Page 1300 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 30080012001250129012981299130013011302 ... LastLast
Results 25,981 to 26,000 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    An "I pardon Tiger King. Signed, Donald J Trump" tramp stamp would be a good look for you.
    Hot take: Pardoning Tiger King is the single biggest thing he could do to reverse the legacy cratering narrative post-January 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Greatest moment of GOP-Dem cooperation of the past decade...

-Jason "Laura always has the candy!" Evans
    I'm not crying you're crying Jason!

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Exactly, Jason. And, Trump is under no legal obligation to make all of his pardons public. For example, he can preemptively pardon his children. Any pardon(s) can remain secret until (if) the grantee is charged with a federal crime.
    Is that true? I’ve never heard that and not sure how that would work once he’s gone. I’ve seen theories that he could just put them in a safe, but nothing would stop him from backdating one in the future after he has left office.

It would be challenged, for sure. At minimum, Trump would have to testify that he signed it before noon tomorrow and be subject to cross-examination I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I won't take that bet because I think you are correct and I don't trust you to follow through with the delivery of proper biscuits. No one wants a turkey and granola biscuit. No one.
    How do we know if we haven't tried?

"pocket" pardons

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is that true? I’ve never heard that and not sure how that would work once he’s gone. I’ve seen theories that he could just put them in a safe, but nothing would stop him from backdating one in the future after he has left office.

It would be challenged, for sure. At minimum, Trump would have to testify that he signed it before noon tomorrow and be subject to cross-examination I would think.
    Yes, this is true. The former head of the pardon office of the Justice Department (the government entity that usually handles this) has discussed and affirmed it in interviews.

This morning's postings are what punchdrunk looks like with 25 hours left to stagger over the finish line.

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Yes, this is true. The former head of the pardon office of the Justice Department (the government entity that usually handles this) has discussed and affirmed it in interviews.
    Thanks. Interesting.

If he does so, he would be smart to videotape him signing the pardons while still in the Oval as opposed to having folks rely on his word (and the word of his still-lfet loyalist allies) that he did it while still president. A little free legal advice to the Big Man as a parting gift.

Thanks. Interesting.

If he does so, he would be smart to videotape him signing the pardons while still in the Oval as opposed to having folks rely on his word (and the word of his still-lfet loyalist allies) that he did it while still president. A little free legal advice to the Big Man as a parting gift.
    He has a somewhat unique relationship with "the truth." So why should that change going forward? He will do what he wants to do and revise history as necessary to suit his needs. I think that has become pretty clear over the last four years. Yet another norm of presidential behavior the authors of the constitution didn't think to codify as they didn't think someone would have the chutzpah to behave otherwise.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hot take: Pardoning Tiger King is the single biggest thing he could do to reverse the legacy cratering narrative post-January 6th.
    Yeah, no. There is a significant gender bias in the way Tiger King is perceived.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    LOL. "Must be present to claim prize."
    "Must spread sporks"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Yeah, no. There is a significant gender bias in the way Tiger King is perceived.
    I like to think I’ve built up enough of a track record to mostly not be taken seriously around here! I see I have work to do still.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Let's be fair, it's unlikely Tiffany and Barron broke any federal laws.
    a thin American dime to anyone who remembers "Call me Baron, stupid!"

Keep in mind, that offering a pardon appears to be for a crime one has committed, admitted or been charged with BEFORE the date of the pardon. I am inferring this from comments made in the attached article.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...s-briefs-case/

Trump specified the exact crime for which Flynn was being pardoned and it occurred before the date of the pardon.

Now if Trump wishes to offer pardons to his family it appears logical that the family members need to admit to or be charged with the federal crime. If the pardon is valid that does not remove the "admission".

So, for example if DJT Jr. decides to run for office and someone asks..."Were you pardoned for "inciting violence that lead to an insurrection?" DJT Jr then answers "Yes, but you can not prosecute me." However, by his own admission he has now violated the 14th amendment and is not eligible to hold a federal office.

Lots of unintended consequences to having a pardon.

p.s Do I get any course credits on Public Policy for reading this thread?

Pompeo without a hint of irony:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SecPompeo...63821282824194

Or shame. Ugh. Radically different vision and understanding of America

https://mobile.twitter.com/SecPompeo...37398564286466

Allow me to be a bit miffed at CNN here...

I see the headline, "Several dozen' of Trump's pardons pushed by criminal justice reform groups, source says"

I think to myself, it would be nice to read about some of the good the Trump is doing on his last day. I know he got through a major criminal justice reform bill that should be listed as one of his positive accomplishments. It's an issue that I care about and champion. So, I click on the article to read about some of these pardons.

LOL! Jokes on me. It was Click bait. Stupid Trump hating CNN. True to their heart,even on the last day. It's a hit piece about all the bad pardons that Trump is likely to hand out. There is a grand total of one line about pardons recommended by criminal justice reform advocates...and that's the first sentence.

Several dozen of President Donald Trump's final slate of more than 100 pardons and commutations will be doled out to individuals whose cases have been championed by criminal justice reform advocates, a source close to the process tells CNN.
    Now, I'm not against an article about all the bad pardon's Trump is likely to grant...but then make that clear in the headline so I can read that story if I want that story.

Jaosn, we've been driving this old crate of a thread for over two years. It's been tough driving on a rocky road. Kind of an adventure movie. Don't we get to blow it up at the end?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

I see the headline, "Several dozen' of Trump's pardons pushed by criminal justice reform groups, source says"

I think to myself, it would be nice to read about some of the good the Trump is doing on his last day. I know he got through a major criminal justice reform bill that should be listed as one of his positive accomplishments. It's an issue that I care about and champion. So, I click on the article to read about some of these pardons.

LOL! Jokes on me. It was Click bait. Stupid Trump hating CNN. True to their heart,even on the last day. It's a hit piece about all the bad pardons that Trump is likely to hand out. There is a grand total of one line about pardons recommended by criminal justice reform advocates...and that's the first sentence.

Now, I'm not against an article about all the bad pardon's Trump is likely to grant...but then make that clear in the headline so I can read that story if I want that story.
    I thought we left complaining about the media behind a few thousand posts ago?

2. Departure crowd size -- Trump is trying to get a huge crowd to see him off early tomorrow morning in the cold out at Andrews. Word is, RSVP's are pretty light. This is only intersting to watch for me in that Trump sees crowd size as a proxy for his popularity.

I, Donald J. Trump had the largest send-off for a disgraced president leaving the White House without attending his successor's inauguration but instead flying directly to Florida in U.S. history.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Jaosn, we've been driving this old crate of a thread for over two years. It's been tough driving on a rocky road. Kind of an adventure movie. Don't we get to blow it up at the end?
    What that might look like (NSFW)
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

I like you get frustrated with all of the News media slipping in "Opinion" in 'News" articles. Can someone make an app that detects the difference so I read only the "News".