Page 1208 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 2087081108115811981206120712081209121012181258 ... LastLast
Results 24,141 to 24,160 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Unfortunately, I believe the worst fears were 100% on the mark.
    A common theme over the past year, unfortunately. I remember when 100,000 COVID deaths in the USA was the upper limit estimate and JE told us there was zero chance a new Supreme Court nominee would be pushed through before the election.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I thought Mayor Muriel Bowser of DC had called up the National Guard, and they were deployed on the Mall.
    I am reading the DC mayor cannot do this. Has to be the President.

When some of us raised the red flag we were told that we were paranoid; now this.

Is there a non-zero chance that DJT attempts to declare martial law as a way to stay in power?

I think he's that desperate.

Latest tweet: “ Bret Bair reports that the request for National Guard is being "analyzed," but the Pentagon is concerned with the optics of uniformed military personnel in the Capitol Building. ”

https://twitter.com/NoahCRothman/sta...12905929785344

To recap: okay to use armed force to remove protestors from a plaza so that Trump can get a photo op, but not okay to take the US Capitol back from rioters.
    Carolina delenda est

If this continues after dark (which isn't that far off) it's going to get hideously ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Is there a non-zero chance that DJT attempts to declare martial law as a way to stay in power?

I think he's that desperate.
    Oh yeah. But my understanding is that unless he is elected to a new term, there will be a new president on January 20. If that is not Biden, it will be Pelosi.
    Carolina delenda est

MSNBC has the former sergeant at arms on and he said he is shocked that they were not prepared for this.

Trump's silence is deafening. Hopefully his cabinet is on a conference call together about applying the 25th amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If this continues after dark (which isn't that far off) it's going to get hideously ugly.
    How could it be stopped before then?
    Carolina delenda est

How could it be stopped before then?
    National Guard...but Trump won't call them in. At some point they have to warn people to leave, and it that fails they'll have to drag them out.

Oh yeah. But my understanding is that unless he is elected to a new term, there will be a new president on January 20. If that is not Biden, it will be Pelosi.
    Not saying it has a snowball's chance in Hades of working. But it sure could further de-stabilize our teetering democracy.

How long would it take to invoke the 25th amendment?

Glad to see that law enforcement has shown restraint, no rubber bullets or tear gas. After all this isn't a BLM protest.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Coming up tonight on the season finale of The Apprentice....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

CNN reporting one woman shot, although it isn't clear who did the shooting (protesters or police) and whether the woman was a protester, staff member, bystander, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Glad to see that law enforcement has shown restraint, no rubber bullets or tear gas. After all this isn't a BLM protest.
    CBS reports that the National Guard has finally been authorized. Guess this was finally deemed as important as a photo op

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I am reading the DC mayor cannot do this. Has to be the President.
    I am not an expert, but it seems Mayor Bowser got approval to call up the DC National Guard, but don’t know if there are additional forces available

is there some provision whereby a delaying tactic (such as this, in effect, is, among other things) could get congress to a point where each state gets one vote, and the GOP can thus win?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    CBS reports that the National Guard has finally been authorized. Guess this was finally deemed as important as a photo op
    Will they be toting guns or bibles, all this stuff confuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    So far, so good. Sheltering in a locked file room in a locked office suite.

-jk
    I’m sorry you and your family are going through this scary experience!

This is disgusting.