Page 140 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 40901301381391401411421501902406401140 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 26103
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If Biden wins the nom, he can guarantee a landslide victory by making Michelle his VP. They won't even have to campaign.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, there probably already are true victories (which most Americans will never realize and/or acknowledge). CEOs must always develop contingency plans for business interruptions. If a CEO is doing serious business in China (plants, supplies, etc.), then they have probably already created alternative plans and possibly arrangements. In the process, some CEOs have probably discovered that bringing business back to the USA (with the new corporate tax rates) is not as expensive as previously believed. Not every company shares Google's beliefs.
    I understand that, Jeffrey....but the sheer volume of what China currently makes can't be easily made up by Viet Nam, Malaysis, Mexico, et al, and bringing it back to the U.S. can take a lot of time...the latest delay in tariffs was, of course, to mitigate the effects for end of the year shopping...I'm just guessing that we might see quite a few more "delays" as we trudge into an election year, and those tariffs may never take effect, just my guess...the entire bobblehead industry waits with bated breath!

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Trump had success attacking Fox News during his last campaign. Why do you think it's such a big problem this time?

IMO, it's a prudent strategy creating future opportunities.
    Yeah, this. Fox News seemed pretty firmly against Trump (not everyone) until he took them down a peg. They quickly got in line.

Fox might feel they don’t need to kowtow at this point in time, as opposed to 2016. The fact that they feel this way now may be bad news for Trump.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If Biden wins the nom, he can guarantee a landslide victory by making Michelle his VP. They won't even have to campaign.
    “If drafted, I will not run; if nominated, I will not accept; if elected, I will not serve.”

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I understand that, Jeffrey...but the sheer volume of what China currently makes can't be easily made up by Viet Nam, Malaysis, Mexico, et al, and bringing it back to the U.S. can take a lot of time...the latest delay in tariffs was, of course, to mitigate the effects for end of the year shopping...I'm just guessing that we might see quite a few more "delays" as we trudge into an election year, and those tariffs may never take effect, just my guess...the entire bobblehead industry waits with bated breath!
    OTOH, repeatedly delayed tariffs make it impossible for a CEO to later tell their Board of Directors they did not see this major issue coming. IMO, a prudent CEO is currently preparing strong alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Yeah, this. Fox News seemed pretty firmly against Trump (not everyone) until he took them down a peg. They quickly got in line.

Fox might feel they don’t need to kowtow at this point in time, as opposed to 2016. The fact that they feel this way now may be bad news for Trump.
    IMO, if the Dems run Warren or Sanders, then Fox will quickly get in line. In many ways, I think Biden is the prudent play.

OTOH, repeatedly delayed tariffs make it impossible for a CEO to later tell their Board of Directors they did not see this major issue coming. IMO, a prudent CEO is currently preparing strong alternatives.
    no doubt, but alternatives, especially those involving high volumes of quality stuff, require time. This is one reason why I see an imminent declaration of victory because the current "policy" is too unpredictable.

Trump had success attacking Fox News during his last campaign. Why do you think it's such a big problem this time?

IMO, it's a prudent strategy creating future opportunities.
    For whatever reason, I don't recollect him attacking Fox News in 2016. Not sure how/when I missed that. But it looks like it happened, as other posters have already confirmed your statement.

I just feel like he has an even stronger uphill battle this time, and the last couple of weeks have been tough, just didn't think taking pot shots at Fox News is helping anything right now. But everything he's done has been unconventional as he has surprised everyone over and over again. So who knows, maybe he knows exactly what he's doing by pulling Fox's reins.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    For whatever reason, I don't recollect him attacking Fox News in 2016. Not sure how/when I missed that. But it looks like it happened, as other posters have already confirmed your statement.

I just feel like he has an even stronger uphill battle this time, and the last couple of weeks have been tough, just didn't think taking pot shots at Fox News is helping anything right now. But everything he's done has been unconventional as he has surprised everyone over and over again. So who knows, maybe he knows exactly what he's doing by pulling Fox's reins.
    As has been proven by every media outlet he's bashed, his bashing does not equate to diminished viewership. And of course, FOX would be smart enough to know they are in the news and opinion business long after Trump is gone. My guess, they don't really care. They are talking about them, that is the most anyone in the business of mass marketing can ask for.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

IMO, if the Dems run Warren or Sanders, then Fox will quickly get in line. In many ways, I think Biden is the prudent play.
    Yeah, no way they were going to have anything nice to say about HRC. May not "back" Biden, but would probably be nicer to him. Of course, how independent are people like Hannity and Carlson, will they toe the company line? Will be interesting to see if this is a blip or the start of something. I imagine CEOs are getting weary of the current climate and are letting the Fox bosses know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    no doubt, but alternatives, especially those involving high volumes of quality stuff, require time. This is one reason why I see an imminent declaration of victory because the current "policy" is too unpredictable.
    Imminent? I agree about the declaration of WINNING! but don't see it being imminent. At least 6 months away. Unless he feels the need to do something soon for the farmers, but his spokespeople have been telling the farmers to suck it up and take one for the team.

Something tells me that Fox News Corp. and the Murdoch Media Empire will be fine whether Trump wins re-election or not, and whether Trump likes them or not.

Call it a hunch.

My bet, next up for Trump... Trump TV. Amazing nobody has challenged Fox for basically half of all American eyes. No doubt, Ailes was tough competition but his best people have also left the building.

OAN seems to be pretty popular among conservatives here in Nevada. Not sure about nationwide.

This is on the PPB fringe, but it may have an impact on voters, so it seems to fit here as well.

Trump has now stated that Jews who vote for a Democrat are disloyal and ignorant. He did not specify to whom they were not loyal.

“Any Jewish people that vote for a Democrat — I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty,” said Trump...

Although Trump has many prominent Jewish supporters and won in 2016 in some heavily Orthodox neighborhoods of New York City, the majority of American Jews have supported Democrats for generations, and continue to do so.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ame...201511894.html

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This is on the PPB fringe, but it may have an impact on voters, so it seems to fit here as well.

Trump has now stated that Jews who vote for a Democrat are disloyal and ignorant. He did not specify to whom they were not loyal.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ame...201511894.html
    I have to imagine based on the recent flap w/Israel banning certain of our congressional delegation from entering the country he's attempting to make the argument that the Democratic party as a whole does not support Israel and that therefore Democrat-voting American Jews are being disloyal. As you say, that ignores a substantial amount of polling of our country's Jewish population that suggests their views on Israel, let alone other matters, are varied and nuanced.

As several officers of the Anti-Defamation League point out, and what any student of history knows — the trope of “disloyal Jews” is poor wording to give it the kindest spin:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/20/polit...lty/index.html

I mean, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As several officers of the Anti-Defamation League point out, and what any student of history knows — the trope of “disloyal Jews” is poor wording to give it the kindest spin:

I mean, wow.
    Seems like he's trying to tie all democrats to "the squad" and their anti-israel stance.

Interesting strategy. If polled I wonder how many congressional democrats side with "the squad" on their views on Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Seems like he's trying to tie all democrats to "the squad" and their anti-israel stance.

Interesting strategy. If polled I wonder how many congressional democrats side with "the squad" on their views on Israel.
    Israel, by and large, has been a bipartisan issue up until now. Fringes in both parties aside. I suspect it is still the same.

Okay, this IS insane. Trump was previously scheduled to meet with the Prime Minister of Denmark in a few weeks, but now cancels because of — the PM’s comments made while refusing to sell Greenland:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...945970176?s=21

/1”Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time...

/2”...The Prime Minister was able to save a great deal of expense and effort for both the United States and Denmark by being so direct. I thank her for that and look forward to rescheduling sometime in the future!”

Tell me how I’m wrong. Please, seriously asking.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

I mean, wow.
    Jews (including myself) tend to skew very high in the college educated demographic, where Trump performs particularly poorly. I do have friends who strongly support him, but the vast majority of Jews would vote for a ham sandwich (preferably with a bowl of matzah ball soup and a knish) over him, and there is very little that could happen that would change their minds. Trying to win Jewish votes is not the best use of his time.