Page 1279 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 279779117912291269127712781279128012811289 ... LastLast
Results 25,561 to 25,580 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    I agree. It appears there's little support for term limits in this thread, but the arguments for, in my opinion, definitely outweigh the arguments against. I doubt the Founding Fathers were anticipating a congress full of career politicians. Most politicians focus on fundraising for re-election as soon as they are elected, and the pursuit of campaign dollars is nonstop. Their votes on most any issue (take yesterday's impeachment vote as an example) are based on what best for their re-election chances, not what's principled, or best for their district, state, or the country.

As for taking 8+ years to build up expertise - nah. Congress members have able staff, as do the committees - staff with subject matter expertise and expertise in the machinations of legislating. Also, there's no shortage of expertise in the form of nonprofits and think tanks (not all are lobbyists) on issues of the day.

Perhaps term limits will attract folks looking to serve the people and not their party; to make a difference, rather than just build personal power. Maybe term limits won't improve anything, but it's worth a shot. Can't be a lot worse.
    You could argue that doing what is best for their district is what gets them re-elected. No comment on whether that is principled or best of the state/country though.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Wow—really? He always struck me as someone who was more concerned about staying together.
    I got it and I support this.

As for taking 8+ years to build up expertise - nah. Congress members have able staff, as do the committees - staff with subject matter expertise and expertise in the machinations of legislating. Also, there's no shortage of expertise in the form of nonprofits and think tanks (not all are lobbyists) on issues of the day.
    Perhaps, but everyone has an agenda. Everyone.

I agree. It appears there's little support for term limits in this thread, but the arguments for, in my opinion, definitely outweigh the arguments against. I doubt the Founding Fathers were anticipating a congress full of career politicians. Most politicians focus on fundraising for re-election as soon as they are elected, and the pursuit of campaign dollars is nonstop. Their votes on most any issue (take yesterday's impeachment vote as an example) are based on what best for their re-election chances, not what's principled, or best for their district, state, or the country.

Perhaps term limits will attract folks looking to serve the people and not their party; to make a difference, rather than just build personal power. Maybe term limits won't improve anything, but it's worth a shot. Can't be a lot worse.
    Listen to Malcolm gladwell's podcast about hiring and elections. It offers some interesting perspectives on these two things.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Perhaps, but everyone has an agenda. Everyone.
    yep, understood!

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    As an SC resident I must ask, was that a compliment or an insult? Or both?
    Oh, it was a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Put me in the group that is staunchly opposed to term limits. I think relationships actually do matter in the Senate. Plus there really aren't that many people capable of doing the job of senator and placing a functional limit on how long they can serve just means we would be promoting lots of morons into positions they can't handle. In general, I think the Senate does a fairly good job of maintaining their reputation as the greatest deliberative body in the world.
    Im of tbe opinion that we have tbat problem now quite a few (the dirty dozen give or take) of that cant handle the position or dont care to .
    The only try to keep thier jobs regardless of whats good or bad for the people .
    Plus can you imagine owning a company and letting the employees decide when and how much of a raise they get aswell as working days.

To me this is pure insanity. They have no immediate accountability.thier constitutes wont interfere with them.
    For fear of losing support for the next election.

We need a change term limits may or may not work .but its worth a shot.

Numerous examples of why it isnt working.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    In classic DBR fashion, I’ll be “that guy”: It’s either LLP or PLLC.
    Lol, when I was in grad school the law school was the next building over. I know that because they had the more interesting mixers...

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    As an SC resident I must ask, was that a compliment or an insult? Or both?
    As a fellow resident you know the saying.
    Thank god for Mississippi .if wasnt for them we would be last in everything.lol

I guess we can add except for voter id.

I think you are missing the real power base that isn’t going to give up its numbers. The political parties (the power brokers) are going to maintain ‘ownership’ of seats and direct the votes.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think Trump should represent himself. It'll give him camera time, keep him in the spotlight . . . .
    Absolutely, it would be an excellent premiere broadcast event for Trump TV! Imagine how many people would watch.

Apparently the entire National Mall will be closed for inauguration.

It’s sad for several reasons but understandable. DC during an inauguration is a fun, electric time. I lived in DC for Bush 2004 and Obama 2008 and attended festivities/events for both. Really a neat experience.

Sad place we’re in.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Apparently the entire National Mall will be closed for inauguration.

It’s sad for several reasons but understandable. DC during an inauguration is a fun, electric time. I lived in DC for Bush 2004 and Obama 2008 and attended festivities/events for both. Really a neat experience.

Sad place we’re in.
    I agree that it is very sad that it has come to this. Will we (and more importantly politicians) have to live the rest of our lives in fear of domestic terrorism?

On a positive note, I don't think there will be much debate about whether there were more people at Trump's inauguration or Biden's. So we've got that going for us.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree that it is very sad that it has come to this. Will we (and more importantly politicians) have to live the rest of our lives in fear of domestic terrorism?

On a positive note, I don't think there will be much debate about whether there were more people at Trump's inauguration or Biden's. So we've got that going for us.
    If I were Joe (thank God I'm not) I'd take the oath in the Oval Office, skip the pomp, and spend the rest of the day starting the insane job ahead of me.

Folks, debates about term limits and voter IDs and the such are clear public policy discussions that are not allowed in this thread or on the DBR.

And can we please tamp down a bit piling on the impeached President. There is a healthy percentage of the country (around 40%) that feels impeachment was not warranted. I urge you all to be more measured in your righteous indignation and anger.

You have been warned...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Or

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Strikes me more as The Law Offices of L Lin Wood APC” type.
    Knowing these guys, they would be organized as a general partnership and liable for the debts of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Folks, debates about term limits and voter IDs and the such are clear public policy discussions that are not allowed in this thread or on the DBR.

And can we please tamp down a bit piling on the impeached President. There is a healthy percentage of the country (around 40%) that feels impeachment was not warranted. I urge you all to be more measured in your righteous indignation and anger.

You have been warned...
    Thank you for acknowledging it’s righteousness!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Thank you for acknowledging it’s righteousness!
    Sigh...people learn the wrong lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

You have been warned...
    Are we still allowed to pile on Rudy, Sydney, and Lin?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    For the rest of our lives? I don't think so. For the next election cycle or two? Probably. our nation has gotten through some tough times and we will get through this.