Page 1301 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 30180112011251129112991300130113021303 ... LastLast
Results 26,001 to 26,020 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Yes, this is true. The former head of the pardon office of the Justice Department (the government entity that usually handles this) has discussed and affirmed it in interviews.
    It is true but Biden could make them public anytime he wished.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Greatest moment of GOP-Dem cooperation of the past decade...

-Jason "Laura always has the candy!" Evans
    Would have been better if it was a Tweety pez dispenser.

FWIW, McConnell opened the Senate today stating that the mob had been "misled by the President and powerful people." Not sure where he will end on impeachment, but McConnell would clearly like to exorcise Trump from his future problems if he can.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    FWIW, McConnell opened the Senate today stating that the mob had been "misled by the President and powerful people." Not sure where he will end on impeachment, but McConnell would clearly like to exorcise Trump from his future problems if he can.
    I just read that posted bit of news and gagged.
    McConnell, just like most of his GOP congressional brethren took almost two weeks to even acknowledge that Biden was the victor. (Mitch finally caved on the 15th.) There are still some who say it was stolen and refuse to recognize Biden as the legitimate winner.
    And now he throws himself in a blameless light. I'm glad that he's saying Trump bears the responsibility and has lied about it, but your boss had help there, buddy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

McConnell was not happy about last week. It is almost unimaginable to think of him saying something like this against a sitting Republican President. Of course, there are almost 0 political consequences for him now. He squeezed every judicial drop out of the Trump orange, likely won't run for Senate again, has just a few days of Trump left. Still, it sounds like he's ready to go to bat for the future of the GOP and has a position on what that should be.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I just read that posted bit of news and gagged.
    McConnell, just like most of his GOP congressional brethren took almost two weeks to even acknowledge that Biden was the victor. (Mitch finally caved on the 15th.) There are still some who say it was stolen and refuse to recognize Biden as the legitimate winner.
    And now he throws himself in a blameless light. I'm glad that he's saying Trump bears the responsibility and has lied about it, but your boss had help there, buddy.
    Well, he did include "powerful people" in the statement and he is a powerful person. Wiggle room? He's a wily cuss.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    McConnell was not happy about last week. It is almost unimaginable to think of him saying something like this against a sitting Republican President. Of course, there are almost 0 political consequences for him now. He squeezed every judicial drop out of the Trump orange, likely won't run for Senate again, has just a few days of Trump left. Still, it sounds like he's ready to go to bat for the future of the GOP and has a position on what that should be.
    Generally agree with you except for one potentially big political consequence - if the Republicans regain the Senate in 2022 or 2024, he wants to be the Majority Leader. He loves the power that comes with the position, and everything he does revolves around it. So he has to keep his Republican colleagues happy. So to your point, it seems like at least for now, he doesn't think that Trump is the future of the party.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Generally agree with you except for one potentially big political consequence - if the Republicans regain the Senate in 2022 or 2024, he wants to be the Majority Leader. He loves the power that comes with the position, and everything he does revolves around it. So he has to keep his Republican colleagues happy. So to your point, it seems like at least for now, he doesn't think that Trump is the future of the party.
    Simply put, Mitch would absolutely love to be done with Trump but is not willing to go out on a limb to get rid of him...his finger is definitely to the wind...he's not going to lead the charge.

Mitch pointedly accused Trump of having incited the mob (in comments today) and yet he still won't go on the record as advocating conviction...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Simply put, Mitch would absolutely love to be done with Trump but is not willing to go out on a limb to get rid of him...his finger is definitely to the wind...he's not going to lead the charge.
    Which finger?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He may not lead the charge -- but will he line up the votes? You know there are a lot of closed door discussions within the caucus right now. And *if* the Dems put up a concise, tight and powerful case that grabs the public he may be willing to put the proverbial knife in.

He may not lead the charge -- but will he line up the votes? You know there are a lot of closed door discussions within the caucus right now. And *if* the Dems put up a concise, tight and powerful case that grabs the public he may be willing to put the proverbial knife in.
    yeah, if the metaphorical Trump is lying on the ground, Mitch will be happy to finish him off...but he's not interested in leading the charge. Yes, i bet there are some interesting discussions going on now..

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Which finger?
    And on which hand?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I need to consult with Dr. Bonk on that one.

In addition to McConnell and McCarthy skipping the Trump send-off -- they will be in church with Biden -- it is being reported that Pence will also decline to attend.

Not with a bang, but a whimper . . . .

In addition to McConnell and McCarthy skipping the Trump send-off -- they will be in church with Biden -- it is being reported that Pence will also decline to attend.

I mean, I get it but... someone needs to make sure he leaves.

When the inside story of these last couple of weeks is told, I will bet a lot that there have been some pointed, direct handshake discussions acknowledging Pence as the de facto president through much of the lame duck period (especially after the Capitol insurrection). I think Pence is skipping Trump's pity party not just to distance himself from that legacy (good luck with that), but also because he feels like he has actual work to do.

Re Mitch, is it possible that he is thinking about how history will view him? Right now, despite his decades in D.C., his story is inexorably linked to Trump. I would even say he is the #1 enabler (Pence really has no power). Leading the Senate Rs to a conviction of Trump would shatter that. Or at least let him wiggle more (I know, bad visual).

I guess it depends on whether he agrees with me, and how he believes history will view Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    It is true but Biden could make them public anytime he wished.
    Oh, they could turn it into an unveiling of sorts. Think NBA draft lottery, big ole fancy envelopes...

Interesting reporting this afternoon on a meeting Trump had with his attorneys Saturday re pardons. What was expected last week may not be what we see today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ng/vi-BB1cTRdB

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Interesting reporting this afternoon on a meeting Trump had with his attorneys Saturday re pardons. What was expected last week may not be what we see today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ng/vi-BB1cTRdB
    Apparently, some bettors think Lil Wayne is the most likely pardon recipient...It has Bannon as #2. Add Kodak Black, and those are the only three as 'more likely than not' to get a pardon according to the following site:
    https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/ne...ne-joe-exotic/
    Jared Fogle, R Kelly, Bill Cosby, and El Chapo? Oh boy...I guess you get major odds if you bet on those (and rightly so).

Could be Lil Wayne's most prudent (only?) political endorsement ever...Kinda crazy that simply saying you're going to vote for a guy could theoretically have such a huge impact on your ability (or not) to be convicted of a major crime. His sentencing hearing is on January 28 -- although I guess that goes out the window if the pardon comes.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 01-19-2021 at 03:48 PM.