Page 135 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 35851251331341351361371451852356351135 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 26103
    I did read that Harry Truman tried to buy Greenland for $100 million after WWII, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Bats take care of mosquito problems ...
    Are you saying I need to get a couple of US House Reps and tie them up in my backyard and that will take care of my mosquito problems?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Are you saying I need to get a couple of US House Reps and tie them up in my backyard and that will take care of my mosquito problems?
    Just make sure you hang them upside down. Otherwise they're ineffective. Mosquitoes are pretty smart.

Thinking for a moment, they're pretty much ineffective in any position or situation.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I did read that Harry Truman tried to buy Greenland for $100 million after WWII, so there's that.
    According to a random online inflation calculator, that's $1.5 billion today. That actually seems really reasonable. I could get behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    According to a random online inflation calculator, that's $1.5 billion today. That actually seems really reasonable. I could get behind this.
    Do the 56,000 residents of Greenland get any say in this matter? I don't know the protocol these days for taking over a country. Amazing that you could fit the entire population of a country in Carter-Finley Stadium with room to spare.

FoxNews poll shows Trump losing to Biden, Warren, Sanders and Harris if election was today:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ers-and-harris

To me, the interesting part is that it undermines Biden's argument that he is best-suited to beat Trump. While it is true that he polls the best currently against Trump, this gives ammo to the supporters of the other three to chip at the "electability" angle Joe is pushing.

And while polls this far out have the usual caveats, it has to be troubling for the White House. Trump gets the same 38%-39% in all match-ups but no more.

FoxNews poll shows Trump losing to Biden, Warren, Sanders and Harris if election was today:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ers-and-harris

To me, the interesting part is that it undermines Biden's argument that he is best-suited to beat Trump. While it is true that he polls the best currently against Trump, this gives ammo to the supporters of the other three to chip at the "electability" angle Joe is pushing.

And while polls this far out have the usual caveats, it has to be troubling for the White House. Trump gets the same 38%-39% in all match-ups but no more.
    The same poll has Biden 31, Warren 20, Sanders 10, Harris 8. That's a pretty big surge by Warren. The latest Iowa poll has Warren with a significant lead there (hate the outsize influence Iowa has, not because of Warren, just in general).

I always thought if Biden won the nomination that Harris was the natural VP pick. Now I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Gonna be hard to run that whole thing on septic and a well.

Oh wait -- INFRASTRUCTURE!!!!!!

(Lots of good reasons to "buy" Greenland actually, it's not crazy. But it is humorously random right now.)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Do the 56,000 residents of Greenland get any say in this matter? I don't know the protocol these days for taking over a country. Amazing that you could fit the entire population of a country in Carter-Finley Stadium with room to spare.
    Greenland is a self-governing entity under the Kingdom of Denmark (so I read). Its people and government would get a say.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Greenland is a self-governing entity under the Kingdom of Denmark (so I read). Its people and government would get a say.
    And Greenland left the EU before leaving the EU was cool (1985). (Denmark is still part of the EU, oddly, although like the UK it has its own currency (krone) and opts out of some other EU policies.)

And Greenland left the EU before leaving the EU was cool (1985). (Denmark is still part of the EU, oddly, although like the UK it has its own currency (krone) and opts out of some other EU policies.)
    Was it a Grexit?

Gonna be hard to run that whole thing on septic and a well.

Oh wait -- INFRASTRUCTURE!!!!!!

(Lots of good reasons to "buy" Greenland actually, it's not crazy. But it is humorously random right now.)
    Let's not descend into PPB territory here. I've held my tongue but your "pro buy Greenland" bias has been apparent for some time and frankly I think you should dial it back.

I have not been able to find any polling on whether there is public support for America buying Greenland...
    Is Denmark going to pay for it?

(jokes aside, people made fun of the Alaska purchase, which turned out to be a great decision... I'm not sure it's a perfect analogy but it's at least not obviously dismissable, although hard to tell if it's even remotely serious).

Let's not descend into PPB territory here. I've held my tongue but your "pro buy Greenland" bias has been apparent for some time and frankly I think you should dial it back.
    Your anti-permafrost bias is showing too, my friend. Why do you hate polar bears?

I assume Trump is just playing both sides on climate change

FWIW, the 2/10 year yield curve is no longer inverted.

The two-year Treasury is at 1.50 percent.
    The five-year Treasury is at 1.43 percent.
    The 10-year Treasury is at 1.55 percent.
    The 30-year Treasury is at 2.00 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

(jokes aside, people made fun of the Alaska purchase, which turned out to be a great decision... I'm not sure it's a perfect analogy but it's at least not obviously dismissable, although hard to tell if it's even remotely serious).
    Well, seriously, given all the economic, military and environmental concerns about the Arctic, Greenland is increasing in importance. Wasn't there a recent Scientific American issue devoted to the Arctic? When it comes to Arctic sea bed and mineral rights, Greenland has a large claim. All of which would make it more valuable to the Kingdom of Denmark (Queendom?).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, seriously, given all the economic, military and environmental concerns about the Arctic, Greenland is increasing in importance. Wasn't there a recent Scientific American issue devoted to the Arctic? When it comes to Arctic sea bed and mineral rights, Greenland has a large claim. All of which would make it more valuable to the Kingdom of Denmark (Queendom?).
    Yes, exactly right. All kidding aside, since climate change has opened up a lot of the Arctic to exploration and the NW passage is ice free, there's a quiet arms race to gain access to all the minerals, oil deposits, trade routes, etc that are now or are projected to become accessible. Stuff like this is why our military studies the impacts of climate change in relation to national security and runs scenario analyses.

My guess is someone told Trump about how China and/or Russia are maneuvering to gain more holds in the Arctic, including with Greenland, and that's what prompted these inquiries.

The jokes are in good fun because it sort of came out of the blue (errr, green)...

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

Kudos to you, that's very funny.
    Getting back slightly to the race (if you can call an 18 month molasses coated process a "race "), seems that Trump is doing an ultra good job of solidifying his base (is that even necessary?) but I can't quite discern his pitch to everyone else...though he has, of course, been misunderestimated before.