Page 706 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 2066066566967047057067077087167568061206 ... LastLast
Results 14,101 to 14,120 of 26103
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So, it's debate day. I'm still uncertain if I have the intestinal fortitude to watch, but I feel a certain obligation.
    According to the headline of this article that flashed on my screen this morning, 74% of voters are planning to watch.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...a2C?li=BBnb7Kz
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    According to the headline of this article that flashed on my screen this morning, 74% of voters are planning to watch.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...a2C?li=BBnb7Kz
    I'm planning to watch just for the train wreck quality. Besides, my wife and I need a break from real life.

I do predict that should the debate be carried on the DBR Presidential Election Thread that these two things would happen.
    1) Neither candidate will get dinged for policy discussion.
    2) Both candidates will get banned for personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I'm planning to watch just for the train wreck quality. Besides, my wife and I need a break from real life.

I do predict that should the debate be carried on the DBR Presidential Election Thread that these two things would happen.
    Gold! Love it!

Wow. We hold DBR posters to a higher standard than presidential candidates in real life.

Yikes.

And both candidates would get dinged for making statements that they cannot factually back up.
    I would also like a penalty for extreme hyberbole - over-usage of words like "biggest," "best," "greatest," etc. That would make this the best and greatest debate ever.

I suggest that a resourceful DBR poster could come up with a computer program for tonight's debate where we could have a "chat" online but the only thing we could see would be "sporks" or "flames" in real time to reflect how you think each candidate is doing at the moment.

Go at it!

I am a bit tired of it all so won't be watching but if you see some boxing gloves on the podium or a steel cage being rolled out I may tune in. Seeing these props would indicate the train wreck is on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    I suggest that a resourceful DBR poster could come up with a computer program for tonight's debate where we could have a "chat" online but the only thing we could see would be "sporks" or "flames" in real time to reflect how you think each candidate is doing at the moment.

Go at it!
    Those sporks and flames would be colored by your self-assigned political preference, i.e. blue sporks if you are blue, red sporks if you are red, etc. I think folks around here are a lot better than the rest of the population at admitting biases but they will still influence people's perspectives on the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Those sporks and flames would be colored by your self-assigned political preference, i.e. blue sporks if you are blue, red sporks if you are red, etc. I think folks around here are a lot better than the rest of the population at admitting biases but they will still influence people's perspectives on the debate.
    And the undecideds could be purple!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I am a bit tired of it all so won't be watching but if you see some boxing gloves on the podium or a steel cage being rolled out I may tune in. Seeing these props would indicate the train wreck is on the way.
    Two septuagenarians enter, one septuagenarian exits?

Two septuagenarians enter, one septuagenarian exits?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Must see t.v. for me.

Will Biden be on point and articulate? If so, it will go a long way toward dispelling the narrative that he is cognitively impaired?

How will Trump respond to the tax return issue? I thought the best points made by Hilary in the last debates were concerning Trump's refusal to produce tax returns. The returns would say, according to Hilary, that Trump wasn't as rich as he claimed, wasn't as generous as he claimed or didn't pay his fair share of taxes. Trump will probably avoid the issue but I'm interested in how he responds.

How does Covid19 play out in this?

Lots of interesting issues in the ultimate reality t.v. show.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Must see t.v. for me.

Will Biden be on point and articulate? If so, it will go a long way toward dispelling the narrative that he is cognitively impaired?

How will Trump respond to the tax return issue? I thought the best points made by Hilary in the last debates were concerning Trump's refusal to produce tax returns. The returns would say, according to Hilary, that Trump wasn't as rich as he claimed, wasn't as generous as he claimed or didn't pay his fair share of taxes. Trump will probably avoid the issue but I'm interested in how he responds.

How does Covid19 play out in this?

Lots of interesting issues in the ultimate reality t.v. show.
    Ditto for me. I watched the first presidential debate between Nixon and Kennedy (in Kilgo Quad)and haven't missed many since then.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I mean this as a serious, mundane, non-controversial question, and directed not at symphony139 but to anyone who has a sense of Chris Wallace and the news folks at Fox News (as opposed to nighttime entertainers).

Are Fox News and Wallace in particular now included in the pejorative connotation of “MSM”?
    Just yesterday I saw a linked article from Fox that said something along the lines of "MSM won't report on blahblahblah". Which I thought was pretty funny; I guess the largest news network in existence doesn't consider themselves to be "mainstream".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think this has been addressed on this thread before, but I still think that there is a greater than zero chance that this debate doesn't happen tonight or ever. Yesterday, Trump was tweeting about Biden refusing drug tests and Don Jr and Rudy G. were all over the news claiming the same thing. Would anyone be surprised if an hour ahead of time we hear that Trump is refusing to participate without a drug test? On a related note, has anyone checked the whizzinator website for a possible purchase by D. Trump or J. Biden?

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I think this has been addressed on this thread before, but I still think that there is a greater than zero chance that this debate doesn't happen tonight or ever. Yesterday, Trump was tweeting about Biden refusing drug tests and Don Jr and Rudy G. were all over the news claiming the same thing. Would anyone be surprised if an hour ahead of time we hear that Trump is refusing to participate without a drug test? On a related note, has anyone checked the whizzinator website for a possible purchase by D. Trump or J. Biden?
    I have a federal appointed case years ago where a guy got his probation yanked for using a whizzinator. I was joking with the agent in the hall before the hearing that I was gonna object without the item being introduced into evidence, and he says "oh, well -- I got it right here" and pulls it out.

Needless to say, my guy copped to it and we avoided showing a nice genteel federal judge said item.

A few questions:

Are drug tests the new birtherism (is that a word?)? It is so embarrassing that Americans are so distracted by all of the shiny objects that Trump keeps throwing at them.

Got to go. I think I saw Superman fly by.

Given Trump's standing in the polls, I can't see him ditching the debate. It is probably his best shot at making the race into... well... a race.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It would be much more interesting if they both took Covid tests before the debate. You could opt out of the test if you were willing to participate in one of the vaccine trials.

We would really see how much faith the candidates have in solutions to the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Given Trump's standing in the polls, I can't see him ditching the debate. It is probably his best shot at making the race into... well... a race.
    You beat me to it. If Trump skips this, Biden won't need to make Trump into a laughingstock. The entire comedic world will be having a field day doing it for him. Trump certainly won't make up any ground by ditching the debates.