying that if he has a plurality they should get behind him? That's nonsense.
    I didn't state that quite right about the delegates, but I am assuming that most people know what I meant. Not really a need to be snarky about it.
    And it was my opinion. Which I don't consider to be nonsense. If I did, I wouldn't post it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I didn't state that quite right about the delegates, but I am assuming that most people know what I meant. Not really a need to be snarky about it.
    And it was my opinion. Which I don't consider to be nonsense. If I did, I wouldn't post it.
    I’m with you. If Bernie goes in with the most and doesn’t walk out with the nomination, it’s game over. It’s anecdotal but I know a ton of people who are Bernie or couch. These people think Bernie has already been screwed once. A second time? Forget about it...

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I’m with you. If Bernie goes in with the most and doesn’t walk out with the nomination, it’s game over. It’s anecdotal but I know a ton of people who are Bernie or couch. These people think Bernie has already been screwed once. A second time? Forget about it...
    If I were a betting man, my money would be placed on this scenario as well. Bernie’s supporters will not be happy, to put it kindly, and their wrath will be felt.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    If I were a betting man, my money would be placed on this scenario as well. Bernie’s supporters will not be happy, to put it kindly, and their wrath will be felt.
    The way it's going now, Bernie is getting less than 30 percent of the vote -- with Elizabeth Warren getting some votes -- but most of the rest being split among the moderate candidates -- Biden, Buttigieg, and Klobuchar. I don't think 30 percent is a path to victory, and there will be some candidates dropping out. Of course, I could be wrong.

I think LasVegas and SouthernDukie are mis-underestimating the intensity of the anti-Trump sentiment among the Dems. And, of course, I could be wrong about that as well.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The way it's going now, Bernie is getting less than 30 percent of the vote -- with Elizabeth Warren getting some votes -- but most of the rest being split among the moderate candidates -- Biden, Buttigieg, and Klobuchar. I don't think 30 percent is a path to victory, and there will be some candidates dropping out. Of course, I could be wrong.
    If the Ds want to do a 1-on-1 runoff between the final two candidates, I'm sure Bernie and his campaign would be down for that. Certainly there's head-to-head polling (which I posted a few posts upthread) that shows Bernie beating all of the other D candidates head-to-head (for whatever that's worth). But should Bernie lose the 1-on-1 battle, that's a result that he and his voters can accept.

If a bunch of candidates stay in the race to the end, splitting the field, to prevent Bernie from getting to 50%, and then the Ds give the nomination to someone else at the convention despite his plurality, that would be the result that Bernie's voters would find unacceptable, imo.

I think LasVegas and SouthernDukie are mis-underestimating the intensity of the anti-Trump sentiment among the Dems. And, of course, I could be wrong about that as well.
    All our many speculations are just that without pie/beer bets :-)

If Bernie has a plurality and is not the nominee, I invite any and all of you to come at me with pie/beer bets about whether the D nominee can beat Trump.

Problem is, some chunk of The Bernie Bros. are not historical Democrats. As Bernie rightfully boasts, many of them are new voters that are drawn to Bernie. It’s not a given that they will vote Democrat, or vote at all, if Bernie is the candidate.

Per at least one recent poll, only 53% of Bernie’s supporters say that they will #VoteBlueNoMatterWho. 16% flat out said “no.”

https://www.newsweek.com/andrew-yang...c-poll-1485241