Page 564 of 697 FirstFirst ... 64464514554562563564565566574614664 ... LastLast
Results 11,261 to 11,280 of 13931
  1. #11261
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Gee, did you happen to read about the voter fraud case in NC by Republican House candidate Mark Harris. It made the national news.

    https://www.npr.org/2019/07/30/74680...e-ballot-fraud

    Your use of the Black Lives Matter button in your hypothetical was nasty, biased and unnecessary. I hope the mods agree. You could have made your point in a non-political way.
    In my example, a person who would have liked to see a “Black Lives Matter” button was tricked by a ballot harvester who wore such a button. In other words, a Republican was fraudulently converting the ballots of Democrats. Please explain how this was “nasty, biased and unnecessary.” In my original draft the button said “League of Women Voters” but I changed that in order to have a button that would demonstrate support for one side. If the button had said “Make America Great Again” would you have the same complaint?

  2. #11262
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    If Trump endorses it all we can assume is that as far as he is aware the biases in operation do not disadvantage him. Trump’s claim was that "Florida’s Voting system has been cleaned up (we defeated Democrats attempts at change), so in Florida I encourage all to request a Ballot & Vote by Mail!" I can’t find what he is referring to. Maybe it’s simply an acknowledgement that with so many elderly voters in Florida he better get their votes any way he can. Of course that would be inconsistent with the position he has taken elsewhere. If so, that would no doubt make him the first politician to ever say one thing to one group and another to another group for partisan advantage, while trying to obfuscate the contradiction.
    As long as we agree that he is being a hypocrite on the question of mail-in balloting constituting per se voter fraud, I’m cool.

    If we also agree that needlessly undermining confidence in elections is counterproductive, and in fact is a constant goal of Putin, we’re super cool.

  3. #11263
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    On the other hand allowing ballot harvesting, especially where the harvester is legally allowed to sign the voter's name, as in Nevada for disabled, elderly or illiterate voters, does seem to suggest potential problems for voting integrity.
    "[P]otenital problems" is one thing, but can you cite any evidence anywhere, any time in the U.S. that "illegal ballots" amounted to a hill of beans, much less changed the results of a federal election?
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  4. #11264
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    As long as Trump keeps giving interviews, there is literally no need for Biden to do anything in public between now and November.
    It’s not in his nature, but someone should tell him to stop all Q&A’s. From a political stand point, there are no benefits. These interviews are a gold mine for Biden’s team because they are using his own words.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 08-05-2020 at 10:08 AM.

  5. #11265
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    It’s not in his nature, but someone should tell him to stop all Q&A’s. From a political stand point, there are no benefits. These interviews are a gold mine for Biden’s team because they are using his own words.
    Yes, they are. Once again, it reinforces the notion that the format for the "debates" will have to be carefully constructed. Ultra strong moderation will be required...that probably all I can say without being sent off the ice by the refs...

  6. #11266
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    It’s not in his nature, but someone should tell him to stop all Q&A’s. From a political stand point, there are no benefits. These interviews are a gold mine for Biden’s team because they are using his own words.
    Biden's team has already turned It Is What It Is into a pretty potent ad.

    https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/...243602944?s=20
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  7. #11267
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Joe says he's not going to Mwaukee to accept the nomination, it's going to be a Delaware event for him...saves a fair amount of money I would assume...

  8. #11268
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    What was voting in person like? As a former Missourian and the child of two native St. Louisan's it's been interesting to watch Missouri go from a bellwether swing state to pretty red. I'm curious to see if the Medicaid expansion passes in Missouri.
    It was orderly. I went a little before noon. There was a wait, but not too bad.

    As you probably know by now, the Medicaid expansion did pass. But this is no indication that Missouri is anything but red for the foreseeable future.

  9. #11269
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    The less Vice President Biden says and does, and the more Donald Trump says and does, the better for Vice President Biden.

  10. #11270
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    The less Vice President Biden says and does, and the more Donald Trump says and does, the better for Vice President Biden.
    Yea, no doubt this is a true statement. Maybe I can't say this in this thread, but DT has always made many crazy and inane statements but (IMHO) he got away with them (or at least many people ignored them) prior to the pandemic taking hold in the country, when the economy was booming, unemployment was at all-time lows and the stock markets at all-time highs (and I predicted last year that I thought he would get re-elected!). But now, with 30 million people unemployed, personal and corporate bankruptcies skyrocketing, 150,000 people dead, and the virus spreading like wild fire throughout the entire country, those crazy and inane statements don't seem so harmless any more. I'm not sure what is going through his head but maybe DT is thinking that...."hey, I won the last election when I made the same sort of statements; I can win again this time". I'm not sure that will hold in this election.

  11. #11271
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    when the economy was booming, unemployment was at all-time lows and the stock markets at all-time highs (and I predicted last year that I thought he would get re-elected!). But now, with 30 million people unemployed
    I agree the economy was his strong suit. However, the July news isn't that great on that perspective. We've definitely stalled on the payroll side. The BLS numbers will be out on Friday.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/05/adp-...ectations.html

    Private payroll growth slows sharply in July amid spike in virus


    Key Points
    • Private payrolls increased by 167,000 in July, well below Wall Street estimates of 1 million.
    • All but 1,000 of the jobs came in the services sector.
    • June’s payroll count was revised sharply upward to 4.3 million, but the jobs market is nowhere close to recovering the damage from March and April.

  12. #11272
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I agree the economy was his strong suit. However, the July news isn't that great on that perspective. We've definitely stalled on the payroll side. The BLS numbers will be out on Friday.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/05/adp-...ectations.html

    Private payroll growth slows sharply in July amid spike in virus


    Key Points
    • Private payrolls increased by 167,000 in July, well below Wall Street estimates of 1 million.
    • All but 1,000 of the jobs came in the services sector.
    • June’s payroll count was revised sharply upward to 4.3 million, but the jobs market is nowhere close to recovering the damage from March and April.
    This is why many GOP Senators feel stuck between a rock and a hard place, from their point of view. Many oppose the "generosity" of the unemployment payments but they also know that broke voters are unhappy voters.

  13. #11273
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Free legal advice — if this happens to you, you’d better get a good criminal lawyer on retainer pronto:

    https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/stat...289116674?s=21

    "Deutsche Bank complied with the subpoena. Over a period of months last year, it provided Mr. Vance’s office with detailed records, including financial statements and other materials that Mr. Trump had provided to the bank as he sought loans."
    A court can’t enjoin a completed act. Once the prosecutors have it, they have it.

    Now if the asset values on the loan documents don’t match the tax values shown on the returns there could be big trouble. And if you believe Michael Cohen, they don’t. This kind of information is probably why Vance argued yesterday that his tax record subpoena goes beyond just hush money to a porn star, and my guess is that this information was leaked for a reason.

    You could make a good argument that the upcoming election is not the most important trial Trump has on the horizon.

  14. #11274
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Joe says he's not going to Mwaukee to accept the nomination, it's going to be a Delaware event for him...saves a fair amount of money I would assume...
    IMO that decision ought not be made with any regard to saving money. Not when you have The Lincoln Project around and Bloomberg in the wings. It seems to me his party lost closely in WI 4 yrs ago and he'd be wise to do what he can to remind them he cares. That doesn't require a shoulder-to-shoulder convention of course. But even making a tarmac appearance with a good speech to buoy the spirits of his party faithful, while impressing independents, and (dare I say other) moderates might be wise.

  15. #11275
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    IMO that decision ought not be made with any regard to saving money. Not when you have The Lincoln Project around and Bloomberg in the wings. It seems to me his party lost closely in WI 4 yrs ago and he'd be wise to do what he can to remind them he cares. That doesn't require a shoulder-to-shoulder convention of course. But even making a tarmac appearance with a good speech to buoy the spirits of his party faithful, while impressing independents, and (dare I say other) moderates might be wise.
    I agree that he does need to get out there a bit. I understand the thinking behind letting the incumbent damage himself at every turn and staying out the line of fire. But I do believe there is a downside if he keeps too low of a profile

  16. #11276
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I agree that he does need to get out there a bit. I understand the thinking behind letting the incumbent damage himself at every turn and staying out the line of fire. But I do believe there is a downside if he keeps too low of a profile
    Biden’s next appearance should be at Yosemite.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  17. #11277
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    The less Vice President Biden says and does, and the more Donald Trump says and does, the better for Vice President Biden.
    Mr Biden proved your point today...

  18. #11278
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Mr Biden proved your point today...
    Link? Source? Preferably something without a lot bias. All I can find is where some idiot reporter asked him if he took a cognitive test and he tore them a new one.

  19. #11279
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Mr Biden proved your point today...
    I’m curious: will you watch the debates to see how Trump and Biden fare against each other? What do you think voters will be looking for?
    Carolina delenda est

  20. #11280
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Elvis
    That's the one.
    And yes I intend on watching the debates, if they happen. It's all about issues..And I certainly am not saying DT doesn't say things that make me cringe sometimes.

Similar Threads

  1. MLB 2020 HOF Election
    By Blue in the Face in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-24-2020, 11:28 AM
  2. Presidential Inauguration
    By such in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •