Page 1270 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 270770117012201260126812691270127112721280 ... LastLast
Results 25,381 to 25,400 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    The Onion once had a headline,

"Rush Limbaugh Admits Presidential Medal Of Freedom Less Of An Honor Knowing That Rosa Parks, Maya Angelou Also Received It"

I'd say, looking into the Biden presidency and who he might choose to honor, this cuts both ways now! (maybe it always has)
    Why!
    Do you think that Biden will demean an honor that, until Trump, was our highest honor?
    Exactly how do you think he will demean it?

Just asking?

Per NYT:

“You can either go down in history as a patriot,” Trump told Pence before he went to oversee the electoral vote “or you can go down in history as a {grab ‘em by the}.”
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Per NYT:

“You can either go down in history as a patriot,” Trump told Pence before he went to oversee the electoral vote “or you can go down in history as a {grab ‘em by the}.”
    Pence chose patriot.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Photo released of the guy sought in the murder of the CH police officer.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/capitol-r...203913022.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Remember when some predicted Trump would grow into the office?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    So I did. To be fair it didn't last a full 48 hours. But I am on record telling my buddies he would govern from the middle. It had not aged well by January 22nd 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Never, ever thought that would happen. I knew from day one he would govern as the person he truly is. Nothing on the face of the earth was ever going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Never, ever thought that would happen. I knew from day one he would govern as the person he truly is. Nothing on the face of the earth was ever going to change that.
    Rub it in why don't you.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I have to break my promise one more time if only to add some levity to the proceedings. I read an article which I can't find anymore that essentially said...

Trump has devalued the medal of freedom so much that is worth about as much as a free drink ticket at this year's Mar-a-largo St. Patrick's Day party.
    I'm the last person to defend Trump, but he actually hasn't been giving out the medal of freedom that much - he has given it to a lot fewer people than prior presidents. He has given it to 24 people, while Obama gave it to 118 (including Dean Smith!), GWB to 85, Clinton to 110, GHWB 42, etc. A few of Trump's recipients have been questionable, but many have been pretty standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dom_recipients

I thought the impeachment was going to be tonight. Now it is tomorrow. Not sure what the delay is - I thought the Democrats goal was to have this done asap?

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Why!
    Do you think that Biden will demean an honor that, until Trump, was our highest honor?
    Exactly how do you think he will demean it?

Just asking?
    No, I don't mean that at all.

I'm just pointing out that future recipients might look back at some of Trump's honorees and maybe not feel as good about getting it, just as the (politically) opposite situation is alluded to (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) in the Onion headline.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm the last person to defend Trump, but he actually hasn't been giving out the medal of freedom that much - he has given it to a lot fewer people than prior presidents. He has given it to 24 people, while Obama gave it to 118 (including Dean Smith!), GWB to 85, Clinton to 110, GHWB 42, etc. A few of Trump's recipients have been questionable, but many have been pretty standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dom_recipients
    I would argue Obama could have given these out like cotton candy at the fair and it wouldn't have debased the medal like giving it to Jim Jordan, Devin Nunes, Rush and Miriam Adelson.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I normally love doing the 'I told you so' dance but not this time. It has been worse than I anticipated but I never once expected him to moderate (or even modulate). He had a 60 year public track record of being the exact same person and seeking only to aggrandize himself. If someone tells you who they are through words or actions, believe them.

Joint Chiefs of Staff statement:

"We witnessed actions inside the Capitol building that were inconsistent with the rule of law. The rights of freedom of speech and assembly do not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition and insurrection."

"As Service Members, we must embody the embody the values and ideals of the Nation. We support and defend the Constitution. Any act to disrupt the Constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values, and oath; it is against the law."

If impeachment is going to happen and Trump realizes it would it be in his interest to resign or stay the course?
    Just wondering this because maybe Mitch is playing a game to force him to resign?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    If impeachment is going to happen and Trump realizes it would it be in his interest to resign or stay the course?
    Just wondering this because maybe Mitch is playing a game to force him to resign?
    It seems that Mitch just wants to vote him off the GOP island.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "in the end, I think we may see about 20 House Republicans vote to impeach... but can we get 17 in the Senate?" Evans
    20 would be disappointing. I suppose this is a problem with safe districts. It's more important to appease those most likely to vote in a primary since there is no general election.

I'm going to ask this two-part question as dispassionately as possible.

The so-called Trump Library is a punchline. But historically speaking it is important. But the devil is really in the details on this one. What prominent university would touch this? Historians need this information. Do we just skip Trump Library and go directly to the National Archives? Or try to find an academic home?

Part two. When a former president dies, we have a fair amount of solemn observation. How much of this is just tradition and how much of this is required? I realize future events can and likely will change the equation but what are people's thoughts about a state funeral for a disgraced former president?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

The so-called Trump Library is a punchline. But historically speaking it is important. But the devil is really in the details on this one. What prominent university would touch this? Historians need this information. Do we just skip Trump Library and go directly to the National Archives? Or try to find an academic home?

Part two. When a former president dies, we have a fair amount of solemn observation. How much of this is just tradition and how much of this is required? I realize future events can and likely will change the equation but what are people's thoughts about a state funeral for a disgraced former president?
    1. Liberty? Bob Jones?
    2. We seemed to strike the proper tone with Nixon. I guess it depends on if he maintains his grip on the voters. I recognize this is counting yard flags and boats, but the rank and file voters I know are NOT turning against him for the most part.

There was a nice ceremony for Nixon, so I expect there would be a ceremony for Trump, unless there are instructions to the contrary.

WRT a Trump Library: since Hoover, NARA has (National Archives) has sponsored library sites for every president. Official Trump documents are owned by the U.S. government -- even informal docs, memos, etc. They would naturally be made available to the public -- usually via some named site. Hard to think the Trumps would oppose.

I personally thought the Duke faculty was emotional and short-sighted in turning down the Nixon papers in 1981. Lots of good stuff in there, including presidential tapes.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Part of the reason that Germany has monuments like Dachau is to learn and make sure it doesn’t happen again. Following the same logic some sort of monument to the time span 2016-2020 might be worth considering.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc