Page 251 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 1512012412492502512522532613013517511251 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,020 of 26103

'Pro Bono' Help -- You Get What You Pay For?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yup...Rudy grew up in NY where "jokes" like this could have major ramifications. I would suggest Rudy meant exactly what he was saying...
    Trump hired Paul Manafort to be his campaign director, in part, because Manafort agreed to work for nothing (and he also owned a unit in Trump Tower). We see how that turned out and how Manafort maintained ties with Russian and the then leaders of Ukraine, somewhat at variance to his obligations to Trump. Same with Rudy, who has described his work as "pro bono." Well, we see now he has been cultivating clients in Ukraine and perhaps elsewhere whose objectives are at odds with El Presidente.

Maybe, you just get what you pay for? Or maybe even less.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I will say, “Don Trump Jr. could walk down 5th avenue and shoot someone in the face and I think it would be utterly irrelevant to the Presidential thread unless there was some indication Donald Trump knew about it in advance or tried to cover it up.”

You’re certainly not consistent, since that’s exactly what you recently told me about Hunter Biden.
    Well, I would say there is a difference in a family member of a politician who has inserted themselves into the public eye and taken on an active role in politics versus one who has done the opposite their whole life. If, for example, someone were to start making lots of posts about Tiffany or Baron Trump that would be considerably more problematic than posts about Don Jr (who is practically a regular on Fox News and who travels the country stumping for his father).

But, the bottom line is that I am often forced to play Justice Potter Stewart in this thread. Folks ask for guidance all the time and I do my best but on many borderline posts/topics there simply is no hard and fast rule to tell you. As I often say, anyone who thinks they are coming close to the line should feel free to PM me with their post and I can let them know if it will be problematic.

-Jason "sorry if moderation of this thread is imperfect -- but I fear the alternative is a thread that is much less inclusive and fun or no thread at all" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "sorry if moderation of this thread is imperfect -- but I fear the alternative is a thread that is much less inclusive and fun or no thread at all" Evans
    You’re the only reason this thread exists and I’m confident you’re doing the best you can moderating this very difficult terrain. Like any player, I’m not going to agree with every call.

Thanks for all you’re doing for us, Jason, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, here's something that will give Biden's primary campaign a boost: Clarence Thomas is against him. No big surprise there, the only surprise is hearing anything from the usually mute Thomas.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ju...SAa?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, I would say there is a difference in a family member of a politician who has inserted themselves into the public eye and taken on an active role in politics versus one who has done the opposite their whole life. If, for example, someone were to start making lots of posts about Tiffany or Baron Trump that would be considerably more problematic than posts about Don Jr (who is practically a regular on Fox News and who travels the country stumping for his father).

But, the bottom line is that I am often forced to play Justice Potter Stewart in this thread. Folks ask for guidance all the time and I do my best but on many borderline posts/topics there simply is no hard and fast rule to tell you. As I often say, anyone who thinks they are coming close to the line should feel free to PM me with their post and I can let them know if it will be problematic.

If you think you are coming close to the line you are probably over it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Harris' campaign is falling apart from the inside out.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kamala-ha...165844171.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Harris' campaign is falling apart from the inside out.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kamala-ha...165844171.html
    Kamala and Corey both have been remarkably uninspiring considering they entered as top tier candidates.

Has a major party candidate ever named a running mate during the primaries? Mike could use a boost with African Americans. Corey would be a great fit ideologically but Stacey Abrams could potentially add more in the southern primaries. For that matter, Clair McCaskill
    or Amy Klobuchar would be a good campaign partner in the rust belt. An old white man like Bloomberg needs to diversify the ticket ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Kamala and Corey both have been remarkably uninspiring considering they entered as top tier candidates.

Has a major party candidate ever named a running mate during the primaries? Mike could use a boost with African Americans. Corey would be a great fit ideologically but Stacey Abrams could potentially add more in the southern primaries. For that matter, Clair McCaskill
    or Amy Klobuchar would be a good campaign partner in the rust belt. An old white man like Bloomberg needs to diversify the ticket ASAP.
    Stacey Abrams is a poor candidate with a lot of baggage IMO. I wish MSNBC would stop pushing her as a viable national candidate.

I really thought Kamala would be a force, baffled by her inability (so far) to bounce back from the Tulsi torpedo months ago.

In case anyone was wondering, it appears that Joe Sestak is now out of the race. Kudos to anyone who knew that he was previously in the race.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/01/u...gtype=Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    In case anyone was wondering, it appears that Joe Sestak is now out of the race. Kudos to anyone who knew that he was previously in the race.

I think I had him included as a part of Field choice.

Oh wait, that was the movies thread. Never mind.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm still in the race. Unfortunately thread rules prevent me from telling you which party

At first, I thought maybe I had heard of him. Wasn't he "The Thinking Man's Choice for the Heisman", according to Sports Illustrated, 1985?

Oh, that was Joe Dudek? Nevermind.

Close though, right?

Staff: “we need to find a way to make Joe more relatable to younger voters.”

Manager: “yes, we need a slogan or gimmick that speaks to the youth”

Staff: “it really is a matter of branding.”

Joe: “I got it! A bus labeled ‘No Malarkey!’”

Staff:

Manager:

Joe: “Great!”

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    At first, I thought maybe I had heard of him. Wasn't he "The Thinking Man's Choice for the Heisman", according to Sports Illustrated, 1985?

Oh, that was Joe Dudek? Nevermind.

Close though, right?
    Best SI cover ever: “What the heck. Why not Dudek?”

Steve Bullock is also out. Many thought he was a promising centrist candidate but he could never ramp things up. He is term limited as governor but says he will not run for Senate - flipping a Montana seat would go a long way towards helping the Dems win back the Senate.

So much for the headline I was looking forward to:

"Bullock BBQ's field to win Democrat Nomination"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/u...gtype=Homepage

Steve Bullock is also out. Many thought he was a promising centrist candidate but he could never ramp things up. He is term limited as governor but says he will not run for Senate - flipping a Montana seat would go a long way towards helping the Dems win back the Senate.

So much for the headline I was looking forward to:

"Bullock BBQ's field to win Democrat Nomination"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/u...gtype=Homepage
    Hah hah, nice headline. You know, if someone were to ask me to set aside party and list resume line items I wanted in a presidential candidate, both Bullock and Sestak tick a lot of boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hah hah, nice headline. You know, if someone were to ask me to set aside party and list resume line items I wanted in a presidential candidate, both Bullock and Sestak tick a lot of boxes.
    "Never Mind the Bullocks: Here's the Sestaks"

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "Never Mind the Bullocks: Here's the Sestaks"
    Wasn't he the half-human, half-lizard creature on "Land of the Lost"?

https://landofthelost.fandom.com/wiki/Sleestak
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Wasn't he the half-human, half-lizard creature on "Land of the Lost"?

https://landofthelost.fandom.com/wiki/Sleestak
    I thought of that too. Man, they scared the pie out of me when I was a kid.

Best SI cover ever: “What the heck. Why not Dudek?”
    Really?

grant-hill-of-the-blue-devils.jpg