Page 1088 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 885889881038107810861087108810891090109811381188 ... LastLast
Results 21,741 to 21,760 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Which, IMHO, there shouldn't be. We don't prosecute our political rivals in this country.
    What are the chances of Biden pardoning Trump as did Ford with Nixon?

It is believed that a trial of Richard Nixon, if it became necessary, could not fairly begin until a year or more has elapsed. In the meantime, the tranquility to which this nation has been restored by the events of recent weeks could be irreparably lost by the prospects of bringing to trial a former President of the United States. The prospects of such trial will cause prolonged and divisive debate over the propriety of exposing to further punishment and degradation a man who has already paid the unprecedented penalty of relinquishing the highest elective office of the United States.
    Now, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Fascinating how a person can make so much money and be so easily grifted.

Bonus: He's a uNC alum.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...2qq?li=BBnbfcL

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post

It is believed that a trial of Richard Nixon, if it became necessary, could not fairly begin until a year or more has elapsed. In the meantime, the tranquility to which this nation has been restored by the events of recent weeks could be irreparably lost by the prospects of bringing to trial a former President of the United States. The prospects of such trial will cause prolonged and divisive debate over the propriety of exposing to further punishment and degradation a man who has already paid the unprecedented penalty of relinquishing the highest elective office of the United States.
    Now, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.
    Tough needle to thread here. I don't think Dem voters want to pardon him and the Dem electorate has a fair number of people who are out for blood. It is a fundamental truth in American politics that you do not prosecute your political rivals. Rightly or wrongly, Trump has been seen as weilding the DOJ like a weapon to smite his enemies. If Biden wants a return to normalcy, he is going to have to make sure the DOJ operates as an independent body. I don't think you could pardon without furor from the left and I don't think the DOJ can go after Trump without furor on the right. This HAS to be done at the state level in my opinion. No pardon. No prosecution. But I think he pardons himself anyway, and the legality of that is only going to be decided if federal charges are sought. So he could feasibly pardon and it will be a fait accompli unless DOJ seeks charges.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Fascinating how a person can make so much money and be so easily grifted.

Bonus: He's a uNC alum.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...2qq?li=BBnbfcL
    Plenty of rich suckers in the world. And when you inject belief and identify into any equation, many people have considerable blind spots.

POTUS only asking me for $45 bucks this morning, down from the usual $250...might the tap be running dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post

Trump thrives on publicity, positive or negative. Biden should ignore him, not because of that but because he has his plate full. Biden should focus on the problems at hand, of which some are once-in-century occurrences.

I personally think that Trump's legal liabilities are in state court, especially New York, and Biden has influence there.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Plenty of rich suckers in the world. And when you inject belief and identify into any equation, many people have considerable blind spots.
    Can you introduce me to a few? Actually, I only need one. I'm not greedy.

We don't prosecute our political rivals in this country.
    Not for lack of interest (and arguably, trying) ... have you already forgotten the "lock her up" chants and related investigations?

That said, I'm a "no one is above the law" kind of person, and to me that ought to apply whether the person is a political rival or ally. It's when investigations are politically motivated and based on weak evidence or inconsistent standards that there's an abuse of power, IMO.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Not for lack of interest (and arguably, trying) ... have you already forgotten the "lock her up" chants and related investigations?

That said, I'm a "no one is above the law" kind of person, and to me that ought to apply whether the person is a political rival or ally. It's when investigations are politically motivated and based on weak evidence or inconsistent standards that there's an abuse of power, IMO.
    I have not forgotten the "lock her up" chants. They were appalling. In the end though, HRC was not prosecuted. Thank goodness. I do think Congress engages in too many politically motivated investigations not all of them though are based on weak evidence. Moving forward, I think any federal investigation of DJT would be politically motivated. If NY State wants to go after the Trump Organization, that's up to them. I don't want the POTUS to use the DOJ to settle scores no matter who is POTUS and no matter what scores the POTUS thinks need settling.

I have not forgotten the "lock her up" chants. They were appalling. In the end though, HRC was not prosecuted. Thank goodness. I do think Congress engages in too many politically motivated investigations not all of them though are based on weak evidence. Moving forward, I think any federal investigation of DJT would be politically motivated. If NY State wants to go after the Trump Organization, that's up to them. I don't want the POTUS to use the DOJ to settle scores no matter who is POTUS and no matter what scores the POTUS thinks need settling.
    HRC. did. not. commit. a. crime, which requires "intent" with regard to classified material. There's much more, which I would be happy to discuss off line.

Then there's the supposed "greatest crime in the history of the country" -- the spying on the Trump campaign. Utterly manufactured rubbish. I could also go on (and on and on).
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Any idea when SCOTUS rules on the release of the tax returns? It has been a while since the lawyers appealed the lower court ruling.

PERFECT distillation of my feelings.

Congress spends way to much time fighting about what happened, and not near enough time working towards where we need to be. JMO.

Flynn cooperated with Mueller and reportedly was very helpful which was why his plea deal was so favorable. He tried to renig on it probably to rehabilitate his Trumpism cred so he could be a Fox/OAN pundit. But the fact remains that he sang like a bird so I have no problem with the light sentence or a pardon. The whole point is for folks to not obstruct the truth in an investigation and, in the end, he didn’t.

I found the Republican talking points on Flynn to be interesting. Supposedly the
    FBI took advantage of a naive person when they interviewed him and asked him questions to which they already knew the answer. As NSA and a former Director of Defense Intelligence, Flynn should have known his phone conversation with the Russian Ambassador were monitored.

Flynn may have fallen on his sword to save his son who was rumored to be involved in some sketchy business.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    HRC. did. not. commit. a. crime, which requires "intent" with regard to classified material. There's much more, which I would be happy to discuss off line.

Then there's the supposed "greatest crime in the history of the country" -- the spying on the Trump campaign. Utterly manufactured rubbish. I could also go on (and on and on).
    I AGREE!

And I will agree to disagree with you if you think that Biden should direct the DOJ to investigate Trump.

I AGREE!

And I will agree to disagree with you if you think that Biden should direct the DOJ to investigate Trump.
    I can't speak for Sagegrouse, but I would like to suggest there's another option: leave it to the discretion of the AG and prosecutors. He doesn't have to direct anyone to do anything. Nor IMO should he.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I can't speak for Sagegrouse, but I would like to suggest there's another option: leave it to the discretion of the AG and prosecutors. He doesn't have to direct anyone to do anything. Nor IMO should he.
    Exactly. Let honest people do their job.

I AGREE!

No, we don't disagree. Biden should concentrate on the present and the future, not the past.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    No, we don't disagree. Biden should concentrate on the present and the future, not the past.
    Indeed, we do agree.

Sidney Powell fights on sans client and sans (apparently) proofreader.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ts-in-michigan