Page 1278 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 278778117812281268127612771278127912801288 ... LastLast
Results 25,541 to 25,560 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Rep QAnon Greene says she will file articles of impeachment against Biden on Day 1 on behalf of the American people. Heavy sigh.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...ticles-against
    No guts. She's giving him a whole half-day without harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Washington Post reports that Trump is not going to pay Giuliani for his past legal services, also not paying his expenses...
    Guess Rudy won't be representing Trump in the impeachment trial, then?

I think Trump should represent himself. It'll give him camera time, keep him in the spotlight . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    What about extended term limits? Say, an 8 year term limit. I think there's a middle ground that could be worked out where legislators would work for the people and not for outside interference and themselves. Just my 2 cents.
    Yeah, still not nearly sufficient (and not plausible for the Senate, which have 6-year terms).

In almost any line of work, I'd say that 8 years is an insufficient amount of time to become an expert, let alone to utilize that acquired expertise.

I could certainly accept campaign finance reform measures and ways of restricting power of lobbyists. And I could accept, say, a 24 year term limit. But 8 is WAY too short. As is 12.

Put me in the group that is staunchly opposed to term limits. I think relationships actually do matter in the Senate. Plus there really aren't that many people capable of doing the job of senator and placing a functional limit on how long they can serve just means we would be promoting lots of morons into positions they can't handle. In general, I think the Senate does a fairly good job of maintaining their reputation as the greatest deliberative body in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, still not nearly sufficient (and not plausible for the Senate, which have 6-year terms).

In almost any line of work, I'd say that 8 years is an insufficient amount of time to become an expert, let alone to utilize that acquired expertise.
    You're probably right. I just don't trust politicians, Reps and Dems. Independent is looking real good right about now. Either that or moving to Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Put me in the group that is staunchly opposed to term limits. I think relationships actually do matter in the Senate. Plus there really aren't that many people capable of doing the job of senator and placing a functional limit on how long they can serve just means we would be promoting lots of morons into positions they can't handle. In general, I think the Senate does a fairly good job of maintaining their reputation as the greatest deliberative body in the world.
    Yeah, we've got enough of them already.

You're probably right. I just don't trust politicians, Reps and Dems. Independent is looking real good right about now. Either that or moving to Australia.
    I would strongly recommend taking a look at some of Australia’s politicians first.

I would strongly recommend taking a look at some of Australia’s politicians first.
    You do know I was kidding right. Sorry forgot that

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    yeah, we've got enough of them already.
    exactly!!!!!

I agree if SC can do it, so can all states and shame on those states if they don't. With a Democrat President and Congress (50-50) Federal funding could be cut for the states that don't comply.
    As an SC resident I must ask, was that a compliment or an insult? Or both?

Try New Zealand. They managed to almost completely get rid of COVID-19 on their island. Thought they are currently experiencing a second wave of a dozen or so cases a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    In classic DBR fashion, I’ll be “that guy”: It’s either LLP or PLLC.
    Strikes me more as The Law Offices of L Lin Wood APC” type.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Guess Rudy won't be representing Trump in the impeachment trial, then?

I think Trump should represent himself. It'll give him camera time, keep him in the spotlight . . . .
    Favorite Son-In-Law Jared has a law degree. Since he was tasked with solving all of the world's other great problems short of going into a lab and developing the Covid vaccine, he could also represent dearest father-in-law. Interestingly, his Wiki page says that he interned in the Manhattan DA's office under the last DA. Now they are coming after Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Try New Zealand. They managed to almost completely get rid of COVID-19 on their island. Thought they are currently experiencing a second wave of a dozen or so cases a day!
    Pretty sure their doors are closed to Americans right now for exactly these reasons.

You do know I was kidding right. Sorry forgot that
    Never joke about a nation that makes up an animal specifically to scare away people when they already have the top thousand+ most deadly animals!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Term limits sound like a good idea, but actually are very problematic. Specifically, they weaken Congress by not giving congressmen any incentive to learn and improve. The more desirable/important committees are led by senior congressmen who have gained experience in the subject matter over their time in office. If you limit their time in office, congressmen won't get the time learning the ropes in order to be experts in their committee roles, and they won't have any incentive to put in the effort to learn them anyway since their terms will be truncated.

If you want to further strengthen the executive branch relative to the legislative branch and make Congress even less effective, term limits are a great idea. If you want a balance of power, term limits are a terrible idea.
    I agree completely, CDu. If you impose term limits, you are handing much of the decision-making of the Congress over to the more than 20,000 members of the Congressional staff plus a large cadre of career officials in the Executive Branch. I think we should rely on the elected representatives of the people.

By the way, there is much corroborating evidence on this subject from states, like Colorado, who have imposed (by plebiscite) severe term limits.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Rep QAnon Greene says she will file articles of impeachment against Biden on Day 1 on behalf of the American people. Heavy sigh.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...ticles-against
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Impeachment is now a political football. Great.
    I'm pretty sure that Trump had articles filed against him early as well; they just never went anywhere. Specifically I'm thinking of Al Green, who gave it a shot three times before impeachment was actually taken up as a vote on the floor. I think members of "the squad" had threatened to, or actually did, also.

Found this article on Green.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/12...democrats-now/

Edit...kinda funny given both of their last names.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Favorite Son-In-Law Jared has a law degree. Since he was tasked with solving all of the world's other great problems short of going into a lab and developing the Covid vaccine, he could also represent dearest father-in-law. Interestingly, his Wiki page says that he interned in the Manhattan DA's office under the last DA. Now they are coming after Trump.
    Um, son-in-law is on the outs too. (reported 1-1-21, meeting occurred in August)

"I'm going to lose," Trump said according to The Times. "And it's going to be your fault, because of the testing."
    https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ng-nyt-2020-12

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Specifically I'm thinking of Al Green...
    Wow—really? He always struck me as someone who was more concerned about staying together.

What about extended term limits? Say, an 8 year term limit. I think there's a middle ground that could be worked out where legislators would work for the people and not for outside interference and themselves. Just my 2 cents.
    I agree. It appears there's little support for term limits in this thread, but the arguments for, in my opinion, definitely outweigh the arguments against. I doubt the Founding Fathers were anticipating a congress full of career politicians. Most politicians focus on fundraising for re-election as soon as they are elected, and the pursuit of campaign dollars is nonstop. Their votes on most any issue (take yesterday's impeachment vote as an example) are based on what best for their re-election chances, not what's principled, or best for their district, state, or the country.

As for taking 8+ years to build up expertise - nah. Congress members have able staff, as do the committees - staff with subject matter expertise and expertise in the machinations of legislating. Also, there's no shortage of expertise in the form of nonprofits and think tanks (not all are lobbyists) on issues of the day.

Perhaps term limits will attract folks looking to serve the people and not their party; to make a difference, rather than just build personal power. Maybe term limits won't improve anything, but it's worth a shot. Can't be a lot worse.