Page 1090 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 905909901040108010881089109010911092110011401190 ... LastLast
Results 21,781 to 21,800 of 26103
  1. #21781
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You’re right, all isn’t appropriate to say. Polling suggests about half of his voters believe him when he says the election was rigged. So, 35M and change. I do believe that if Trump did figure out a way to bypass things we would add to the 35M some number that shrugged their shoulders and were okay with it because their guy was back in. As you say, still a scary lot.
    I agree that not everyone who voted for Trump supports the current situation. That being said, as noted, many do. And it would be nice if more of the group who don't, particularly those who hold elected office, spoke up. Because given the long-term damage being done to faith in our electoral system, silence is consent. And I'm sure there are many on that side who think that I am others here are being melodramatic, but a) we aren't, and b) it is because we care about this country. It would be nice if more members of the media would put a microphone in front of these elected officials and not take it away until they got a yes/no answer on where they stand. Because we have gotten well past the phase of "entitled to a recount based on state law."

  2. #21782
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Third Circuit zapped the appeal from Rudy’s PA case just now. On to the Supremes I guess.

    (The order is pretty blistering, and is authored by a Trump appointee FWIW).
    C'mon, OPK, you should have given us some of the juice!

    “Voters, not lawyers, choose the President. Ballots, not briefs, decide elections,”
    “[I]ts alchemy cannot transmute lead into gold,”
    “The Campaign cites no authority suggesting that an actor discriminates by treating people equally while harboring a partisan motive,” he concludes, “and we know of none.”
    So I guess the president is not an authority. And what CNC said.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...inY?li=BBnbfcL

  3. #21783
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Third Circuit zapped the appeal from Rudy’s PA case just now. On to the Supremes I guess.

    (The order is pretty blistering, and is authored by a Trump appointee FWIW).
    Can the Supreme court just say that they've read the Third Circuit decision, they don't see anything worth reviewing, and just ignore it? I know they only rule on a small percentage of the cases that are appealed to them. I'm guessing that for political reasons this might not be an option, but it really seems like they should show deference to the lower court here and save their time for more important things.

  4. #21784
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Can the Supreme court just say that they've read the Third Circuit decision, they don't see anything worth reviewing, and just ignore it? I know they only rule on a small percentage of the cases that are appealed to them. I'm guessing that for political reasons this might not be an option, but it really seems like they should show deference to the lower court here and save their time for more important things.
    They can absolutely deny a petition for cert - with some very small exceptions not relevant here, the Supreme Court's jurisdiction over a case is entirely voluntary.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  5. #21785
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Can the Supreme court just say that they've read the Third Circuit decision, they don't see anything worth reviewing, and just ignore it? I know they only rule on a small percentage of the cases that are appealed to them. I'm guessing that for political reasons this might not be an option, but it really seems like they should show deference to the lower court here and save their time for more important things.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    They can absolutely deny a petition for cert - with some very small exceptions not relevant here, the Supreme Court's jurisdiction over a case is entirely voluntary.
    What pfrduke said. And for normal litigants, the odds of cert being granted here is zilch. Not to bog down in technicalities, but Rudy did not ask the trial court to stay its order as required and did not appeal the substantive rulings against Trump. The only issue is: whether the trial court abused its discretion in refusing to grant Trump’s second motion to amend his complaint — just days before the vote certification deadline — to add back fraud claims it had previously included but then voluntarily dismissed from the lawsuit.

    I will note that all three judges at the Third Circuit were Republicans, including the author whom Trump appointed.

  6. #21786
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    C'mon, OPK, you should have given us some of the juice!
    Here’s a link to the opening few paragraphs and the concluding ones — both worth reading:

    https://twitter.com/orinkerr/status/...495932930?s=21

  7. #21787
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Here’s a link to the opening few paragraphs and the concluding ones — both worth reading:

    https://twitter.com/orinkerr/status/...495932930?s=21
    "And federal law does not require poll watchers or specify how they may observe."

    Hold it, I thought a poll watcher was a sacred person in our country. Though people don't know what a poll watcher is. But it's sacred.

  8. #21788
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    "You've had these massive dumps. Nobody's ever seen anything like it."

    Um, we're still talking about ballots, right?
    I think that this quote is the driving force behind the trending hashtag #DiaperDon
       

  9. #21789
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    One step forward, two steps back, tweet some drivel, that's how you do the DJT shuffle:

    Biden can only enter the White House as President if he can prove that his ridiculous “80,000,000 votes” were not fraudulently or illegally obtained. When you see what happened in Detroit, Atlanta, Philadelphia & Milwaukee, massive voter fraud, he’s got a big unsolvable problem!
    Last edited by bundabergdevil; 11-27-2020 at 07:00 PM.

  10. #21790
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    One step forward, two steps back, tweet some drivel, that's how you do the DJT shuffle:

    Biden can only enter the White House as President if he can prove that his ridiculous “80,000,000 votes” were not fraudulently or illegally obtained. When you see what happened in Detroit, Atlanta, Philadelphia & Milwaukee, massive voter fraud, he’s got a big unsolvable problem!
    Logic like this makes it pretty clear why he is 1-38 in court cases at the moment.

  11. #21791
    Milwaukee County finished their recount. Biden adds 132 votes. Paid for by the Trump campaign.
       

  12. #21792
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Milwaukee County finished their recount. Biden adds 132 votes. Paid for by the Trump campaign.
    I wonder if any more donors will sue to get their money back?

  13. #21793
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Logic like this makes it pretty clear why he is 1-38 in court cases at the moment.
    Hey, a 2.6% rate of success is not all that much worse than Duke’s 3-pt percentage during the 2018 season. And they made it to the Elite 8. So don’t get too cocky, broseph. 😊
       

  14. #21794
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    I seem to recall some good natured asides on this thread about how and when the parties prioritize national debt soapboxing (hint: it's not when they're in power). So, this article title from TheHill made me laugh: Republicans Ready to Become Deficit Hawks Again Under a President Biden.

  15. #21795
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not going to link it but Trump tweeted this afternoon that Biden can't take office unless he proves his votes weren't fraudulent.

    Seriously. Some weapons-grade delusion at work here.

  16. #21796
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm not going to link it but Trump tweeted this afternoon that Biden can't take office unless he proves his votes weren't fraudulent.

    Seriously. Some weapons-grade delusion at work here.
    I need an Advent calendar counting down the last 50+ days of this administration, with a handful of Tylenol or stronger behind each day.

    Someone please make this happen, thanks in advance.

  17. #21797
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree that not everyone who voted for Trump supports the current situation. That being said, as noted, many do. And it would be nice if more of the group who don't, particularly those who hold elected office, spoke up. Because given the long-term damage being done to faith in our electoral system, silence is consent. And I'm sure there are many on that side who think that I am others here are being melodramatic, but a) we aren't, and b) it is because we care about this country. It would be nice if more members of the media would put a microphone in front of these elected officials and not take it away until they got a yes/no answer on where they stand. Because we have gotten well past the phase of "entitled to a recount based on state law."
    This is important enough that I feel compelled to underscore it.

    We're experiencing something we've never experienced.

    It is absolutely incorrigible and dangerous.

    It's long past time for the Republicans in Congress who have been disparaging this guy privately but praising him publicly (and voting with him!) to stand up.

    And it's important for those who voted for him to stand up against this actual and ongoing threat to the peaceful transfer of power to stand up.

  18. #21798
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm not going to link it but Trump tweeted this afternoon that Biden can't take office unless he proves his votes weren't fraudulent.

    Seriously. Some weapons-grade delusion at work here.
    Trump can't stop it. He can tweet all he wants.

  19. #21799
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    One step forward, two steps back, tweet some drivel, that's how you do the DJT shuffle:

    Biden can only enter the White House as President if he can prove that his ridiculous “80,000,000 votes” were not fraudulently or illegally obtained. When you see what happened in Detroit, Atlanta, Philadelphia & Milwaukee, massive voter fraud, he’s got a big unsolvable problem!
    And the answer is...

    https://ballotpedia.org/How_and_when...ized%3F_(2020)

    Perhaps Kellyanne Conway left the WH staff as lead counsel because the WH lacked understanding of the law?

  20. #21800
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central New York state
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    And the answer is...

    https://ballotpedia.org/How_and_when...ized%3F_(2020)

    Perhaps Kellyanne Conway left the WH staff as lead counsel because the WH lacked understanding of the law?
    Thanks! What's the Kellyanne Conway reference highlighting here?
       

Similar Threads

  1. MLB 2020 HOF Election
    By Blue in the Face in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-24-2020, 12:28 PM
  2. Presidential Inauguration
    By such in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •