Page 244 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 1441942342422432442452462542943447441244 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,880 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, Clinton had a string of surpluses that, if continues, were gonna pay off the entire national debt, causing economists some consternation because government debt helps with monetary policy.

Those continued after Clinton left -- so the answer is George W. Bush. It's kind of a trick question because under Bush 43 we had (a) tax cut, (b) the Iraq War, and (c) drug insurance -- none of which were paid for with additional government revenues.
    My guess is we are getting too far away from THIS election So let's steer it back to 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    My guess is we are getting too far away from THIS election So let's steer it back to 2020.
    Agreed, I didn’t get pulled in this time.

Here's some polling, just among the 18-29 set, on a variety of issues. The youngsters did turn out in 2018, they may be the story of 2020.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ds/4228474002/

so speaking of the younger voters (and I'm trying to not get into a policy discussion here, but...):
    Biden just announced that he's against the legalization of pot because he sees it as a gateway drug. IMO, he could do few things which would convince young voters even more that he's a fogey in his nineties rather than a guy in his seventies.
    At the very least I think his advisors should have counseled him to avoid that take on the issue...it doesn't need to be a major campaign issue, but most of Joe's opponents seem to be going with the national flow that legalization is expanding, and the sky is not falling. Just strikes me as a very odd pronouncement for a guy who wants and needs to appeal to younger voters more...

(different states doing different things on the issue right now seems like a reasonable status quo)...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Biden just announced that he's against the legalization of pot because he sees it as a gateway drug.
    What is that national polling on the issue? It could be that he is taking a position different than many of his Democratic competitors in order to appeal to the middle, if that position is the majority one.

Or, it could be that he actually believes it to be true. Not that politicians are guided by such things of course . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    What is that national polling on the issue? It could be that he is taking a position different than many of his Democratic competitors in order to appeal to the middle, if that position is the majority one.

Or, it could be that he actually believes it to be true. Not that politicians are guided by such things of course . . . .
    Could well be, OPK, I don't know the numbers; I just find it to be very counterproductive if he is trying to woo younger voters.

I suspect Joe's view is more popular in deep red states, so maybe that's the strategy...still seems like an unforced error to me. Will only add to the perception he's a geezer.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

IIRC, about 67% of Americans support legalization and the percentage consistently increases yearly. It was only about 16% in 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IIRC, about 67% of Americans support legalization and the percentage consistently increases yearly. It was only about 16% in 1989.
    and I have no doubt that with younger voters (Joe's problem area) the percentage is significantly higher.

and I have no doubt that with younger voters (Joe's problem area) the percentage is significantly higher.
    Strongly agree! IMO, the gateway comment really shows his very outdated ignorance. Solid position in 1989!

IA - 78% want more medical pot. Legalization is tied at 48-48.
    https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...al/2908557002/

NH: Support for recreational legislation is bipartisan: 61 percent of Democrats, 56 percent of Independents and 49 percent of Republicans support it.
    https://www.pressherald.com/2018/02/...na-poll-finds/

SC: 72% support medical marijuanna (84% among Democrats). The difference is that only 23% favor legalization for recreational use.
    https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...223819090.html

Could it be that Biden is not focusing any longer on IA and NH and is instead focusing on winning more conservative red states? That doesn't seem like a great choice because the Democratic primary has a formula that gives more delegates to states based on the last three Presidential elections, favoring states with higher % of Democratic votes.

^ that's the only "logic" I can think of, and it has, as you say, a lot of holes in it. Better to have said nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    IA - 78% want more medical pot. Legalization is tied at 48-48.
    https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...al/2908557002/

NH: Support for recreational legislation is bipartisan: 61 percent of Democrats, 56 percent of Independents and 49 percent of Republicans support it.
    https://www.pressherald.com/2018/02/...na-poll-finds/

SC: 72% support medical marijuanna (84% among Democrats). The difference is that only 23% favor legalization for recreational use.
    https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...223819090.html

Could it be that Biden is not focusing any longer on IA and NH and is instead focusing on winning more conservative red states? That doesn't seem like a great choice because the Democratic primary has a formula that gives more delegates to states based on the last three Presidential elections, favoring states with higher % of Democratic votes.
    In a situation like this, I default to Occam's Razor. A gaffe-prone candidate made an off-the-cuff remark without thinking.

Yup, big time. Gallup did a national poll on marijuana just a few weeks ago and the numbers show that Biden is strikingly out of touch with the vast majority of Americans, especially Americans under 50 (who generally are not Biden supporters).

And to say he is out of step with the rest of the Democratic party on this issue would be an understatement. If this statement gets much attention, it could be a real killer for Biden.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    I think when people talk about progressive, they are talking about an economic scheme that is slightly more in line with Liz Warren and so when you use the word progressive and tax cuts in the same breathe, it does not go to tax cuts for the wealthy or corporate tax cuts. In fact, the progressive are not really advocating cuts at all. As I understand it, the push is to raise taxes on certain segments of the economy and use that money to finance programs that will affirmatively aid the middle, lower and working classes.
    I think when people talk about fiscal conservatism, they mean reasonable discipline with regard to both spending levels and budgetary deficits. And that certainly doesn't describe the Trump Administration to date. Though I'm not sure that description fits anyone these days, at least at the Federal level.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I think when people talk about fiscal conservatism, they mean reasonable discipline with regard to both spending levels and budgetary deficits. And that certainly doesn't describe the Trump Administration to date.
    Exactly, the U.S.A. had a $984 billion deficit in 2019 and it will be substantially more than $1 trillion in 2020. Even adjusting for inflation, the U.S.A. has never experienced those levels of deficits during an economic expansion and no major war. And, this is occurring with historically low interest rates (debt payments).

IMO, Obama was more fiscally conservative than Trump. Obama had the very substantial costs to resolve The Great Recession. Trump was dealt a relatively easy hand.

on the pot demographics: pretty amazing that Boomers, ages 55-73 are pro pot by a wide 61-38 margin, yet Traditionalists, age 74+, are anti pot by a 56-40 margin...huge swing.
    But anyone in college when the Boomers were understands understands what was going on...quite a demarcation.

Pretty cool tool on the Wash Post website where you can see how you agree or disagree with the Democratic candidates on several key issues where there are disagreements within the party. If you are not at least somewhat liberal, then you likely won't see any choice you agree with on several of the questions but this is designed to help folks pick the Democratic candidate who most aligns with their views.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...grees-with-me/

Here are how my answers matched up with the Democratic contenders:
    Yang and I agree on 8 of the 10 questions
    Buttigieg, Harris, Biden, Booker, Klobuchar 6
    Warren 4
    Sanders 3

-Jason "I recognize that this is not expressly about the horse race and it reveals some individual partisan lean, but it is not argumentative and is an interesting exercise" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Two polls -- one from April, one from September -- show that the main issues on Dem primary voters are defeating Trump; healthcare; and the economy.

https://morningconsult.com/wp-conten...ce-4.23.19.pdf

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...talking-about/

As long as Joe is strong in those three areas, I doubt his views on pot will move the needle much.

I think those top three issues, coincidentally, are why Warren has hit a ceiling (for now) and Mayor Pete has moved up. Especially healthcare and the broad opposition to eliminating choice in Warren's M4A plan, which Pete hammered last debate and which (IMO) ignited his rise. Same was true for Klobuchar although she has not sparked the electorate's joy as much I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Pretty cool tool on the Wash Post website where you can see how you agree or disagree with the Democratic candidates on several key issues where there are disagreements within the party. If you are not at least somewhat liberal, then you likely won't see any choice you agree with on several of the questions but this is designed to help folks pick the Democratic candidate who most aligns with their views.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...grees-with-me/
    Biden 6
    Yang 5
    Klobuchar 4
    Buttigieg/Gabbard 3
    Booker 2
    Harris/Sanders/Steyer 1
    Warren 0

(Not surprising anyone, I know)

Neat tool, Jason. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Here are how my answers matched up with the Democratic contenders:
    Yang and I agree on 8 of the 10 questions
    Buttigieg, Harris, Biden, Booker, Klobuchar 6
    Warren 4
    Sanders 3

-Jason "I recognize that this is not expressly about the horse race and it reveals some individual partisan lean, but it is not argumentative and is an interesting exercise" Evans
    I was surprised at how many "None of the 10 Democrats in the November debate agree with you" I received or that only one or two candidates agreed with me on.

Biden 6
    Yang 5
    Klobuchar 4
    Buttigieg. Gabbard 3
    Booker 2
    Harris, Sanders, Steyer 1
    Warren 0

In particular the surprising issues to me were:
    * how few are committed to reducing the debt/deficit
    * how many want to add justices to the supreme court
    * how many want to eliminate the electoral college

edited to add: OPK - We are twins!