Page 143 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 43931331411421431441451531932436431143 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Maybe if an American ship mysteriously exploded in a harbor up there. Worked in 1898.

Yes, I've been thinking Manifest Destiny on all this, just a wee extension of an old favorite philosophy...if it's there, take it.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-21-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Maybe if an American ship mysteriously exploded in a harbor up there. Worked in 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, I've been thinking Manifest Destiny on all this, just a wee extension of an old favorite philosophy...if it's there, take it.
    "54-40 or fight"
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-21-2019 at 03:28 PM.

"I am the Chosen One"

I swear I'm not making this up:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...Vav?li=BBnb7Kz

I'll be honest...at some point it's all just entertainment.

rovlta9.jpg

"54-40 or fight"
    It's more like "83-60 or fight"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

"54-40 or fight"
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It's more like "83-60 or fight"
    I prefer 82-52, no fight.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I prefer 82-52, no fight.

There's a lot to be said for 104-103, greatest fight of all time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Inslee is outslee.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

And yet, ten candidates have qualified for the third debate with one or two more quite possible.
    I'm rooting for an 11th to qualify which will split the debate into 2 nights. I would like to see the candidates get more time to elaborate and also take each other on. 11 or even 12 is fine with me.

Also, while I sorta long for this thing to begin to sort itself out, I am far from convinced that Biden, Warren, Sanders, Harris, and Buttigieg are the 5 best candidates. Several of the folks who are struggling to get more than 2-percent deserve more attention and could expand their support to be real contenders, I think. The process is playing out just fine, IMO.

-Jason "can you tell I have been on vacation and away from the computer for a few days? Lots of catching up to do" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, if the Dems run Warren or Sanders, then Fox will quickly get in line. In many ways, I think Biden is the prudent play.
    Or Buttigieg or Booker or Beto or Castro or Klobuchar or Bennett or Gillibrand or Bullock... I think any of those could be a quite viable candidate against Trump.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Associated Press/U of Chicago poll has Trump at approve 36 (strongly 21), disapprove 62 (strongly 46).

http://www.apnorc.org/PDFs/AP-NORC%2...rstrelease.pdf

That's the worst I've seen. But note that the poll was taken before he declared himself The Chosen One and agreed he is the Messiah's Second Coming. That should get him a bump, I think God polls pretty well.

You can usually tell how well a candidate is performing by the level of fire they're taking. With her recent surge in the polls, Warren appears to be getting it more from both inside the party and the Republicans.

The liberal wing is sniping about Warren's past association with conservatism and Republicanism. She was a Republican or had ties well into her 40s. Her ideology focused on economic policy and not social but she was a Republican because at the time believed they best supported free, healthy markets. She believes the party no longer does so. Here's a pretty good read on her ideological conversion, which stemmed from her observation of consumer bankruptcy proceedings. Regardless of party, I'm open to evolution and changes in position if politicians provide a good reason for it. Think it's refreshing, actually.

From outside the party, Trump and the RNC have revived her early career association w/ Native Americans and the whole "Pocahontas" moniker. Warren recently apologized to a Native American delegation for this.

I don't think her past will be enough to dislodge her from her role as liberal darling given her policy bona fides. The Native American stuff has to be pretty well-baked at this point so barring any new info or gaffes would think it's light ordnance for the Republicans.

In a lighter read, Warren met her doppelganger on the trail recently.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Or Buttigieg or Booker or Beto or Castro or Klobuchar or Bennett or Gillibrand or Bullock... I think any of those could be a quite viable candidate against Trump.
    Agreed, I was only ranking the current poll leaders. I suspect one of those three will face Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Associated Press/U of Chicago poll has Trump at approve 36 (strongly 21), disapprove 62 (strongly 46).

http://www.apnorc.org/PDFs/AP-NORC%2...rstrelease.pdf

That's the worst I've seen. But note that the poll was taken before he declared himself The Chosen One and agreed he is the Messiah's Second Coming. That should get him a bump, I think God polls pretty well.
    Polling suggests that millions of Americans believe that God made Trump president to do His will. That's obviously a touchy subject because it implies that those aligned against Trump are serving a different master but for a big part of his base, to quote the kids, finally someone is saying what we're all thinking.

That is, for the question of what would erode Trump's base support I don't think those statements are the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Polling suggests that millions of Americans believe that God made Trump president to do His will. That's obviously a touchy subject because it implies that those aligned against Trump are serving a different master ...
    Go Devils?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Polling suggests that millions of Americans believe that God made Trump president to do His will. That's obviously a touchy subject because it implies that those aligned against Trump are serving a different master but for a big part of his base, to quote the kids, finally someone is saying what we're all thinking.

That is, for the question of what would erode Trump's base support I don't think those statements are the answer.
    Yeah, and the universe burst into existence "the night preceding the 23rd day of October... the year before Christ 4004" - Archbishop James Ussher, who notably was The Most Reverend (not more, most) and also a Primate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ussher

Do these polls also inquire about the White House occupant's payments to silence the adult film actress with whom he had a sexual affair shortly after his current wife had their child?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm rooting for an 11th to qualify which will split the debate into 2 nights. I would like to see the candidates get more time to elaborate and also take each other on. 11 or even 12 is fine with me.

Also, while I sorta long for this thing to begin to sort itself out, I am far from convinced that Biden, Warren, Sanders, Harris, and Buttigieg are the 5 best candidates. Several of the folks who are struggling to get more than 2-percent deserve more attention and could expand their support to be real contenders, I think. The process is playing out just fine, IMO.

-Jason "can you tell I have been on vacation and away from the computer for a few days? Lots of catching up to do" Evans
    Which candidates are in the Atlantic Division, and which are in the Coastal Division? I have trouble keeping track...

Polling suggests that 18% of Americans believe in Alien Abduction, 17% have seen a UFO (of which I am a member of that group), 11% of Americans think it would be fun to be abducted by an alien, and over half think Aliens exist.

At this point, I just don't take polls seriously. People just aren't that smart. Ask yourself, how many Carolina fans think Carolina doesn't/didn't cheat? I'm sorry...I'll cast my vote on election day and that's the only poll that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Polling suggests that 18% of Americans believe in Alien Abduction, 17% have seen a UFO (of which I am a member of that group), 11% of Americans think it would be fun to be abducted by an alien, and over half think Aliens exist.

At this point, I just don't take polls seriously. People just aren't that smart. Ask yourself, how many Carolina fans think Carolina doesn't/didn't cheat? I'm sorry...I'll cast my vote on election day and that's the only poll that matters.
    And everyone else will cast their vote as well. And those people participated in these polls you are discrediting. Seems like polls should be representative in that case.