Page 7 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 5678917571075071007 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    While I think it's gonna be bumper cars for the debates before Iowa, this will get winnowed down pretty quickly I think. The first month of Democratic primaries (tentative, I assume):

Mon, Feb 3 (2020)
    Iowa Caucuses

Tue, Feb 11
    New Hampshire

Sat, Feb 22
    Nevada Caucus (D)

Sat, Feb 29
    South Carolina (D)

Tue, Mar 3
    Alabama
    California
    Massachusetts
    North Carolina
    Oklahoma
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Vermont
    Virginia

Corrected -- it is 2020, not 2019. I scared myself.

I look forward to nipping over to NH to see some of the circus next year...without getting into politics (too much) the Demo primaries allow generally more access to events...GOP last time around had a whole lot more restricted access "rallies."
    Also get to regard New Hamsterites in their native habitat...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Also get to regard New Hamsterites in their native habitat...
    Is that a Habitrail with an igloo?

I am all for tradition and such but I don't know why the same states get to have the earliest primaries and thus theoretically have undue influence on the nomination process. For example, being the leading Democrat in SC is really pointless. Dems are never going to win SC in a presidential election so the opinions of SC Democrats should not be that influential - I would be much more concerned about who plays well in the purple states.

The field thins...

Billionaire Tom Steyer, a vocal critic of Trump who has repeatedly called for impeachment, is announcing that he will not run for President in 2020. I'm not sure he was that much of a contender, but his money could have made for an interesting campaign.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The field thins...

Billionaire Tom Steyer, a vocal critic of Trump who has repeatedly called for impeachment, is announcing that he will not run for President in 2020. I'm not sure he was that much of a contender, but his money could have made for an interesting campaign.
    Towards whom will he throw his money?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I am all for tradition and such but I don't know why the same states get to have the earliest primaries and thus theoretically have undue influence on the nomination process. For example, being the leading Democrat in SC is really pointless. Dems are never going to win SC in a presidential election so the opinions of SC Democrats should not be that influential - I would be much more concerned about who plays well in the purple states.
    Good question. My understanding of the current primary map is that it is done to see who has the broadest appeal. I think it is akin to mixing up your conference schedule with some "true road games" early on to see how the candidates poll against different racial, social, and economic demographics. If the first 5 states to vote were all "home court" states, for example, a candidate that was popular there might build enough momentum to push out a candidate with more mainstream and moderate appeal.

IIRC, Bernie Sanders was pretty even or slightly better than HRC in states where Dems were predominately white and in states with caucuses. But he lost handily in states where the Democratic base had high concentrations of minority voters. According to this article, 70% of African Americans preferred Hillary to Bernie, and it was one of the main reasons she won.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...rimary-n580996

Whichever states go first will always have a greater influence on the process, which is why many have pushed their way towards the front of the line. The interesting question is which voters whose preferred candidate didn't win would support the eventual nominee and which would just stay home. And I think that's key to whether the current primary strategy needs to be adjusted.
    "There can BE only one."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Towards whom will he throw his money?

-jk
    Not sure he has to throw his cash to anyone, yet instead simply keep throwing it against Trump. And that seems to be his continued plan. His mission is to see the President impeached, and he has pledged $40M for the cause.

“Most people come to Iowa around this time to announce a campaign for president,” Steyer said in his prepared remarks. “But I am proud to be here to announce that I will do whatever it takes, for as long as it takes, to remove a president.”

Among Steyer's goals: a "multi-million dollar digital initiative aimed at informing the public and members of Congress about the 10 impeachable offenses that Trump has already committed," town halls across the country, and even an "impeachment summit in late January that will bring more than 250 supporters from across the country to D.C. together to learn about historical precedent for impeachment."
    His constant barrage, without the added burden of being a candidate himself, could very well be a big thorn in Trump's side, especially if voters listen.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tom...cy-spokeswoman
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Here are a couple of reasons, CNC. (a) One advantage with the four early states is that they are individually and collectively small -- under-funded candidates can compete much better than in larger states like FL, CA, TX, NY, etc. (Also, is an advantage for PAC's, who can see how their candidates perform while conserving resources). (b) Plus, they represent four different parts of the country.

Among many problems -- why the hell have caucuses? Colorado, my home, is a caucus state. In 2008 it was -3 and snowing when our county held its caucuses. Turnout is ridiculously low and pretty much limited to the hardcore, not necessarily representative of party voters.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    [*]Lesser known politicians who have expressed some interest in running:Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard
    She's now announced.
    Rep. Tulsi Gabbard said Friday she will run for president in 2020.

"I have decided to run and will be making a formal announcement within the next week," the Hawaii Democrat told CNN's Van Jones during an interview slated to air at 7 p.m. Saturday on CNN's "The Van Jones Show."
    Gabbard, an Iraq War veteran, currently serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee. She is the first American Samoan and the first Hindu member of Congress.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/polit...nes/index.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is gonna shake up the election when it happens on May 1...

-Jason "someone went to a lot of trouble to create that fake paper... the are reportedly being distributed all over DC today" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

-Jason "someone went to a lot of trouble to create that fake paper... the are reportedly being distributed all over DC today" Evans
    Should have picked April 1st.

"Bet you a pie on that"

*resists punishable commentary*

Thank you for sharing this satirical piece.

New PBS/Marist poll: “With the 2020 presidential election already underway, 57 percent of registered voters said they would definitely vote against President Donald Trump, according to the latest poll from the PBS NewsHour, NPR and Marist.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...-trump-in-2020

Should be deeply concerning for Republicans, should they choose to believe the poll. Ripe picking for a moderate Democratic candidate although a farther left one would likely make some of these folks hold their nose and vote Republican regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    New PBS/Marist poll: “With the 2020 presidential election already underway, 57 percent of registered voters said they would definitely vote against President Donald Trump, according to the latest poll from the PBS NewsHour, NPR and Marist.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...-trump-in-2020

Should be deeply concerning for Republicans, should they choose to believe the poll. Ripe picking for a moderate Democratic candidate although a farther left one would likely make some of these folks hold their nose and vote Republican regardless.
    Those numbers are largely meaningless. Until I see specific polling data from swing states, I'm not inclined to believe any of that broad polling data. Let's not forget that Hillary won the popular vote by something like 3 millions votes. It doesn't matter how many people vote for candidates, but where they live.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Those numbers are largely meaningless. Until I see specific polling data from swing states, I'm not inclined to believe any of that broad polling data. Let's not forget that Hillary won the popular vote by something like 3 millions votes. It doesn't matter how many people vote for candidates, but where they live.
    Not to mention, as Trump/Hillary showed in 2016, being unlikable is not important if your opponent is even more unlikable.

I believe the Dems could do very well with a moderate, well respected candidate, which means they are likely to get as left and as unlikable as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I agree that a poll this early and without an identified Democrat is meaningless, but if 57% of people are voting for his opponents, there's really no realistic path to re-election. Clinton's roughly 3mm vote lead translated to a 48.2% to 46.1% margin. If number of voters stays constant (it won't) and the same percentage of voters vote third party (who knows), that would translate to a popular vote loss of 11.3 million votes. That would look a lot like 1980, where Reagan won all but 6 states and crushed carter 489 - 49.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I agree that a poll this early and without an identified Democrat is meaningless, but if 57% of people are voting for his opponents, there's really no realistic path to re-election.
    yeah, as I read this it was not 57% unfavorable. It was 57% "I will not vote for him."

If I am a Democrat, I don't get too excited yet for the reasons stated. If I am a Republican, though, the window to launch a primary challenge only lasts so long and this is a hugely worrying number. As gus states, what's the path forward for a candidate who is not likely to start suddenly winning support given where he has been mired and his (to date) lack of interest in talking to anyone but his base.

So, any thoughts of the effects of the government shutdown on the election? I'm surprised there's not more discussion on it. I've started seeing and feeling very real and tangible negative effects in my area of work. If it gets to the point of having serious effects on air travel, I think it could be a major issue for the election (I mean, it's a major issue now, but I could see it being essentially forgotten by 2020 if it were to end tomorrow). Polling shows more people blame Trump than Democrats.