Page 1089 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 895899891039107910871088108910901091109911391189 ... LastLast
Results 21,761 to 21,780 of 26103
  1. #21761
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Sidney Powell fights on sans client and sans (apparently) proofreader.

    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ts-in-michigan
    When I was a young lawyer in a big law firm in Denver, a number of us made the same observation. There was a tendency for a certain type of lawyer, usually a sole practitioner to go a little crazy when they got into their mid 50's and beyond. Not everyone, of course, but a significant number of these guys got eccentric, unreliable and, perhaps, a bit desperate.

    As a pup lawyer I was representing a hospital on a case where the doctor allegedly removed a woman's uterus without her permission. The "old" lawyer on the other side accused me in open court of committing a crime, authorizing this allegedly illegal surgery for personal gain. Of course, I had nothing to do with the surgery, got the case well after it happened, and quickly saw the written consent. I was pretty angry about this accusation although I think the Judge was just amused by it. I went to the senior partner in my firm who advised me just to forget it, that my opponent was once very successful, had fallen on hard times and would self destruct without any help from me. Good advice.

    Not exactly the same thing but the conduct of Rudy and Sidney Powell reminds me of a pattern that some of saw years ago.

  2. #21762
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Not exactly the same thing but the conduct of Rudy and Sidney Powell reminds me of a pattern that some of saw years ago.
    Ms. Powell is completely unhinged. Itís frightening.
       

  3. #21763
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    When I was a young lawyer in a big law firm in Denver, a number of us made the same observation. There was a tendency for a certain type of lawyer, usually a sole practitioner to go a little crazy when they got into their mid 50's and beyond. Not everyone, of course, but a significant number of these guys got eccentric, unreliable and, perhaps, a bit desperate.

    As a pup lawyer I was representing a hospital on a case where the doctor allegedly removed a woman's uterus without her permission. The "old" lawyer on the other side accused me in open court of committing a crime, authorizing this allegedly illegal surgery for personal gain. Of course, I had nothing to do with the surgery, got the case well after it happened, and quickly saw the written consent. I was pretty angry about this accusation although I think the Judge was just amused by it. I went to the senior partner in my firm who advised me just to forget it, that my opponent was once very successful, had fallen on hard times and would self destruct without any help from me. Good advice.

    Not exactly the same thing but the conduct of Rudy and Sidney Powell reminds me of a pattern that some of saw years ago.
    This is a very astute observation. And certainly not Denver-specific.
       

  4. #21764
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This is a very astute observation. And certainly not Denver-specific.
    Correct. It happened to Matthew Harrison Brady in Dayton, TN at the end of "Inherit the Wind".
       

  5. #21765
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Trump took questions today. A handful of questions really and 25 minutes of nobody has seen anything like it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg1J9k4tyAI

  6. #21766
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Trumpís election challenges not helping the Georgia Senate race:

    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...-senate-440776

  7. #21767
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Trump took questions today. A handful of questions really and 25 minutes of nobody has seen anything like it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg1J9k4tyAI
    I clicked through to the Youtube but decided to spare myself and not actually watch it. Instead I read the comments. OMG. There are some comments in there that merit law enforcement follow up.

  8. #21768
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Trump took questions today. A handful of questions really and 25 minutes of nobody has seen anything like it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg1J9k4tyAI
    Iím sorry, but how can one remain impartial in the face of this unhinged lunacy? I am literally shaking with rage after watching a video filled with nothing but outright lies, repeated defamation of character of election workers, and unfounded and insidious attacks on our entire election system.

    This is one of the most vile and repulsive things I have seen from an elected official in my entire life.
       

  9. #21769
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    "You've had these massive dumps. Nobody's ever seen anything like it."

    Um, we're still talking about ballots, right?

  10. #21770
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    It's really quite stunning to have a president completely repudiate the very basis of our democracy. I'm really not sure how our country heals from this.

    I hope the Georgia Secretary of State has good protection. He was called "An Enemy of the People". Sure he's called the media that before, but the media is kinda nebulous. Calling a person that puts his life at risk.

  11. #21771
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Trump took questions today. A handful of questions really and 25 minutes of nobody has seen anything like it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg1J9k4tyAI
    So heís agreed to leave after the electoral college vote? That constitutes progress of this administration.
       

  12. #21772
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    So heís agreed to leave after the electoral college vote? That constitutes progress of this administration.
    Tells me heís still up to no good trying to bypass the electoral designation process. But for the strong legal system and federalism distribution of powers, Trump could very well have been successful in circumventing our Democratic processes to keep himself in power. That is horrifying, all the more because heís got the support of 70M.
       

  13. #21773
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Trump took questions today. A handful of questions really and 25 minutes of nobody has seen anything like it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg1J9k4tyAI
    He says his people have not been allowed to examine voter signatures on mail-in ballots in Georgia. The next sentence he says there are tens of thousands of fraudulent signatures. How can he know the signatures are bad if his people have not seen the signatures?

    There is no logical consistency to any of this stuff.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  14. #21774
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He says his people have not been allowed to examine voter signatures on mail-in ballots in Georgia. The next sentence he says there are tens of thousands of fraudulent signatures. How can he know the signatures are bad if his people have not seen the signatures?

    There is no logical consistency to any of this stuff.
    Yet tens of millions of people believe every word out of his mouth. He really is wasting his time as president - at this point, he could sell these people anything he wants as they will believe him when he tells them that the product is "THE BEST," "THE GREATEST," etc.

  15. #21775
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Yet tens of millions of people believe every word out of his mouth. He really is wasting his time as president - at this point, he could sell these people anything he wants as they will believe him when he tells them that the product is "THE BEST," "THE GREATEST," etc.
    Shall we see the return of Trump Steaks? Trump Vodka? How about Trump: The Game for those long winter nights? And I'm still trying to figure out how we have survived without Trump Ice.

  16. #21776
    Seems like Trump fertilizer would be a no-brainer.
       

  17. #21777
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manhattan
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That is horrifying, all the more because heís got the support of 70M.
    Can we dispense with the notion that every person who voted for Trump would go the extra mile to defend him in some sort of Constitutional crisis?

    Look, I get that thereís a non-trivial number of die-hard Trump supporters out there, and that this is scary to a lot of people, but I can also confidently say that every person I know who voted for Trump:

    1. ...would do absolutely nothing if there were some form of upheaval.
    2. ...have already moved on from the election results anyway.

  18. #21778
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Third Circuit zapped the appeal from Rudyís PA case just now. On to the Supremes I guess.

    (The order is pretty blistering, and is authored by a Trump appointee FWIW).

  19. #21779
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Third Circuit zapped the appeal from Rudyís PA case just now. On to the Supremes I guess.

    (The order is pretty blistering, and is authored by a Trump appointee FWIW).
    Sets up a real opportunity to send John Roberts screaming into the forest (no, I don't think that's what's going to happen in THIS case)...

  20. #21780
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Can we dispense with the notion that every person who voted for Trump would go the extra mile to defend him in some sort of Constitutional crisis?

    Look, I get that thereís a non-trivial number of die-hard Trump supporters out there, and that this is scary to a lot of people, but I can also confidently say that every person I know who voted for Trump:

    1. ...would do absolutely nothing if there were some form of upheaval.
    2. ...have already moved on from the election results anyway.
    Youíre right, all isnít appropriate to say. Polling suggests about half of his voters believe him when he says the election was rigged. So, 35M and change. I do believe that if Trump did figure out a way to bypass things we would add to the 35M some number that shrugged their shoulders and were okay with it because their guy was back in. As you say, still a scary lot.
       

Similar Threads

  1. MLB 2020 HOF Election
    By Blue in the Face in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-24-2020, 12:28 PM
  2. Presidential Inauguration
    By such in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •