Page 14 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624641145141014 ... LastLast
    Stacey Abrams to give Democrat’s response to the SOTU next Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Stacey Abrams to give Democrat’s response to the SOTU next Tuesday.
    And if we had a 2020 Senate thread I would be posting that this pretty much cements that she is going to run for Senate against David Purdue. No reason for the Dems to put someone not in any office into such an important role unless they want to raise the profile of that person for their next major office bid.

The Dems clearly already have their eyes on more than just the White House in 2020. Georgia is probably third or fourth on the list of seats most likely to flip. Colorado and Maine are the most likely. Then Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina, and Iowa. The GOP will be looking to flip Alabama, New Hamp, Virginia, and possibly Michigan or Minnesota.

-Jason "I suppose the other problem for the Dems was they had to pick someone who will not run for President in 2020 to deliver the SOtU response... not many folks ruled out yet " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "I suppose the other problem for the Dems was they had to pick someone who will not run for President in 2020 to deliver the SOtU response... not many folks ruled out yet " Evans
    Why would that be a prequalifier? Just curious.

Seems odd to me they'd chose someone who lost their election and holds no elected office to respond to the POTUS. (-- rest of post redacted by moderator --)
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 02-01-2019 at 07:53 AM.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Why would that be a prequalifier? Just curious.
    I think you have to go back to 19681985* to find a future president giving a SOTU response. But maybe it's that the party doesn't want to appear to be favoring a candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Seems odd to me they'd chose someone who lost their election and holds no elected office to respond to the POTUS. Were Howard Dean and Al Gore not available?
    Abrams lost in a, let's go with contentious, election and is a good representation of the fight against election fraud -- an issue likely to be at the forefront in 2020.

* forgot Clinton
    Last edited by gus; 01-29-2019 at 06:00 PM.

La Mayor Eric Garcetti, often cited as a potential Dem candidate in 2020, has ruled out a run. Here is a list of where we stand:

Announced exploratory committee
    Senator Elizabeth Warren
    Senator Kirsten Gillibrand
    Former Mayor Pete Buttigieg

Announced they are running
    Senator Kamala Harris
    Former Sec. Julian Castro
    Rep. Tulsi Gabbard
    Rep. John Delaney
    Businessman Andrew Yang
    Spiritual author Marianne Williamson

Awaiting decisions from (among others)
    Former Vice President Joe Biden
    Senator Bernie Sanders
    Senator Cory Booker
    Senator Amy Klobuchar
    Senator Sherrod Brown
    Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg
    Former Attorney Gen. Eric Holder
    Former Gov. John Hickenlooper
    Gov. Jay Inslee
    Sen. Michael Bennet
    Sen. Jeff Merkley
    Rep. Eric Swalwell
    Former Gov. Terry McAuliffe
    Former Sec. John Kerry
    Former Sec. Hilary Clinton (there is some real chatter about this)
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Listened to Howard Schultz on Morning Joe this morning. No idea if he will get in or how he might do, but this isn’t a lark or a book publicity stunt. He argues that the two party system is broken; the left wing of the Democratic Party controls the Dems; and that Trymp is loathesome.

Not endorsing these views here obviously, but the idea that he is just a Trump plant or an intended spoiler doesn’t seem to be the case. I think his viability will depend on how far left the Dems go in picking their candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Listened to Howard Schultz on Morning Joe this morning. No idea if he will get in or how he might do, but this isn’t a lark or a book publicity stunt. He argues that the two party system is broken; the left wing of the Democratic Party controls the Dems; and that Trymp is loathesome.

Not endorsing these views here obviously, but the idea that he is just a Trump plant or an intended spoiler doesn’t seem to be the case. I think his viability will depend on how far left the Dems go in picking their candidate.
    This is an interesting criticism, because I think the left wing part of the party generally feels like they don't get much more than lip service from the leadership of the Dem party. Of course, if you are trying to position yourself as the sensible, centralist option between both parties, you kind of have to frame it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This is an interesting criticism, because I think the left wing part of the party generally feels like they don't get much more than lip service from the leadership of the Dem party.
    Yeah, there's been quite a few posts in this thread (not OPK's) talking about how the parties are just as extreme as each other and moderates are not welcome in either and so on. Setting aside that these posts represent my usual complaint with these political DBR threads (the rule that you're not allowed to argue for your personal political position – unless that position is pro 3rd party and both sides are bad), I don't think this position is supported by any evidence, polling statistics, or the betting markets having Kamala Harris as the favorite in the race.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I took a look at the WAPO-ABC News poll I referenced above, and it is really interesting. They asked a few questions, one of which was
    "Q: (AMONG DEMOCRATS/DEM LEANERS) If the 2020 Democratic primary or caucus in your state were being held today, for whom would you vote? (Open-ended, candidate names not read)"
    (Bolding is mine)

Biden leads with 9%. Bernie Sanders? He is tied at 4% with a guy named Donald Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/...d=a_inl_manual
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I took a look at the WAPO-ABC News poll I referenced above, and it is really interesting. They asked a few questions, one of which was (Bolding is mine)

Biden leads with 9%. Bernie Sanders? He is tied at 4% with a guy named Donald Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/...d=a_inl_manual
    4 percent of respondants would vote for Trump in a Democratic Caucus?

That is truly surprising...

[edit: I assumed this was some sort of mistake, but that is truly what the poll results suggest. And, I really am surprised]
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 01-30-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

[edit: I assumed this was some sort of mistake, but that is truly what the poll results suggest. And, I really am surprised]
    Not surprising at all to me. There is a small segment of folks who call themselves Democrats who largely back Republican policies and candidates and the same is true on the other side of the aisle. Trump's approval rating among Democrats has been consistently in the 5-8% kind of range for a long time.

I know some folks who are Democrats but who are fiercely pro-Israel. They say they hate everything Trump is doing...except his policy in the Middle East and they like that so much they are Trump backers.

Not surprising at all to me. There is a small segment of folks who call themselves Democrats who largely back Republican policies and candidates and the same is true on the other side of the aisle. Trump's approval rating among Democrats has been consistently in the 5-8% kind of range for a long time.

I know some folks who are Democrats but who are fiercely pro-Israel. They say they hate everything Trump is doing...except his policy in the Middle East and they like that so much they are Trump backers.
    Sure. I guess I see that. I can imagine a similar percentage of Democrats that would support GW, or Republicans would support Obama. But it's the concept of voting for them in a primary that blows my mind.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Sure. I guess I see that. I can imagine a similar percentage of Democrats that would support GW, or Republicans would support Obama. But it's the concept of voting for them in a primary that blows my mind.
    I bet at least 4% of the people don't pay attention to the questions they are being asked either. They likely said Trump with the general election in mind.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I bet at least 4% of the people don't pay attention to the questions they are being asked either...
    As a junior high teacher, I would like to place a pie bet on this.
    I'll take the over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Yeah, there's been quite a few posts in this thread (not OPK's) talking about how the parties are just as extreme as each other and moderates are not welcome in either and so on. Setting aside that these posts represent my usual complaint with these political DBR threads (the rule that you're not allowed to argue for your personal political position – unless that position is pro 3rd party and both sides are bad), I don't think this position is supported by any evidence, polling statistics, or the betting markets having Kamala Harris as the favorite in the race.
    Not to mention that the Dems' retaking of the House was largely driven by more centrist candidates winning in purple states and districts, rather than any sort of hardcore leftist wave.

How many percent were for Pat Buchanan?

Announced exploratory committee
    Former Mayor Pete Buttigieg
    I believe he's still serving as mayor: https://southbendin.gov/official/mayor-pete-buttigieg/

I have to tell you that I don't find it surprising at all. Sure there might be some single issue voters as Jason suggests but frankly, I think there are just too many people that don't really pay much attention until 2 days before an election. I also think that those people are influenced by rhetoric more than facts. They vote, get their little 'I voted' sticker and check right back out after the election. If you sat down with one with a list of issues and told them to pick a side on each issue (without identifying which side is which) they would discover they just voted against their own beliefs.

The whole rhetoric vs fact thing has reached new heights because of rampant social media use (misuse). An example is one discussed in this thread "Far left is taking over the Democrats", except you know for facts and the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I have to tell you that I don't find it surprising at all. Sure there might be some single issue voters as Jason suggests but frankly, I think there are just too many people that don't really pay much attention until 2 days before an election. I also think that those people are influenced by rhetoric more than facts. They vote, get their little 'I voted' sticker and check right back out after the election. If you sat down with one with a list of issues and told them to pick a side on each issue (without identifying which side is which) they would discover they just voted against their own beliefs.

The whole rhetoric vs fact thing has reached new heights because of rampant social media use (misuse). An example is one discussed in this thread "Far left is taking over the Democrats", except you know for facts and the truth.
    Facts and truth seem to matter less and less in politics.

Facts and truth seem to matter less and less in politics.
    Also, i think there is just a certain percentage of respondents who are smart ***s and/or answer fairly randomly.